Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Bucket list

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,761 ✭✭✭✭
    If you want to visit Pakistan @Shishio13, talk to @Bubbly as she'd be able to advise you. I know that Pakistan is doing a lot to encourage foreign tourism, though there are still areas of the country where it might not be so safe to go. I will return one day.

Let me know if you want to visit Nepal as I used to live there and return every year.
  • Shishio13Shishio13 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    Thanks @mheredge . I'll let you know when I travel to there
    My problem is that I still have too many places on my bucket list!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

@GemmaRowlands when I visited South Africa last year, not far from Cape Town there were a couple of places where you could see them very easily (not this species, but the cutest imaginable).

South Africa is an amazing place. I definitely want to go back there again.

They're beautiful. I love watching documentaries about penguins, as I find their lives very fascinating indeed.
  • JuliannaJulianna Posts: 38 ✭✭
    I already have my bucket list.My husband and son also have their own lists, so it’s very difficult for us to coordinate all this, because our desires are sometimes the same, but sometimes they are very different. This is my five countries where I would like to visit:
    1. Norway (famous fjords and Preikestolen), 2.New Zealand,
    3. Cambodia,
    4. Japan (during the flowering of sakura) and 5.Peru.
    I like your Bucket List @Julianna. I am lucky enough to have been able to visit all five and loved every one of them.
    Julianna said:

I already have my bucket list.My husband and son also have their own lists, so it’s very difficult for us to coordinate all this, because our desires are sometimes the same, but sometimes they are very different. This is my five countries where I would like to visit:

1. Norway (famous fjords and Preikestolen), 2.New Zealand,

3. Cambodia,

4. Japan (during the flowering of sakura) and 5.Peru.

They sound like wonderful places to visit, and I would like to visit Norway too, as I have heard that it is very beautiful indeed.
    I never realised how I didn't have to go far at all to visit a lovely medieval village. I had never gone there before and so yesterday was very happy exploring it.

• HermineHermine Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭✭
    The huge pot with flowers in it is an eyecatcher. I love it.
    Everyone in this village had lots of beautiful pot plants on their balconies and doorsteps @Hermine. It was really lovely to just walk around to admire them.
    mheredge said:

I never realised how I didn't have to go far at all to visit a lovely medieval village. I had never gone there before and so yesterday was very happy exploring it.

That looks like a beautiful place, and exactly the kind of place that I like to stay when I am on holiday.
    They have quite a few little guest houses or rooms here @GemmaRowlands. The arriere pays (back country) has loads of little villages like this. They are cooler in the summer so quite a few people go to them to escape the heat.
    I keep returning so I'm not sure it counts as being on the bucket list, but going to Kanchanchunga Base Camp is on the list within Nepal. This is right at the farthest eastern side of Nepal. It should then take about three weeks to hike to the lower part of the Everest region along the lower route that goes through villages at 2000-4000m. The high route is over high passes and is mainly uninhabited. It's too hardcore for me.

A new edition of Off the Beaten Track – on The Great Himalayan Trail, by Robin Boustead has just come out. He's the authority on this trail and I am planning to walk some of it next October (anyone want to join me?)

As the name 'British Isles' suggests, Britain is made up of many islands.

This article describes hikes on ten islands. There are Buddhist prayer flags flying on the Holy Isle in the Firth of Clyde. It is a Tibetan Buddhist vision realised on an unspoilt island where residents live in harmony with nature

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/may/11/10-great-walks-britain-tiny-islands-islandeering-coastal-trails?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZW5kLTE5MDUxMQ==&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email
    Travelling on this railway line from Beijing to Lhasa is on my bucket list.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/tanggula-railway-station?utm_source=Atlas+Obscura+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=ca75be1f34-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_05_13&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f36db9c480-ca75be1f34-65904101&ct=t(EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_05_13_2019)&mc_cid=ca75be1f34&mc_eid=5918298398

This station is said to be the highest in the world. It is one of the many unmanned stations on the line.

I dreamed of coming to the Danube Delta as a teenager and at last I have made it. It's surpassing all expectations and I am really loving it here. Boats, birds, nature, the sea and being with great company, it's a perfect combination.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    It's great you've finally fulfilled your dream @mheredge . Does it mean that your bucker list became shorter or the gap will be filled in with something else?
    The list is forever getting longer, but for the moment it is shorter @Vok. For example, until a couple of weeks ago I hadn't heard of Lviv (or Lyov) but it's on my bucket list and with luck I'll be there in about ten days.
    mheredge said:

The list is forever getting longer, but for the moment it is shorter @Vok. For example, until a couple of weeks ago I hadn't heard of Lviv (or Lyov) but it's on my bucket list and with luck I'll be there in about ten days.

I think it's always good to keep adding to the list, as it gives you plenty to work on, and certainly a lot to look forward to.
    Odessa was on the bucket list. It's more than met expectations and I'm loving it here.
    My friend asked me where I'd like to go in the world and I said Bolivia and Ecuador are perhaps top of the bucket list, with Antarctica as close third place.
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge, Marianne you could tell us more about your expierences by seeing foreign countries.
    I feel like an armchair traveller.
    Hermine said:

@mheredge, Marianne you could tell us more about your expierences by seeing foreign countries.
    I feel like an armchair traveller.

I also like to hear about other people's experiences, as it almost gives me a taste of what it's like even though I'm not there myself.
    Have a look at the road trip topic if you haven't already seen it @Hermine. Here I have tried to record a bit about my latest travels. When I get back I'll add photos to the comments.

I am planning to return home only for a couple of days and then I will come back to Genoa for a long weekend as there's a very interesting event taking place that I want to join.
    I added something new to my bucket list yesterday. As many of you know I play in a brass band, but it is now my aim to play with a band at the Royal Albert Hall in London!
    mheredge said:
    The wildlife in Scotland is just amazing, and I also love visiting the breweries over there, although I know you don't drink so I doubt it would be as good for you to visit!
    The Orkney Islands are very much on my bucket list. Are there any distilleries there?
    mheredge said:

The Orkney Islands are very much on my bucket list. Are there any distilleries there?

Yes, there's Scarpa, which I've actually been to. The best once I've seen has been on the Isle of Arran though. I actually felt quite tipsy by the end as they gave out lots of free samples, and I was only just old enough to drink at the time so I hadn't built up any tolerance to alcohol at that point!