Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Your perfect holiday

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 36,127 mod
What do you like to do when you have some holiday?

Do you prefer to stay at home and just relax? Or do you like to travel and see new places?

Where do you like to go for your holidays? Are you a beach person or do you prefer to visit museums, or go hiking, or visit places of interest?

This article describes some of the best places (as chosen by the author) in Europe for beach holidays.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/apr/28/12-best-beach-town-holidays-europe-france-spain-portugal-greece-italy-croatia?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=273206&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Comments

• VokVok Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭
    I'm omnivorous when it comes to holiday. I like mixing things up, first spending some time on the beach soaking up the sun and then doing something more active than that, or vice versa.
  • walterwalter Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    When vacation come in I most like to go far from home. Doesen`t matter where. It is important that it far of home and that it is quiet place. I like montain more that sea. However, Every vacation which that comes I spent in some place in my country.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 8,709 mod
    It depends how busy I have been. If I have been very busy then all I really want to do is relax - as I don't have the energy to do much else!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 36,127 mod
    I'm fairly flexible when it comes to holidays, except I don't particular go for beach holidays @Vok, as I get bored. I remember once going to Greece with a friend and while she lay on the beach, I explored by bicycle or went to visit places, only enticing her away from the seaside to take boat rides to beautiful islands.
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 904 OTT

The worker's day

the first day of May

a holiday from work

to celebrate work

jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/05/joseph-the-carpenter.html

• PaulettePaulette Posts: 18,168 mod
    edited May 2018
    Today the first of May in many places a vacation day, and also the day to give a lily of the valley at people who are part of your life to wish their happiness and prosperity.
    And to make your day perfect I will give all of you a little flower and a big wish to enjoy every day included the vacations days.

In France it was not a holiday yesterday (like it was in the UK), but today everyone is on holiday. That said, a lot of people took the day off here to make it a long weekend!
    mheredge said:

I'm fairly flexible when it comes to holidays, except I don't particular go for beach holidays @Vok, as I get bored. I remember once going to Greece with a friend and while she lay on the beach, I explored by bicycle or went to visit places, only enticing her away from the seaside to take boat rides to beautiful islands.

I never get bored on beach holidays, because I always take a drink of cold water and a book to read, and that is always enough to keep me occupied for as long as I need to be!
    I find I can't get comfortable on a beach to read. I don't mind a few hours but after that I get bored @GemmaRowlands.

every day is a holiday for me

a holy day

a day given to me as gift

to take pleasure from the worlds amazing abundance

and to share with a smile and kind words to those around.

jackelliot.over-blog.com/2018/05/a-holiday.html
    Living in Nice, most people reckon it feels like it is a holiday @jackelliot, even if they have to work here.
    @mheredge I think the whole region of the Côte D'azur has that atmosphere because once I was in Entrecastaux and it felt wonderful even the time when we are working at the house of a friend. Nobody was rushed or busy that something had to be finished in a certain time, and yet everything went smoothly and we could enjoy a nice wine in the evening and it is also there that I learned to eat olives. It was a wonderful time, but we were so much younger then.
    mheredge said:

I find I can't get comfortable on a beach to read. I don't mind a few hours but after that I get bored @GemmaRowlands.

I always take a towel and a blow-up pillow with me so that I can get comfortable. I wouldn't stay there all day though, as I would be worried about being burned by the sun anyway.
    @mheredge

cities such as nice are comfortable enough

but I suppose that I would prefer sometimes being in the countryside

The nice thing about Nice is that it is very easy to get out into the countryside. The public transport (when it isn't on strike that is) is excellent. The 'arriere pays' is very beautiful with hilltop villages and a fascinating history. Some parts only became part of France as recently as 1947, whilst even Nice was part of the kingdom of Savoy, later to become part of Italy, until only 150 years or so ago.

@mheredge

cities such as nice are comfortable enough

but I suppose that I would prefer sometimes being in the countryside

I would say that was the best of both worlds, as you would be able to get to the countryside if that is what you wanted to do.
    edited May 2018
    I made a cycling route along Flemish fields in the sign of the many people who
    died during the Great War. We made a stop in the Provincial Domain de Palingbeek, where there are now 600,000 memorial statues in honor of the fallen. Then we drove to Zonnebeke to the impressive British Tyne Cot Cemetery and a little further the German Soldatenfriedhof. On the way back we drove along the Ieperleekanaal with further along the Essex Farm Cemetry (during the war a farm where also was a nursing post where John Mac Crae on May 3, 1915 the poem 'In Flanders Fields the poppies blow' wrote.
    It was a touching tour but I am glad that I did it.
    Post edited by Paulette on
    Do you know why it was called 'Essex Farm' @Paulette? It seems an odd name for somewhere in Flanders. (My great-grandfather who fought in Ypres had a farm in Essex).
  • hossamzhossamz Posts: 11 ✭✭
    which country is this ?
    edited May 2018
    Thanks @mheredge you made me again a bit more smart!
    @hossamz @Paulette is talking about Belgium, where many terrible battles of the First World War were fought in the trenches.

Last night I was invited to put together a holiday in Croatia to enter a competition - the prize being the holiday.

https://feeds.croatia.hr/epic-week/fr/?utm_campaign=FR_FB_epicweek-spring_various_2018&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Facebook&utm_content=int_post1
    Do you like to take your holiday at the seaside?

This article describes some nice seaside towns in the UK (I find Britain too cold for my liking). I have been to Scarborough, but hiking and just admired the beaches from afar!

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jun/10/the-best-of-the-uk-seaside-beach-coast-england-scotland-wales?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=274068&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Why go abroad when you can bring abroad to your home country. This is what the Chinese seem to have done with Paris.

But what makes a city so special? If it’s simply its famous monuments, then you can easily create a replica, like China has made of Paris, known as Tianducheng.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/france/paris/articles/china-has-built-its-very-own-paris-called-tianducheng-but-can-the-city-of-light-really-be-replicated/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=052618global&utm_content=052618global+CID_8c6bd6248e9e09ed56e5031ae2f16d20&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=Read More

This is an interesting (though sad too) article about having the right passport and how this can affect how easy it is to travel.

https://www.wanderlustingk.com/travel-blog/passport-privilege
  • VokVok Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge It's a shame that some nations aren't so privileged to travel freely. On the other hand, some people perceive it as a part of a challenge and their experience is more valuable as so much effort made before setting off. It's just that they have to pay more for the opportunity to see the rest of the world is more unfair.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭✭
    > @Vok said:
    On the other hand, some people perceive it as a part of a challenge and their experience is more valuable as so much effort made before setting off.
    Right. Doers seek means, tossers seek excuses.
    I see it as one of the biggest injustices @Vok. I appreciate how lucky I am ( I have a French and a British passport) but don't think it at all fair that just because I was born in certain country and my parents were of a certain nationality, that this has given me the rights to travel to far more countries than friends born in other parts of the world.

Russia is one of the hardest countries still for independent travel. But do many other countries make it so hard for Russians to travel @Practical_Severard?
    > @mheredge said:
    > Russia is one of the hardest countries still for independent travel. But do many other countries make it so hard for Russians to travel @Practical_Severard?

The USA is a good example, they require an interview and now after the certain diplomatic row, one needs to wait for several months.
    As for the most Shengen countries it's not so difficult though there is paperwork to do: a proof of funds, hotel booking as well as insurance which is only a thing to be bought though. Then you register online an appointment to hand out your papers and wait for maybe a week.
    Back in 2004 I had a problem with a hotel reservation since that Paris hotel didn't want to accept prepayment inspite of many phone calls by the missus who speaks French fluently. The phone bill was worth about $100. Eventually everything turned out well, though.
    Taiwan was the easiest. I just went their with a photo and the passport.
    Turkey and Egypt and some other countries don't require a visa, but I haven't been there.
    According to that article @Practical_Severard, it seems that the US may have made it a bit easier. I know the UK is horrendous for visas for many nationalities. They have a monstrous 8 page (or maybe 12, I forget) form and the questions are not worded in a straight-forward way, making it easy to catch people out unless they really understand English well.

I don't think I have ever had any headaches getting any visas (except for Russia).
    edited June 2018
    > @mheredge said:
    > According to that article @Practical_Severard, it seems that the US may have made it a bit easier. I know the UK is horrendous for visas for many nationalities. They have a monstrous 8 page (or maybe 12, I forget) form and the questions are not worded in a straight-forward way, making it easy to catch people out unless they really understand English well.
    >
    > I don't think I have ever had any headaches getting any visas (except for Russia).

I got a UK visa in 2005 and the procedure wasn't especially difficult. They even issued a half year visa (and it was likely multi-entry) though we didn't need it. The multi-entries were also common in some Shengen countries a couple of years ago but this may have changed. Travels haven't been relevant to me for some time.