Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
May
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 14 May 2018 - How video games turn teenagers into millionaires

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,011 Teacher
We read about young entrepreneurs who are making money (and lots of it!) from video games:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20180323-how-video-games-make-some-teens-millionaires

videogames

Vocabulary Top 10:

yield - to produce a profit, an amount of money, etc.

6 figures - a number between 100,000 and 999,999 (containing 6 individual numbers)

DIY - Do It Yourself

indie - independent; not connected with or created by a major producer of music or movies (or games!)

sculpt - to make something by carving or molding clay, stone, etc

democratisation - to make something available to all people : to make it possible for all people to understand something

dip your toes in - try something, in order to test whether it will be successful or suitable; start doing something slowly and carefully

charismatic - having great charm or appeal : filled with charisma

make a living - to earn the money you need to pay for housing, food, etc

scrappiness - willingness to work hard in order to succeed; determination and toughness

If you were going to work in the video game industry, would you prefer to make games, live stream them, or play them professionally?

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I thought of games, I used to think kind of a mysterious sect of nerds, who spent the best years of their youth, frenziedly crunching chips and operating a joystick, in front of their PC screen, in the dark scenery of a basement or garage.

Now I see that the phenomenon of gaming has become extremely popular and mainstream, evolved and broadened as well.

So much so, that I read that in North America alone, the people daily involved in games, can be counted in the hundreds of millions.

A percent of them, even play games for as long as 40 hours a week. This fact adds up to a full time job.

Besides, it has sharpened already present concerns:could it be that a large number of young people in their teens and twenties overlook anything else in real life, due to their immersive experience in digital games ?

They devote any single cell of themselves, any scraps of energies entirely to games, this way segregating from society; but is ' our ' society, as we adults feel it, still ' theirs ' ?

They apparently are going to miss indispensable things: school education ( to a level which could ensure them a job with some respectable career ); social relationship ( in the form we dinosaur adults expect it to be ); the prospect of building a family.

To the most pessimistic analysts, they are likely to end up depending wholly on their parents or close relatives for a living.

Supporters of gaming, on the other hand, have an opposite point of view. They maintain that gaming isn't a solitary activity reserved to hermits and unsociable personalities, any more, if ever.

On the contrary, they argue that gaming has evolved into a rich emotional experience; it involves a deep engagement and compels the gamers to come up with an effective strategy planning to be tested step by step.

Games are based on a continual social interaction with other gamers: therefore you have to develop and refine the qualities of collaboration, competition, empathy, open-mindedness, perseverance, help, attitude to work as a team.

Games have diversified too. They can be used in different fields, not just limited to entertainment and fun. The elaborated images, fluidity, smoothness of movements on screen and the richness of details, have allowed their use in education, training, classes' integration of pupils with inabilities, etc.

Some native digitals, who feel the fictional environment in which the games take place as their own more comfortable habitat, apply their vivid imagination and keen creativity into developing new features, perhaps even inventing and designing new games from scratch.

Most charismatic young people, have also managed to become influencer by streaming games; they perform their games online and get funds or donations from their viewers and followers; they get arrangements and partnership with advertising brands too.

So gaming can be lucrative and fun at once; I can't think of a better job, really.

In North America, I've read that some entrepreneurs are turning cinemas, which, by the way, have hit a 25-years low, into eSports arenas, where they provide the room with TVs and PC screens for gamers to use.

Here, they can join and sit elbow-to-elbow and compete in games in a comfortable space, with bar facility.

There can also be a raised stage, where famous streamers perform and are filmed to go online.

I think that gaming might be an extremely exciting and enriching activity worth a go; besides one which can also pay off, at least to the most skilled and socially active guys.

However, I'm also a bit worried if real life is doomed not to be that much exciting environment as it used to be, anymore.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !