Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

English at school

Hello everybody

While working on my thesis about problems foreign English learners encounter, I noticed that most of the students around the world have difficulties with pronounciation. Therefore, I would love to get to know how much hours of English you have/had at school a week. Could you please also tell me the country you live in?

e.g. 3 hours a week / Belgium

Thanks in advance

Brent

Comments

• BrentDeBondtORCBrentDeBondtORC Posts: 9 Inactive
    3 hours a week / Belgium
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 37,526 mod
    In Nepal children are taught every day for about 40 minutes. However often the teachers don't give the students much opportunity to speak in class, so they get next to no time to practice speaking.
  • BrentDeBondtORCBrentDeBondtORC Posts: 9 Inactive
    @mheredge Why do Nepalese students don't even have the chance to practise their speaking skills? Isn't it a part of the subject English then?
    The teachers don't usually like to speak English or if they do, it is not particularly easy to follow them @BrentDeBondtORC. But I think this is a common problem is most of Asia.
    @yaseminnckrr I think sometimes it has a lot to do with how well the language is taught. In the UK, French is taught at school, but nobody really can speak it by the time they leave school, even after five years studying it.

It also depends how much opportunity there is to practice, which in Turkey, is only really where there are many foreign tourists. Turkish is not the easiest languages to learn either. I have a friend from the UK married and settled in Turkey but she still struggles to get past the basics even after living there some years.
  • KarolaKarola Posts: 3 Inactive
    Hi guys :smile: I'm from Poland and in my high school I had 8 hours per week. But I was in language class. Others had something like 3 hours (as I remember). In my country it all depends from teacher. If he have passion for teaching, three hours is enough.
    In my previous school my english teacher thought that grammar is the most important in learning language. Obviously three years there gave me nothing.
    @Karola you've nailed it - it all depends on the teacher. At least at school and with languages, because children don't always know why they have to study certain subjects. They don't usually have the same motivation as adults who what to learn for specific purposes.
  • zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I'm from Malaysia. More than 3 hours a week ( as i remember when i was in school)
  • zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    In my country learning English is compulsory, but unfortunately lack of opportunity to practice ( the same answer as others), in school we are more on writing but lack of verbal practice, lack of encouragement to use it outside of the class, the mentality of society here, if you're Malaysian you have to pronounce like a Malaysian, thus they wouldn't improve much.
    @zaiymurs I remember when visiting Malaysia in the 1990s being surprised to find people didn't speak as much English as I expected (I think in India, more people speak English, even if it's not much).

I do remember that the people who did however, used to say 'welcome to Malaysia' and seemed surprised at seeing a tourist visiting alone.
  • richurichu Posts: 86 ✭✭
    I from india.i studied from a hindi medium school and here also teachers give 30 min for english but the bad thing is in my school is that the student from here is not supporting like if u do some mistakes then they laughing on you.thats the reason i never tried to speak in school becausr i know i am not good in english i will do mistakes and all will laughing at me.i really want to learn how to speak but i never get a good way to learn.at this time i feel ashamed at me when my friends talk in english.i just move away from there and think why i do not speak in english.thats the truth.
    That is terrible. No one should ever laugh. I doubt they speak perfectly either @richu. After you have been a member of the Forum for a while, you will be able to join the speaking sessions. No one will laugh at you (unless you want them to) and I'm sure you will enjoy practicing speaking.
  • richurichu Posts: 86 ✭✭
    No i am not feeling bad after they lough at me but the bad thing is that i dont know how to speak.thats why i am not feel good.
    Practice makes perfect, but don't worry about the mistakes too much @richu. Communication is the most important thing and so long as people can understand what you are trying to say, this is the most important thing. I know that feel very happy when I can talk with people in Spanish, even though I know I am making lots of mistakes.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,931 mod
    @richu - It's very difficult not to feel embarrassed. You should hear me trying to speak French! @mheredge would laugh and rightly so! It's fine when you are among friends, which you are here, so get into some of the groups and just talk! And listen!
  • IvanZhaoIvanZhao Posts: 16 ✭✭
    In China, we read and recite the English article in school. It is helpfull to pronounciation but improve English speaking a little.
    Everyone here laughs at my English accent @amatsuscribbler, so I'd find your accent 'normal.' But apparently they all love it. Most people worry about their accents but in fact, most native speakers find accents charming.