Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
May
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 22 May 2018 - Why ice cream parlours are popular again

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,011 Teacher
We read an article explaining why people are going back to ice cream parlours:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/may/09/ice-cream-parlours-booming-instagram-teetotalism

Vocabulary Top 10:

sedate - quiet and peaceful; slow and relaxed

enclave - an area with people or things who are different in some way from the people pr things in the areas around it

sundae - a dessert of ice cream that is topped with a sweet sauce, nuts, whipped cream, etc.

double-whammy - a situation that is bad in two different ways : a situation in which two bad conditions exist at the same time or two bad things happen one after the other

ticks all the boxes - to satisfy all of the apparent requirements for success

subtle - hard to notice or see : not obvious

cameo - a small role in a movie, play, etc., that is performed by a well-known actor

ice cream scoop - a ball of ice cream

quid - one pound in money

wolf down - to eat (something) very quickly

Do you go to ice cream stores like this?
What's the best ice cream you have ever tasted?

Comments

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As it mentioned in the article, “Today, it’s all about doing what Amazon can’t and giving customers an experience,”. It has become very easy to start a business online, because there are more and more people go online shopping today. However, it doesn't mean you would be successful at it. As there are so many EC websites sharing this market and how can you make the difference between them. Therefore, I think it makes sense that if you want to beat Amazon, maybe you should provide people something different. That is to say, people are craving for experiences so as to post them on Instagram.

You can find this kind of restaurant in China and in Russia. :mrgreen:

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cane-like ice cream and its cones are made from millet. You can find it in Korea and Hong Kong.

Emack & Bolio's in Hong Kong

Ice cream sandwitches in Hong Kong

Ice cream with cotton candy

• BassaBassa Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    @NatashaT and hi @Shiny03 !
    Just to say that the third image shared by @Shiny03 can win the ice cream awards for the year 2018!! :) :) :).....I would hope for its taste also :) :) !

About me, I follow the traditional tastes....the Nocciola ice cream for me is the best !
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it difficult to resist such ice-cream flavour as the egg-nog ( It. zabaione ); I believe it is the one which irresistibly tickle your palate with its sweetness: highly recommended to sweet-toothed guys.

In the alcohol-added version you can also taste it in Winter to deliciously warm you up.

We in Italy have another kind of flavour which is a kind of vanilla with crumbled dark chocolate mixed within its cream ( It: stracciatella ).

There's also a kind of yellowish cream with raisins spread within it, very sweet and recalling in taste the egg-nog which I see in English read trifle ( It. zuppa Inglese ).

Then we have hazel-nuts' flavour and a similar taste ( It. gianduia ).

One of my preferred flavour is pistachio, which you can find both in green and light brown version, but I suspect the latter is healthier because it has no colourants added.

I like to eat ice creams on the go, perhaps while walking a seaside walk, in the twilight, when the last seagulls fly across the bay, skimming the sea which waves sleepily keep lapping the rocks.

The mild slapping sound from the sea, the rising breeze, the birds'silhouettes which clearly stand out against the setting sun, all help my senses to grow abstracted from the real and completely focus on the ice-cream's flavours.

Your more intimate thoughts come clearer to your mind as well: that's the miracle ice-creams operates when you can enjoy them in a relaxing scenery.

Apart from being an instagrammable experience to live in a social context, I think that ice-creams are also a way to feel relieved, comforted if something has gone the wrong way.

If someone has had second thought on indulging in you, I mean, you can always refuge in a sweet caress, both to the palate and to your cold heart.

I forgot to mention one flavour I tasted of late: orange-ginger, absolutely worth a go.
    Let me reveal you a scoop: nothing better than an ice-cream scoop.

BTW I side with @Bassa in saying that I appreciated a lot the third image of @Shiny03 's first comment of the thread: the brown spiralled ice-cream ( LOL )
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !