Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
March
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM - 27 February 2018 - Data detox

We read an article about a program which explores and tidies your digital life:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20171110-the-8-day-guide-to-a-better-digital-life

Vocabulary Top 10:

coincide - to happen at the same time as something else

detox - (short for detoxification) - to remove a poisonous or harmful substance from (something)

bloat - too much growth

hound - to chase or bother (someone or something) in a constant or determined way

disarming - tending to remove any feelings of unfriendliness or distrust;

BFF - Best Friend(s) Forever

innocuous - not likely to bother or offend anyone; harmless

context collapse - the process by which connections from various aspects of individuals' lives are flattened into a single, homogeneous group http://hlwiki.slais.ubc.ca/index.php/Context_collapse_in_social_media

bugbear - something that causes problems or annoys people

ensue - to come at a later time : to happen as a result

Are you worried about what kind of information you are sharing online?
Have you ever done a 'data detox'?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,604 mod
    I try to use internet safely, but as we all know there is always one or another queer person who tries to be "funny" by stealing your personal information like your password or your bank account etc etc.
    Until now, I'm still safe and if, in spite of all the precautions, somebody managed to break through the anti spam, anti virus and all the other protection ... what could I do?
    I hope only that I will find it out soon enough to limit the damage; if it is possible.

Data Detox?
    Actually, I don't really care about which datas I have left online while searching something, surfen or using social media websites.
    I'm sure it won't harm me.
    It annoys me sometimes though, when Google says, "you have visited this website today".
    So what? I forgot that word again, Google! May I?? :)
    I can imagine that the Dictionary websites will think: "There you have April again. She is searching for the same word again and again. When will she learn to remember that?"
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 984 Teacher
    Actually, maybe that data about your dictionary searches would be useful, @april ! You could create your own personal dictionary! :D
  • aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,721 mod
    Should you cover your webcam?