Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Milllennials

Does anyone even know what a millennial is any more? Precise definitions differ, but in general millennials are those people born between the early 1980s and the late 1990s. They are so called because they turned 18 in or after 2000. They are also collectively known as Generation Y

The author of this article was born in 1989 ("yes, yes, I am peak millennial, I came out of the womb holding an avocado trying to get a discount on a train ticket").

So what are millennials? Apparently, they have killed democracy, marmalade, and now recycling. Can anyone else smell a lazy stereotype?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/16/millennials-killed-democracy-marmalade-recycling-lazy-stereotype?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Opinion+UK+connected&utm_term=267784&subid=11006640&CMP=ema_opinionconnectuk

Are you a millennial? (I'm a baby boomer apparently). What do you think it means to be a millennial? Is being a millennial different depending the country you live in?

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,971 mod
    I never really know exactly what the definition of a millennial is, but I do know that I fit right into the category. As far as I can see, all that happens is that we get blamed for things that go wrong!
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,678 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh no, that's not fair @GemmaRowlands. I would have thought it's the older generation who have set a bad example. And let's not talk about Brexit...
  • VokVok Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    I'm falling into this category too @GemmaRowlands @mheredge . I'm not sure whether it's good or not, but judging how we millennials are being portrayed in the media, one may come to the conclusion that it's the latter. As for the article, I think it's a glib generalization to blame people born during a certain period of time for killing the world. We all were born to different backgrounds and can't have the same predisposition to recycle for example. What do you think?
    I agree that no one is really to blame - or perhaps we all are in our different ways @Vok. It certainly seems unfair to me though, that the younger generations have to repair the damage done by us older generation.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    I don't stand for tag a people. I was born in period which is describes in an article. Maybe, I have some features that characterized a 'millennials', especially it concrens a waste segregation (my wife fights with my weakness and educate me in this field). But in my opinion each is a collection of individual character traits.
    Vok said:

I'm falling into this category too @GemmaRowlands @mheredge . I'm not sure whether it's good or not, but judging how we millennials are being portrayed in the media, one may come to the conclusion that it's the latter. As for the article, I think it's a glib generalization to blame people born during a certain period of time for killing the world. We all were born to different backgrounds and can't have the same predisposition to recycle for example. What do you think?

I think the problem is that everyone just blames everyone else, and then there is nobody who will really do anything to solve any of the problems at all.
    Good for your wife @nomad81. It is so easy to segregate waste.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge I know, sometimes I am lazy.
    Tsk tsk @nomad81! I hope your wife raps you on the knuckles and tells you what for when you are being lazy.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    @nomad81 there's nothing wrong with being sometimes lazy, unless you let your chores pile up. I prefer to do the washing-up then and there lest I remember that I haven't done it at the time of going to bed.
    I am lazy and sometimes I do let the chores pile up. As I have put my flat up for sale however, I have to make sure I leave it tidy and spick and span at all times, just in case someone comes to see it!
    Vok said:

@nomad81 there's nothing wrong with being sometimes lazy, unless you let your chores pile up. I prefer to do the washing-up then and there lest I remember that I haven't done it at the time of going to bed.

I try not to let things pile up if I can, because it is very hard to get on top of things again if you let that happen.
    I blitzed tidying up over the weekend @GemmaRowlands so I know what you mean. I hope now I can just keep on top of things and that way it won't be a chore.
    What Being In Your 30s Is Really Like

https://www.sadanduseless.com/getting-older/
    mheredge said:

What Being In Your 30s Is Really Like

https://www.sadanduseless.com/getting-older/

Haha that is true, I think it is harder to find a partner as you get older, but there are still plenty of people out there, so don't worry!
    Hahaha yes, but all the best are married off @GemmaRowlands!
    mheredge said:

Hahaha yes, but all the best are married off @GemmaRowlands!

There are still plenty left who haven't met the right partner for whatever reason, so I do think there is still a certain amount of hope left!
    Though marriage is starting to become less in fashion, so the numbers of unmarried people are starting to increase too @GemmaRowlands!
    mheredge said:

Though marriage is starting to become less in fashion, so the numbers of unmarried people are starting to increase too @GemmaRowlands!

That's true. My partner and I are living together and we have no plans to get married. If he proposed to me I would say yes in an instant if it was important to him, but I don't feel that it matters really, and I would only ever want a small ceremony.
    My sister didn't tie the knot for over 12 years @GemmaRowlands and then I think wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't for the children. The law is still a bit archaic when it comes to inheritance and so on.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭
    Russian Bank Blames Millennials for Threatening Pension System

Russia’s financial regulator has predicted the decline of the national pension system as a result of the millennial generation’s preference for instant gratification and the sharing economy.

“Despite the Russian youth’s relatively active savings, the majority tends to invest spare money into receiving quality experiences which are not always forward-looking,” the guideline reads. This could undermine the sustainability of the existing pension system in the medium term”.

The regulator said the youth’s trend toward “Uberization,” or the switch in focus from owning goods to using them temporarily, “could impact the balance of savings in the economy and the population’s strategies for savings.”

“After all, the final value for a consumer in most cases is using, rather than owning,” it explained.

This is an excerpt, read more at https://themoscowtimes.com/news/russian-bank-blames-millennials-for-threatening-pension-system-61726
    I think there is the same problem in the UK too @Practical_Severard though I'm not so sure how much it is because the age of company pensions is over now, as people work contracts and change jobs more frequently. The government in the UK is always trying to encourage young people to think about the future, though I am not sure how far this is getting through to people.

The state pays a pension but the amount is so little that I wonder how anyone can live on it.
    mheredge said:

That's true. My partner and I are living together and we have no plans to get married. If he proposed to me I would say yes in an instant if it was important to him, but I don't feel that it matters really, and I would only ever want a small ceremony.
    mheredge said:

My sister didn't tie the knot for over 12 years @GemmaRowlands and then I think wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't for the children. The law is still a bit archaic when it comes to inheritance and so on.

Yes, I guess that is the case. My partner doesn't want to get married, and the only reason I would want to is if we had children, as I would want us all to have the same name.
    My sister's daughters all took my sister's surname and it wasn't until my sister married her husband that they then of their own accord took both surnames. Until then, my brother-in-law was the only one with a different surname.
    mheredge said:

My sister's daughters all took my sister's surname and it wasn't until my sister married her husband that they then of their own accord took both surnames. Until then, my brother-in-law was the only one with a different surname.

I think it's odd that the woman more often than not takes the man's name when they marry. I never hear of it happening the other way round - though it would be completely legal.
    It is down to the traditional role of women in society @GemmaRowlands. After all, women were no more than 'possessions' of their husbands in the old days. In some societies, this is still seen to be the case.
    mheredge said:

It is down to the traditional role of women in society @GemmaRowlands. After all, women were no more than 'possessions' of their husbands in the old days. In some societies, this is still seen to be the case.

Yes, that's true. I guess there are still reminders of this way of thinking in modern society too, but I don't think that makes for a very healthy relationship.
    Unfortunately I don't think the world has progressed much with regards to equality between the sexes @GemmaRowlands, except perhaps in Scandinavia.
  • javierjavier Posts: 287 Inactive
    in spain and almost no couple is married simply living together the children are not born and the population is getting old very much and governments are trying to make pensions disappear little by little
    It is a problem everywhere @javier. The population in most developed countries is aging, and the number of younger people contributing to the economy is fast shrinking.