Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Save Mother Earth

MustafaMustafa Posts: 148 ✭✭
I think there is a lot to say about this topic . Lets hear the views of our wonderful members.

Comments

• MustafaMustafa Posts: 148 ✭✭
    Share your view @mheredge @Paulette @Frank @nidhii @Vok @jackelliot @Lynne @Bubbly @MartinC @Faten_S @Sara @peaceculture2 @Diakha @Karan @Baraah @hichem
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 904 OTT
    @mustafatajani

less plastic wastage would be a benefit

jackelliot.over-blog.com/
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 18,168 mod
    @mustafatajani in my area there started an action in the department stores where you can to give back all the superfluous plastic packings. This action is a bit a protest to all the firm who use too much plastic as package.
    I think it is a good idea because at least these plastic packaging will not be thrown away everywhere in the nature.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 36,127 mod
    Increasingly supermarkets are banning plastics, paper cups and other environmentally harmful products. They do it for the publicity of course, but it is still a very positive way to go.
    @jackelliot Yes I agree with you in our town plastic has been banned since this april . It was a nice initiative . But there was a problem many people's livelihood depends on them . do you any alternative option for their earnings.
    @Paulette that is nice but still plastic production is not stopped . So there will be disposal of it . We need to use recyclable plastic. You are right amount of plastic are used in packaging .
    @mheredge yes complete banned on non-recyclable plastic will the first step towards saving Mother Earth
    Increasingly companies are banning the use of plastic cups, straws, packaging and so on. But I saw a very interesting article this morning about the use of waste plastic to surface roads @mustafatajani.

https://www.plasticroad.eu/en/
    @mheredge Yes I have also read about it. Its nice way to dispose this plastic materials.
    Climate change is something that really needs more people to understand and I am shocked how the US seems to be in denial that it even exists @mustafatajani.
    @mheredge main effect is climate . I have experienced myself.
    I think people in towns and cities don't always see it as easily as people in the countryside @mustafatajani. I have seen how it is obvious in the Himalayas, especially where glaciers have retreated dramatically.
    @mheredge yes you are right this ill effect is necessarily to show the rest of the world . We need to bring light on this topic.
    Have you had a look at the topic on the war on plastic @mustafatajani?

http://learn-english-forum.org/discussion/5823/war-on-plastic#latest
    @mustafatajani do you know that 22 April since 1970 is the Day of the Earth with activities that aim to make people aware of the special nature of the earth and life on it.

On this day, attention is being paid in a positive way to the global issues surrounding nature, the environment and climate change. Reflection and pleasure are paramount.

This year will focus on sustainable solutions to get rid of plastic waste. But also with all kinds of other activities concerning making our planet liveable.
    Every year there is a theme and the teme of this year is to create a better living environment for butterflies, bees and other insects that are now threatened with extinction.
    I think it is excellent to focus on plastic as the more people who understand the problem, maybe they will be better at reducing their use of it and take better care not to throw it anywhere, rather than disposing of it so it can be recycled.
    no .... but I will look up the link, @mheredge Pollution is also a major issue besides plastic. @Paulette @Frank @nidhii @Vok @jackelliot @Lynne @Bubbly @MartinC @Faten_S @Sara @peaceculture2 @Diakha @Karan @Baraah @hichem
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 904 OTT

@Paulette @Frank @nidhii @Vok @Lynne @Bubbly @MartinC @Faten_S @Sara @peaceculture2 @Diakha @Karan @Baraah @hichem @mustafatajani

Having parks inside cities would be a help

I enjoy cycling and walking in the city parks especially in Spring

jackelliot.over-blog.com/2018/04/a-walk-in-the-spring.html

edited April 2018
    Air pollution is a serious problem in many cities. Marseille doesn't have very clean air except when the Mistral blows away the pollution.
    @jackelliot yes I agree with you .....It will help a lot if more parks are build in city rather than buildings.
    @mheredge Yes and In India Delhi is most polluted city. last year in summer you couldn't see 20 feet ahead of you because of smog. It is that much polluted.
    Kathmandu is getting to be a very polluted city too @mustafatajani, even though it is much smaller.
    @mustafatajani in Belgium starts a project today to measure the air quality in various places. This project with the name CurieuzeNeuzen (curious noses) consists of measuring the air quality in a area for a month. Therefor we received a special measuring device to hang on the façade of our house. After four weeks the results will be read in a lab and the air quality of these zone will be known.
    After that the government will be take measures if the pollution is bad.
    @mheredge Really , I thought it would be clean place as it is a tourist place . But I think it is upto the people to keep its surrounding clean and green . If everyone understands this then I think problem is solved.
    @Paulette is this device given to each house?.... If yes then it is a great way to curb pollution.
    @mustafatajani no there are 20,000 houses chosen spread over about 15,000 km2.
    The problem is not only too many vehicles @mustafatajani but open fires, brick kilns and long periods without rain, so the environment is always very dusty. What doesn't help is all the construction work going everywhere, not just of buildings but major roadworks to widen the congested roads.
  • nidhiinidhii Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    @mustafatajani Pollution has a very disastrous effect on health.But People are so ignorant about it.One major problem I face in Summer is that in my colony sweeper put fire on heap of rubbish to destroy it and cause so much air pollution that even in our home we feel sophistication if we open Windows.We have complained about it but people don't pay heed to hazardous result of this act it's very annoying.
    It is quite dangerous to try to burn plastic @nidhii, as it just produces noxious fumes and doesn't destroy the plastic either.
    @Paulette Good are these machines big or small and what are they called do you have any Idea?