Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Bucket list

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,671 ✭✭✭✭
    Whisky is quite a strong drink. I certainly wouldn't want to try too many samples.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

Whisky is quite a strong drink. I certainly wouldn't want to try too many samples.

It is indeed. The samples were only very small, but definitely strong enough!
    When it is so hot I can't really think about the places I would like to visit like Corsica and Sardinia. Their speciality is wine and no doubt some very alcoholic fire water.
    mheredge said:

When it is so hot I can't really think about the places I would like to visit like Corsica and Sardinia. Their speciality is wine and no doubt some very alcoholic fire water.

I can't drink alcohol at all when it's hot. All I ever want are water and ice lollies, and that's it!
    Even though it is a hot drink, I find tea refreshing even when it is a hot day. Maybe the wind has dropped, but it seems much warmer than usual this evening so I'm having to sit with the fan by my side.
    mheredge said:

Even though it is a hot drink, I find tea refreshing even when it is a hot day. Maybe the wind has dropped, but it seems much warmer than usual this evening so I'm having to sit with the fan by my side.

I can't drink it on a hot day, but I do find it refreshing when I am thirsty, which doesn't really make much sense.
    You're making me thirsty - I think I need a cup of tea.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭
    Seems like a list of random places to me. Never been to anywhere near those places, most of them never even heard of before. I must have visited some of them @mheredge . Am I right?
    @Vok I have been to four on the list, but I had thought they were already listed. Jaipur has some incredible architecture, worthy of being listed, and Bagan in Myanmar is a beautiful complex of temples. Paraty in Brazil I think comes under natural beauty or something. And the Guggenheim again was another I thought already on the list.

I am ticking off another place from my bucket list on Saturday as I will be visiting Savona for the day. Do you know this place @filauzio? Apparently there is an art exhibition going on at the city art gallery.
    Vok said:

Seems like a list of random places to me. Never been to anywhere near those places, most of them never even heard of before. I must have visited some of them @mheredge . Am I right?

I thought that, too. But I am determined to see some of the places that I have never seen before, as there must be some reason that they are on the list!
    edited July 12
    @GemmaRowlands you have plenty to choose from. As of July 2019, there are 1,121 World Heritage Sites (869 cultural, 213 natural, and 39 mixed properties) in 167 countries. Top with the most sites (55) are Italy and China, followed by Spain (48), Germany (46), France (45), India (38), and Mexico (35). There are 32 in the UK. I think I've been to 20/32, not that I'm really counting!. I have a friend who not content with having visited most of the countries in the world, is now collecting World Heritage Sites.

https://everything-everywhere.com/unesco-world-heritage-sites-united-kingdom/

Liverpool's Mercantile City is on the list:

Your point about 'random' places however is very valid as this year there is a lot of skepticism over the validity of some of the additions to the list.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/good-news-unesco-world-heritage-committee-appears-finding-marc-patry/?fbclid=IwAR1Vw-lw8yg-wVBNtNdSVz2xzw5kjhjO3eDmq1kfo1nWHWKDb1-6NLZdLOM
    Post edited by mheredge on
    mheredge said:

@GemmaRowlands you have plenty to choose from. As of July 2019, there are 1,121 World Heritage Sites (869 cultural, 213 natural, and 39 mixed properties) in 167 countries. Top with the most sites (55) are Italy and China, followed by Spain (48), Germany (46), France (45), India (38), and Mexico (35). There are 32 in the UK. I think I've been to 20/32, not that I'm really counting!. I have a friend who not content with having visited most of the countries in the world, is now collecting World Heritage Sites.

https://everything-everywhere.com/unesco-world-heritage-sites-united-kingdom/

Liverpool's Mercantile City is on the list:

Your point about 'random' places however is very valid as this year there is a lot of skepticism over the validity of some of the additions to the list.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/good-news-unesco-world-heritage-committee-appears-finding-marc-patry/?fbclid=IwAR1Vw-lw8yg-wVBNtNdSVz2xzw5kjhjO3eDmq1kfo1nWHWKDb1-6NLZdLOM

I knew about the Liverpool one - I've been there many times, it's just around the corner from me. I have in fact been to many that are on the list. I don't think I will ever make the full list, but it gives me a lot to keep me busy at least.
    It seems that there is less attention paid to the 'experts' and more to public opinion when it comes to choosing the sites. It is becoming more a case of 'let's get inscribed as it will be good for tourism.'

If everywhere gets listed then somehow I think it loses value. The article makes some interesting points on this.
    As tourism explodes, it is all the more important to be aware of how to be a good tourist.

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20190618-how-to-be-a-better-tourist?fbclid=IwAR16zBY15TNlq5p9_a5PcwPYvYbL5kej0uDvge2JTdrIRfzjtBxE-VNXeTM

This language-free sign board in Kyoto shows the things tourists should not do.

mheredge said:

As tourism explodes, it is all the more important to be aware of how to be a good tourist.

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20190618-how-to-be-a-better-tourist?fbclid=IwAR16zBY15TNlq5p9_a5PcwPYvYbL5kej0uDvge2JTdrIRfzjtBxE-VNXeTM

This language-free sign board in Kyoto shows the things tourists should not do.

You would hope that this kind of behaviour would be obvious to avoid, but clearly lots of people still need to be reminded!
    edited July 18
    I have to agree that places where there are lot of tourists can suffer. A friend of mine lives on the Promenade des Anglais and says that from July to August it is hell when tourists take over the neighbouring apartments. They treat the place as if they own it and don't pay any attention to the people who live there. I think there's an apartment opposite me that is probably being rented out as there is a lot of noise and normally the place is closed up.
    Post edited by mheredge on
    mheredge said:

I have to agree that places where there are lit of tourists can suffer. A friend of mine lives on the Promenade des Anglais and says that from July to August it is hell when tourists take over the neighbouring apartments. They treat the place as if they own it and don't pay any attention to the people who live there. I think there's an apartment opposite me that is probably being rented out as there is a lot of noise and normally the place is closed up.

I think it's easy to forget sometimes when you're on holiday that you're walking around people's home. It's the same when people live in UK seaside villages I think!
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 8,011 mod
    I've to say we cannot put all tourists in one pot. Some of them behaving well whereas people who appear in peers (ig. men) behave as if they were aged 10.

The other day I slept over at an inn in the mountains and the mounteneers were quiet and well behaved at the dining room.
    No greedy eater. Families and single people entertainted themself for well an hour until the meals were served. The atmospere there was very familiar and I wished lots of people could experience what life could be. Not spending valuable lifetime in large entertaining shops.
    @Hermine do you mean that people who come in groups?

I find people who make the effort to go to a quiet, rural spot often don't make so much noise and behave themselves. The few times I have spent the night in remote Club Alpin hostels in the mountains for example, everyone has always behaved themselves. But I guess there will always be exceptions.

Unfortunately in places where the beer is cheap, there are cheap flights and where it is easy to get to, these destinations have become very popular for the wrong reasons.
    Hermine said:

I've to say we cannot put all tourists in one pot. Some of them behaving well whereas people who appear in peers (ig. men) behave as if they were aged 10.

The other day I slept over at an inn in the mountains and the mounteneers were quiet and well behaved at the dining room.
    No greedy eater. Families and single people entertainted themself for well an hour until the meals were served. The atmospere there was very familiar and I wished lots of people could experience what life could be. Not spending valuable lifetime in large entertaining shops.

I think it depends on why they're going as well. If they're on a hen or stag party it's very different to a relaxing spa break with a group of friends.
    Not only is there an increasing movement to reduce flying, but in the UK it is being suggested air travellers should to pay a carbon charge to offset emissions. France has already said that they will start to impose this from next year.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/22/air-travellers-may-have-to-pay-carbon-charge-to-offset-emissions?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA3MjM=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email
  • VokVok Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge I hate to say that but it's fair. How they will use money collected is another question, though.
    Vok said:

@mheredge I hate to say that but it's fair. How they will use money collected is another question, though.

I also agree that it's fair, as we need to do something to save our planet before it really is too late, and this would at least be a start.
    I totally agree with you @Vok, not that I think it will reduce the amount of flying people will do.

I do know one airline however, that plants lots of trees to try to offset their carbon footprint.
    mheredge said:

I totally agree with you @Vok, not that I think it will reduce the amount of flying people will do.

I do know one airline however, that plants lots of trees to try to offset their carbon footprint.

That's quite a good thing for them to do. I believe more should do the same, along with companies that work in other kinds of industries where their carbon footprint would be high.
    With all the summer strikes at Heathrow and disruption to flights by British Airways, this should be helping a little bit in reducing the carbon footprint of flying. I only wish I could travel overland to Nepal when I go in three weeks. It used to be possible during the 1970s and what an adventure this must have been.

@Practical_Severard I met some Russians yesterday who had driven all the way from Moscow in four days. They had already been to Nice before, and I met them on the train on their way to visiting Monaco. They were then planning to visit Genoa @filauzio.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5
    mheredge said:

@Practical_Severard I met some Russians yesterday who had driven all the way from Moscow in four days. They had already been to Nice before, and I met them on the train on their way to visiting Monaco.

Yes, some people do it. My brother's family drives for holidays though their furthermost destination was Vienna. It took 2 days as far as I remember.

@Practical_Severard I didn't recognise the name of their first stop, but they came via Zurich, then Lyon and Marseille before Nice. They said they enjoy travelling a lot. I told them that Russia is on my bucket list and I will be keen to visit as soon as the new visa rules come into effect.
    This two week road trip starts off with the Alhambra in Granada marking the start of a road trip that takes in historic cities, a river valley and mountains, ending in Almería’s spaghetti western desert.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/aug/07/spain-road-trip-granada-alhambra-almeria-spaghetti-western?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA4MDg=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

La Iruela fairy tale castle.