Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

What is the most important part of learning English? Vocabulary, grammar, ... ?

What do you think is the most important part of a language and why? Vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation,...

Thanks for your response!

Comments

• jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 904 Inactive
    @themaverick @walter @Deucalion @Paulette @mheredge @GemmaRowlands @Michouxe @Vok @Udaykiran @AhmadAmara @Shiny03 @aladdin @ThomasJude @homanmih @filauzio @francesco_p59 @kindgnice @sammani @april

The feelings in the voice which gives the intonation needed to convey an honest meaning.

But honest and honesty is a moving concept amongst so many in this day and age.

jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/07/an-honesty-box.html
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for sharing @jackelliot, this is very interesting: the concept of honesty box.

I like it, because it gives for granted that people are civilized and able to fit in with the other members of a community.

Honesty boxes give us a hope, shape a sentiment, flash a glimmering, shelter our innermost utopia: the one that people are honest, and honesty isn't just an abstract idea, good to teach kids with, but doomed with looming adulthood.

Maybe you are hiking in a deserted countryside and are long longing for something to fill your empty stomach with.

You spot a wooden box, step over and raise the lid and... ooh... you get gobsmacked and can't help smiling to your good luck.

Some good-natured human like you, put some food in the box for use by the travellers who happened to have run out of provisions.

Then, after eating and recovering energy and freshness, would you ever mind rewarding the good-hearted people for the goods ?

I suppose any sensible people should feel obliged as a basic sentiment, not to be overlooked absolutely, whatever the favourable circumstances either.

I mean, regardless the fact no one is hanging around, who could eye-witness your missed act of honour, the payment.

I think some people would feel compelled to lay down some money just by the potential reproachful glance by the people standing nearby.

In the article it was cited that some people would also restrain from stealing the content of the honesty boxes for fear of being ostracized by the community they belong to.

I think it can be true where the communities are strictly bonded, strictly knit as it happens in rural areas like the English ones the article referrred to.

Nevertheless, I suppose, it could be more troublesome in larger towns and cities, where the communities are growing ever more loose and members don't trust one another, and are ever more individualist.

There, rather than stealing the honesty boxes content, I believe it more likely that in some contest the boxes themselves could vanish.

However you have opened my heart to new hopes I thought were nowhere to be found anymore, I appreciate it.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 904 Inactive
    @filauzio

thank you
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,129 ✭✭✭✭
    @filauzio I agree, that honesty boxes might not work so well in large urban centres, especially less well-off ones. And like you say, not only the contents but the box itself might be at risk of walking.

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge , @jackelliot, I remember once coming across a box which was intended for sharing books: you put in the books you have read and want to share; trade them with other books you want to read, which other people have left at disposal.
    I was surprised there were still books left and a dishonest hand hadn't swept away the content yet.
    In my experience it seems that anything left outdoors must be chained, locked, camera guarded and recorded, even when the subject of that much attention are just a few used books.
    Let alone, if it were food.
    I wonder if the thieves ever think whether the honesty box's items either were left at disposal by a stupid/naive person, or there's an implicit arrangement behind.
    Perhaps not, they just grasp so far as their arm can reach but their mind can't.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,129 ✭✭✭✭
    @filauzio I think this is much more the typical mentality in cities, but in the countryside and at hostels where people are much more used to the idea of sharing, then the idea works very well. I have often traded books at hostels, food left is never food wasted (though in hostels there's no need for an honesty box system for food).
  • aroobaarooba Posts: 73 Inactive
    I think Grammer. because how we don't know that where's the use grammar on right place