Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

During the progress to improve my speaking skill, another problem discovered

hardpeoplehardpeople Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited April 2018 in Let's Practise and Learn
I want to improve my speaking skill when I came here. But I discovered that there are 2 serious problem prevent me from improving my speaking skill.

1. My listening skill is too suck. The reason may be the 3 below:
a. The native speaker speak too fast.
b. I don’t get used to with the accent.
c. Some of words, there stress, intonation change when they are connected each other. This usually only happens in native speakers. They usually skip some syllable when speaking.

Although there are many course taught in English in my place, the lecturer always speak at the student’s comfort speed to ensure that every students can understand.
This gives me absolute no help at all. When I get out of the course, and face the people who speak English. It is the total different case. I can’t even clearly listen even words they speak, how can I speak with them?

2. The next problem come from group discussion.
It happens every time when I come to some learning English group. Usually, the people with better listening and speaking skill dominate the time.
I don’t know what I can do. I just sit along with them and listen to what they say. Sometimes, I can speak 1 or 2 sentence, but this give me no help. When they are speaking, it is not that good to break them and ask them” I don’t understand, could you repeat, there are other who understand and want to go on. This also happens in the skype group here. Not that good to ask the other to repeat.

Now that, I use some of the audio clip to practice my listening skill.

At first, I listen to the BBC learning English, I found it is quite hard comparing with the lesson I attended.

I following sections are what I have
Many of “6 minutes English”
Many of “The English we speak”
And some others,
I still not finished, still have some for the past years. Too many at all.
But I don’t know if I can improve by listening to them over and over. I don’t know after some time later. I can still understand or not what they say after I see the script when I found some sentence I can work out after listening to them over and over.
I might forget them all.

When I feel boring by just listen to BBC

I found some audio clips on the talkenglish.com. They are

34 beginner lesson
34 intermediate lesson
34 advanced lesson

Total 102

I have listened to all of them, found very difficult when I first listened to them. But after I finish the 102 lesson for many times. When I come back to listen BBC. I found that they are easier.

The 102 lesson is really a hell to me. Many of them, I can’t fully understand every without seeing the script.

By listening to these audio clip. Can’t really improve my listening skill. It makes me have a feeling that I am being surrounded by English. Something likes getting used to listen to English. But when I speak to the other in English. “Excuse me. Could you speak one more time” is my first respond. Although, I have no problem after I heard them second.

I don’t know what should I do in the next step. Keep to listen those audio clip and keep to find some not too easy audio clips.

I would like to chat with some of your at mean time. It is Okay. I am some problem with skype. I can't choose my skype ID when I register. I register it by phone no. I can't tell what my skype ID is. This make me feel annoying. I open a discord A/C.

I post my discord or skype here if it is ok to do that.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 36,096 mod
    I think listening skills are best improved by listening to things that interest you. Movies in particular or TV programmes on things that you want to listen to @hardpeople.

At first it might seem difficult, but if you listen to the same movie or recording a second time, you should find it a bit easier.

Different accents can be harder and maybe to start with you might want to select whichever you find easier. For some this is American English - if you have been taught in this way, but maybe British English is easier to follow.

I tend to recommend making it a habit to listen to the BBC World Service news for 10-15 minutes every day as they usually speak clearly and no too fast. But don't listen for too long as then if it becomes boring, you won't have the motivation to keep doing it!

You will be able to join speaking sessions once you have been active in the Forum for a while. You might need to ask Lynne which sessions are not so popular, as I understand that some have many participants and so it might not be so easy for you to listen and speak.

• hardpeoplehardpeople Posts: 43 ✭✭
    @mheredge, thanks for your advice. I started to try the BBC world Services news first. For the movie, I didn't try it at all. I only tried the "The game of thrones" 7 seasons with English script. It is too long to see second time. And it is too boring to see them second time.

Now that, I prefer something shorter and I think more effective. The cartoon/animation may work better. Do you have any suggestion?

For the drama or movie, I prefer something like comedy/zombie, or combine together. Those movies I watched with the script of my language before. I hope that if I watch them again, I forget the plot.

BTW. Any suggestion for these kind drama/movie.
    Have a look at the topics about movies and television @hardpeople -

http://learn-english-forum.org/discussion/2902/what-type-of-films-do-you-enjoy-watching#latest

http://learn-english-forum.org/discussion/3586/good-tv-series-for-improving-your-english#latest

And youtube usually has short film clips on most programmes and topics you might want to watch.
    @mheredge Thanks for the links. I tried BBC world service for about an hours today. I was easy to get distraction. I can only understand lower than 30% of them.
    Don't spend too long if you find it hard to follow what they are saying @hardpeople. It is much better if you just try to concentrate fro 10-15 minutes at a time to start with. Otherwise it can be a bit boring and tiring to try to listen for too long.
    @mheredge thanks

I just finished listening to BBC world service news and have something want to say. I found that I understand the general meaning of the news but I don't understand every sentence and every word. Because there are many sentences in one news. Sometimes, if the topic is really interested me. I listen to it second time.

Usually, the number words I understand increased. For example, the first time I listen to a new, I understood 30%, the second time it rose 50%. The third time, most likely, it only increase to 55%. Then I move on to next audio clip. I don't check with the script to get more understand.

I don't know it is a good approach to study listening or not. Many people who studying listening said that watching a movie again and again until understanding every words. I don't have that much time.

If there is only 1 hour for me to study listening. I can choose to listen the same audio clip over and over until I get near 100% understanding or listen several audio clip for 1 hour. I prefer the later.

Do you have any different thinking of it? This maybe something relate to how to use your limited time to get the biggest improvement.

All opinion and suggestion are welcome and appreciated.
    @hardpeople this is a very good way to improve your listening. The more times you listen, the easier it gets. To start with, listening to the same recording till you understand it completely is the best way to improve, but it won't be too long before you'll understand without having to do this.