Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
May
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 12 February 2018 - Why people overspend on holidays

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,011 Teacher
We read an article which outlined the reasons why people spend more money than normal when they are on holidays:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20170919-why-so-many-people-overspend-on-their-holidays

Vocabulary Top 10:

splurge - to spend more money than usual on something

back to work blues - a feeling of sadness or depression when you go back to work after your holiday

susceptible - easily affected, influenced, or harmed by something

on the fly - quickly and often without preparation

malleable - capable of being easily changed or influenced

denomination - the value that a particular coin or bill has; an amount of money that something is worth

get carried away - to be so excited that you are no longer in control of your behavior

FOMO - Fear Of Missing Out

the pull of something - an ability or power to attract someone or to make someone want to go somewhere, do something, etc.

on par with - at the same level or standard as someone or something else

Do you spend the same, more, or less than normal when you are on holidays?
Do you think it is ok to spend more when you are on holidays? Why/why not?

Comments

• BassaBassa Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    Hi @NatashaT ,
    I have to be honest? Yes I’m One of that spend a lot during holidays...
    Believe me, I’m not a person that generally waste money but, when you are travelling something change your mentality...
    I don’t know what but I feel like a filter between me , the place I’m and the real life of routine days...
    It’s like if this filter the brain put, make you believe that what you are doing on holidays will not affect your “real life”, as for example your bank account:)
    Infortunately when you come back you realize:)...

What to say, right or not?
    I just think, in my case and also for a lot people that this is a natural process set by our brains in order to make ourself relaxed, losing all links with normal life...
    So, right or not, if it’s proper for my health..welcome ! :)

If a person has the money to go on holidays, I think that come back to home with a little bit of money less, will don’t make the difference ! ;)
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,011 Teacher
    I guess it depends on whether you are just spending money that you have, or if all this spending is going on your credit card instead!! :D :D @Bassa

It's a pity we don't get a special bank account when we go on holidays, like you get extra lives or money in games when they have a bonus level!
  • DiakhaDiakha Posts: 80 ✭✭
    @Bassa @NatashaT As for me I thibk it's just normal to spend during holidays a bit more than usual because this is moment you have been waiting for an preparing for a while with the aim to relax, to have fun, to enjoy. So yes! You can't do that the same way I was used to do in normal life. But as I said during the discussions, it's good to know about all this psychologist things thing going on around our mentality. It help, in the sens that by knowing them you will decide to spend as you would feel, without having to eventually regret afterwards.