Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 17 April 2018 - Faking accents

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,047 Teacher
We read about how hard it is to fake an accent:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180315-the-people-who-fake-their-accents

Vocabulary Top 10:

no man's land - an area of land between two countries or armies that is not controlled by anyone — often used figuratively to mean an indeterminate or undefined place or state

at will - when you want or in a way that you want

upbringing - the way a child is raised : the care and teaching given to a child by parents or other people

posh - very attractive, expensive, and popular; typical of people who have high social status

preconception - an idea or opinion that someone has before learning about or experiencing something directly

eclectic - including things taken from many different sources

prestigious - important; inspiring respect and admiration; having high status

drawl - to speak slowly with vowel sounds that are longer than usual

dial it down a notch - lessen the amount, intensity, or degree of a quality, factor, etc by a small amount

ostensibly - seemingly or said to be true or real but very possibly not true or real

Do you like your accent?
What's your favourite accent?
If you could speak with another accent, which one would you choose?

Comments

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before I say I like my accent or not, I have to say that I have to pronounce every word accurately first.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,047 Teacher
    @Shiny03 - Yes, pronunciation is not the same as accent. We can pronounce everything well and still have an accent! (In fact, everyone has an accent, it's just that we notice some more than others when we compare ;) )
    21 accents - can you hear the difference between them?

edited April 2018
  • Tomi_OTomi_O Posts: 11 ✭✭
    To be honest - looking on my experience and my country's experience I almost sure that there hearing an accent of my interlocutor I can say does someone drink or not drink too much alcohol. ;)
    All others aspects connect with acent are almost unknow for me.....
    Maybe I would say does I speak with woman or men - but also this one is not sure.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, honestly, as an English learner, appreciate listening to a huge varieties of accents, intonation, rhythms and fluency.

For instance, take the news broadcast by the BBC or whatever else news channel.

Often the speakers' accents varies notably from one another, which comes to no surprise, I would say.

Besides, you can listen to locals, be them either government officials or ordinary people, being interviewed in relation to some reporting from abroad.

That's amazing: you get voices, the most different, all pretending to speak the same kind of English language.

It could be possible, I acknowledge that, that native speakers could be horrified at listening to such a confusing talking, a babel of accents.

Nonetheless, to a learner as me, that's the most comfortable of the classes, I could ever have hoped for.

Such range of accents-intonation-rhythms, in fact, can be represented by a flight of steps by which to gradually reach the top of a flawless British language.

Thanks to that, I never feel discouraged, I'm assured that there's another easier way than the more stressful high jump to fill the gap.

Some people think they need to change accents out of fear of biases or because they perceive that's the shortcut to fit in with colleagues at the workplace.

I think it's just a kind of ridiculous cosmetic effort not worthwhile at all.

Let's hope people resist the push to homogenize their accents, therefore maintaining their individualities and differences as well.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    filauzio said:

Let's hope people resist the push to homogenize their accents, therefore maintaining their individualities and differences as well.

Yes! I second that idea! Very well said @filauzio B)
  • javierjavier Posts: 287 Inactive
    to me there are several accents that are nice to hear among them is that of tennessee, the Mexican and in my country the Andalusian