Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

the accent

What is the most prevalent and most traded accent and the most useful learning

Comments

• aroobaarooba Posts: 73 Inactive
    i think English, french ,and purtugish and arabic italian
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    These are languages Arooba, not accents. ;)

Gebril9, I don't know which English accent is the most trendy. I have never tried to imitate one, but, my spoken style has borrowed a bit from Austrlian English. I think it is because I immersed myself in Australia a few years ago. Then you can't help, but then start to speak as they do.
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 37,526 mod
    What a shame @Zom! The French accent speaking English is so nice, though the Australian and American accents are no way as attractive.
    It is just something that happens, you don't control it. Anyway as I've been back to a French background for a few years by now, I guess that my French is much more noticeable again when I speak in English.
    I'm getting worried I might start speaking English with a French accent now I'm living in France @Zom! I've had a few Tunisians ask if I'm Swiss as they weren't sure where I was from. But when you travel a lot, your accent can become a bit undefineable. I have had people think I'm from Australia too (maybe the London undertones).
    It's the fun part of it Marianne; you become a citizen of the world for the people around you. Isn't it awesome. >.<

BTW I don't get it why you should worry that a French accent is cropping when speak in English. Didn't you tell us
    The French accent speaking English is so nice,<...>
    LOL
    Maybe I should work on it when I visit the UK @Zom.
    I'll leave it to you Marianne. Just give us some feedback afterwards. >.<
    Hahaha I'm not sure how long that will be as I have not plans at the moment to visit the UK @Zom. It is a bit of a nuthouse at the moment what with no one knowing what will happen over Brexit.
    edited July 2018
    I can be patient. Next time I'm aware that you are heading anywhere in the UK, I'll remind you this thread. I'll have to bookmark it now. lol
    Post edited by Zom on
    I will be renewing my British passport in a few months, to get a new one that isn't blue and still has the EU marked on the cover @Zom. I also need a new French passport as both are nearly full, but at least when I travel in the EU, I don't need either.
    With these two passports, the EU/French and British ones, what can you cover easily? I would say 70% of the terrestrial world. Am I far away from the right figure?
    I remember the UK was number one a few years ago, but it seems that Singapore and Germany are now the top nationalities for visa-free travel around the world, with 127 and 126 countries respectively that don't need visas @Zom.

The impact of Brexit on the UK's ranking remains to be seen, though it seems likely that travel to and from EU countries won't be hindered. Trips further afield might however.

France is now ahead of the UK with 124 visa-free countries (like several other EU countries), while the UK can visit 118 countries without a visa.

European countries have the easiest time travelling the world according to this study.

https://nationalityindex.com/worldmap/ETH

edited July 2018
    Do I have to understand that having two different passports, a EU-French and EU-British one, has not been an advantage so far?
    Yes sometimes it makes more sense to use one rather than the other, especially to visit India where the visa for British passport holders costs three times the price of other EU passport holders. And then former colonies of both countries have different requirements. But generally the French and British passports are lumped together as 'EU' and work in exactly the same way for the majority of countries @Zom.