Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Tourism - a good or bad thing?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,671 ✭✭✭✭
    Sadly I think you are right @GemmaRowlands. This goes with taking selfies with monuments behind, to 'prove' that the person has really been there.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

Sadly I think you are right @GemmaRowlands. This goes with taking selfies with monuments behind, to 'prove' that the person has really been there.

Yes, I went to Pisa a few years ago and I was shocked at the number of people taking pictures of them trying to "push" the leaning tower!
    I take lots of photos but never selfies nor with me in them @GemmaRowlands.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands so, you don't have a photo of you pushing the tower, do you? how come? Everyone should have such a photo as well as a photo of jumping in front of the Eiffel Tower, crossing Abbey Road, posing with a royal guard, sitting on a bench in front of the Taj Mahal, spread your hands sideways with a Christ the Redeemer in the background, pushing a trolley on the platform nine and 3/4 and such like.
    I used to have to catch my train regularly from platform 9 at Kings Cross, sometimes platform 10 @Vok. Unfortunately I never saw the Hogwarts Train.
  • walterwalter Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge @Vok I have seen also a lot of picture where people pushing leaning tower in Pisa. That was a trend especially when pupils or students go with school or with university at journey. Most of them take a picture at the same way well-known.
    No wonder the Tower is in danger of falling down!
    mheredge said:

I take lots of photos but never selfies nor with me in them @GemmaRowlands.

I think that's good, because I honestly think that far too many people worry more about taking pictures than actually enjoying the experience when it comes to selfies.
    This article lists some very unusual hotels. Travel and tourism certainly can open the mind!

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2A5rUx/:1r4kg7KiE:MwFPs_OA/www.vagabondish.com/11-amazing-hotels

@mheredge The capsule hotel in Japan has been on my radar for a long time. I'd love to visit it some day. It looks so cosy. I wonder if it can give me a pang of claustrophobia, though. Which one would you consider visiting yourself?
    I did @Vok, though the one I went to in Tokyo was one of the first and a bit old fashioned. The largish TV took up quite a bit of space. I didn't find it too bad but was glad to leave the door open (and glad to be on the 'ground floor' as it was a bit airless otherwise. If you don't mind camping, I don't think it's any more claustrophobic than a tent.
    Vok said:

@mheredge The capsule hotel in Japan has been on my radar for a long time. I'd love to visit it some day. It looks so cosy. I wonder if it can give me a pang of claustrophobia, though. Which one would you consider visiting yourself?

I know for a fact that I would feel claustrophobic if I stayed somewhere like that. It's a shame, because it really is beautiful, but I don't think I would be able to do it.
    I did it once @GemmaRowlands for the novelty value but I wouldn't chose to repeat the experience. The youth hostel was way more comfortable and similar in the sense that curtains give each person privacy.
    mheredge said:

I did it once @GemmaRowlands for the novelty value but I wouldn't chose to repeat the experience. The youth hostel was way more comfortable and similar in the sense that curtains give each person privacy.

I guess each of us has our own preferences, but it's good that you tried it, because at least you know what it's like now.
    When you travel, it's fun to try out new things @GemmaRowlands. I'm glad that I did it.
  • lisalisa Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭
    It is a real concern, on the one hand, visitors can bring attractive benefits to local people as well as the authorities, one the other hand, they creat a strain pressure to natural atmosphere, torism is a two-edged sword. In my view, government should subsidy these historical or natural attractions, at the same time, the amount of torists should be limited, but not by increasing the price. There are many natural or historical sites in China where tourists are limited per day.
    lisa said:

It is a real concern, on the one hand, visitors can bring attractive benefits to local people as well as the authorities, one the other hand, they creat a strain pressure to natural atmosphere, torism is a two-edged sword. In my view, government should subsidy these historical or natural attractions, at the same time, the amount of torists should be limited, but not by increasing the price. There are many natural or historical sites in China where tourists are limited per day.

Perhaps they should sell tickets to places to people who aren't from the local area, and limit the number of tickets sold. I imagine there would be many issues with putting such a plan in place, though.
    As far as I know, the limited number of tourists will increase the attractions of the natural & historical sites, because some people will be proud of themselves if they are able to visit those places due to limitation. Human beings are weired, but for me, I just want to visit areas which are vicinities of my hometown, and I am truely fed up with long-distance journey, especially by air plane. @GemmaRowlands
    I have to agree that long flights are things I really detest the most about travelling @lisa. I don't mind long train journeys and even by road, bus journeys can be interesting. But in the airplane, the only view is of clouds (if you're lucky).
    I like long-haul flights. There's so much you can catch up on during them. I always feel that it's me time when I'm on board of such flights.
  • javierjavier Posts: 287 Inactive
    I believe that the way to conserve tourist sites such as natural parks etc, besides restricting visitors, is that the locals can work on them and benefit from them
    The Calanques is a protected area in the south of France, easily accessible to Marseille. My friend who lives in the city goes there climbing and hiking a lot. But from June 1, right through the summer there are a lot of restrictions (in particular access points) that seem designed to deter everyone @javier, not just local people.
    lisa said:

As far as I know, the limited number of tourists will increase the attractions of the natural & historical sites, because some people will be proud of themselves if they are able to visit those places due to limitation. Human beings are weired, but for me, I just want to visit areas which are vicinities of my hometown, and I am truely fed up with long-distance journey, especially by air plane. @GemmaRowlands

I'm not sure there is a need to increase the attraction though, because they are overcrowded already - that's the whole problem!
    edited June 2018
    The local people need money via those attractions, although they are overcrowed already. People such as my husband perfer to take photos when he visits some nautral & historical sites, which I really can not understand. @GemmaRowlands
    @mheredge The only interesting thing on the airplane is enjoying films but I do not like them, and the meals, I have to complain, are not delicious at all.
    It can depend on the airline @lisa, but I usually find that Turkish Airlines and some of the Indian flights serve reasonable food. As for the movies, I agree, lately I have never found anything of any interest. But I think this is as much because there don't seem to be many interesting films out these days. This is why if possible, I try to fly overnight as I'm lucky enough to usually sleep quite well. My flight in September from Istanbul to Kathmandu is overnight, so unless there's a nasty screaming baby....
    @lisa @mheredge I'd live on board of Emirates if I could. I like everything about them and food is delicious. As to entertainment on board I have a tablet on me with movies and TV shows for my taste.
    My neighbour was saying only last night that if she can book a flight to Kathmandu when she comes in September, she would prefer Emirates @Vok, for just the same reason.

I should get some earplugs and use my own tablet for inflight entertainment. Though usually a good read is all I need to while away the time - if I'm not sleeping that is.
  • cerrcerr Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Some countries promote and depend of tourism for her economy. i think the mentality of the people are the way to have the places safely. people who love nature don't distroy nature. in my country a lot of people dont collect their garbage and pollute places. it is a problem becouse this afect the enviroment. if the pleople take mind in this situation, maybe things go in another way, but it is difficult. I love nature and respect it.
    edited June 2018
    In my opinion, if the infrastucture was well enough, the local natural scenes were unique and attractive, tourism was an excellent industry. Tourism can generate thousands of job opportunities, and the key point is this industry-itself does not creat any pollutions, the garbages threw by the tourists are consequences of human activities instead of wastes of those attractions .