Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 3 April 2018 - Dress codes for cabin crew on airlines

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,060 Teacher
We read about how the dress codes for cabin crew on airlines affect them and their work:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20180219-what-dress-codes-really-mean-for-cabin-crew

Vocabulary Top 10:

long haul - a long journey or distance

under the radar - not getting attention; unnoticed

par for the course - normal or typical : not unusual or unexpected

not much going on upstairs - no brains; stupid

barbed comment - expressing criticism in an unkind and often clever way

stag party - (also bucks party) a party for men only that is usually on the night before a man's wedding

kick up a fuss - register strong disapproval; object loudly to something

mid-noughties - the middle of the time period 2000-2009

stance - a publicly stated opinion

in the wake of - used to say what happens after and often as a result of something

What do you think about the airline dress codes?
Do you think it is important to have dress codes in a workplace?

Comments

• BassaBassa Posts: 104 ✭✭✭
    Hi @NatashaT ,
    I think that is important a dress code in the way of that is important what’s the other people’s though about us...
    In an ideal world we should go beyond the appareance ... dress code, or tattoos , or piercing ...
    But in this moment is useless to say that people constantly judge for our aspect ...
    We are used from when we are child following schooll dress codes or fashions ... a big mass of people all the same !!

At the end wanting to be part of this society a dress code can be defined almost foundamental but I hope for the ideal world mentioned before ;)!
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that dress code in workplaces has a sense when it has to do with safety needs or attempts to prevent contamination, as it's the case with food preparing and manipulation.

In other cases, I suppose it has generally to do with the common rooted beliefs about how you must dress in order to show respectful towards your prospective clients or customers.

In some kind of professions, such as layer, doctors etc., it seems that you can't avoid wearing a tie. Whenever you come across a doctor in a hospital, for instance, almost always they are wearing a tie under their white coat.

I used to think of such tie-wearing humankind as inaccessible high rank's members, whose status was precluded to working class' sons, whatever their single struggle out.

In the case of female flight attendants I have always thought that in such work positions not only a dress code was enforced, but also an appearance one.

I mean, as soon as I happened to get on board a plane, I always expected to be greeted and welcomed by a top fashion model disguised as a working class woman.

I think beauty, among others, probably used to be another requirement to be employed as a crew member.

As for the airlines' uniforms, I think sometimes their shape and cut don't seem up to date: on the contrary they seem old-fashioned: I would dare say that in my experience I came across uniforms I would have easily dated back to the 1970s, if not earlier.

Therefore, I can imagine the discomfort of having to wear such clothes, even under this respect.

I think that the dress code and uniforms in particular are sometimes a means used by companies to tighten their grips on workers, try to homologate their ' human resources ', in a way strangle individuality and creativeness.

Definitely it is just one hole of the meat grinder through which the companies try psichologically to annihilate the healthy instinct and ambitions of any low labourers.

This way their conscience and push to clamber up the workplace hierarchy, to better match their skills to their position, is precluded firstly by such dressing discrimination.

Uniforms are just the most effective way to stifle the soft skills which most are needed in working place today.

Back to flight attendants, I'm afraid, when beauty is part of your uniform, someone might think to take advantage of it as a pleasing service included in the all-inclusive package.

Just as those who steal the airlines' magazine, which is left, for you to free-consult, at the back of the seat; they can well be considered the ones with ' not much going on upstairs '.

BTW I like the Australian version of this last idiom, you mentioned on last session @NatashaT: I remember it had to do with kangaroos too: could you please write it down again ? :D

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !