Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
May
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 13 March 2018 - The death of spending on clothing

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,026 Teacher
We read an article which explained why people are spending less and less money on clothing:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-death-of-clothing/

Vocabulary Top 10:

woes - problems or troubles; a feeling of great pain or sadness

brick & mortar - used to describe a traditional store or business that is in a building instead of on the Internet

stalwart - very loyal and dedicated; dependable; physically strong

demise - the end of something that is thought of as being like a death

brew - to start to form

chalk it up to - to explain (something) by stating its cause : to say that (something) was caused by (something)

upshot - the final result or outcome of a process, discussion, etc.

twentysomething - a person who is between 20 and 29 years old

wardrobe staple - an important piece of clothing that is used often (staple = something that is used widely and often)

messy - not clean or tidy; carelessly made or done, not careful or precise

Do you think you spend less money now on clothing than in the past?
Do you prefer to spend money on clothing, technology or experiences?

Comments

• NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,026 Teacher
    Sorry @april , you were right - upshot is the result of something! I'm not sure why I thought it was a benefit (none of the dictionaries I can find agree with me :D )
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,792 mod
    edited March 2018
    It's okay, @NatashaT , now I can sleep happily and dream sweetly. :D
  • MohamedgamalMohamedgamal Posts: 21 Inactive
    Spending less money on clothes is impossible if we are searching for good quality,farthermore it’s related to everyone needs , But maybe we shouldn’t buy clothes more than twice a year
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,792 mod
    Want it or not, like it or not, but I spend, or waste more and more money on taxes.
    Which category does it belong to?
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I need to spend money on clothing, as anyone who is not so keen to go outdoors naked.

Maybe you could decide just to put on the Adam ( first man appeared on The Earth, according to the Bible ) suit, which nothing else was but just a fig's leave, but societal rules would ban it.

However, when I go shopping clothing, I invariably look for something casual, to be worn at as many occasions as possible, skipping systematically anything too formal.

Any piece of clothing has to be made of good quality fabric, be comfortable, easy to wear without limiting movements.

It also has to provide a reasonable cost in relation to its quality.

I don't care fashion, but maybe fashion is so powerful and spread that it influences your choices even when you feel secure you can resist being hooked by it.

Fashion keeps using subtle methods; it's winking and luring you from magazines, newspapers, TV/radio, socials, etc, so it finally makes it to have you affectionate customer.

Ads feature celebrities to strengthen their message.

The role of socials influencer cannot be overlooked as well.

I'm aware they mostly prey on teenagers: that's no surprise, because youngsters still lack a fully developed personality, along with awareness of their uniqueness.

They prioritize their herd's needs above full consciousness of their individuality.

That's why the upshot is that all members of a tribe of teenagers dress alike, from head to toe.

Which all is understandable.

Nevertheless, I suppose sometimes trendmakers are mischievous; it seems like some pieces of clothing have been designed on purpose to push anyone to make fun of the unfortunate wearer.

I'm referring to those kind of trousers whose fork is low, too low, almost reaching down the knees' level of the poor boy.

I'm wondering how you could run, if needed or wanted to, while wearing such kind of clothing-trap ? Such trousers' wearer silhouette I liken to a turtle on two feet's one.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !