Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
May
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 7 May 2018 - Instruction manuals

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,011 Teacher
We read about instruction manuals, and how they can tell us about ourselves and life in the past:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180403-inside-the-world-of-instruction-manuals

Vocabulary Top 10:

booklet - a book with only a few pages that contains information on one subject

bubblewrap - plastic packaging material in sheets containing numerous small air cushions designed to protect fragile goods

emulate - to try to be like (someone or something you admire) (have the same characteristics as something else)

simulate - to look, feel, or behave like (something) (not real, but pretending to be something else real)

resurgence - a growth or increase that occurs after a period without growth or increase

get acquainted with - to get to know and become familiar with something

evocative - bringing thoughts, memories, or feelings into the mind

redolent - causing thoughts or memories of something; having a strong smell : full of a fragrance or odor

flummoxed - confused, bewildered or perplexed

tongue-in-cheek - in a way that is not serious and that is meant to be funny

Do you usually read the instruction manual?
Do you think instructions with or without photos are better?

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I do, I read the instruction manual just the time to unwrap the appliance I've purchased.

The first thing I notice is that it's usually rendered in a huge varieties of languages, which comes to little surprise, given the globalization of current trade.

The range of languages, I suppose, stretches as far as the number of them across the globe, possibly also splitting into local dialects, if marketing research declared there's a prospective customer to be reached.

Therefore, I have to pick out the few pages familiar in language, while peering at the English section too; it's always been a good exercise to guess the translation, I used to rely on that too as a means to refresh my newly learnt words.

Then, I usually linger a bit on the first section bearing the headline ' caution ' or ' warning ' where the manufacturer gives you useful tips dealing with your safety.

It is funny that some of these ' safety tips ' are a bit unnecessary and obvious yet highlighted as crucial, not to be skipped at all.

I mean some of them have to do with the fundamentals of any first aid lessons.

You can read such things as:

' Put the plug into the socket but be careful not to put your wet fingers into the socket to avoid electric shock '

' Be careful that during cooking the outside walls of the oven might be hot '

' Don't eat ice cubes just pulled out the freezer, you could burn your mouth '.

I would add:

' Make sure your IQ is at least 50 before venturing to buy such very dangerous kitchen equipments '

I'm aware, this latter of mine would sound a bit discriminatory, but certainly more honest and direct advice.

However, I suppose, also people with IQ 130 or more, might grow gobsmacked the moment they happened to read such lines as:

' Fill the rack with dishes, close the door, then push the green button you see on the upper right corner '

only to discover there's no green button to be found at all. That happens when the manufacturer has attached a former version's instructions' manual to the latest version of the appliance's packaging.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !