Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Is it essential to have a gap year?

RushanaRushana Posts: 3 Inactive
Hi everybody!Gap year of high school is notorious for being the time when teenagers are asked to make huge, life-changing decisions, many of which are influenced heavily by factors they can’t control. It’s a very stressful time!Today I would like to ask you a question about is it worth to take a gap year after graduating school in order to experience something new and be financially prepared or it is better to keep up with your peers and get a higher education as soon as possible?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,662 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know that you can say 'essential' @Rushana, but certainly it isn't a bad idea. I think it is helpful in some cases too. I have met many youngsters travelling after leaving school and it has helped them decide what they really want to do. If not between school and higher education, then also after finishing university makes sense too as once in a job, it can be hard to take a career break to go and see a bit more of the world.

I definitely regret I never took a gap year after school. I have made up for it since though. (I took my gap year(s) after I was 43!