Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
May
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 28 May 2018 - The food you buy really is shrinking

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,011 Teacher
We read an article talking about the reduction in the size of food packets in supermarkets (but for the same price, of course!):

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20180510-the-food-you-buy-really-is-shrinking

Vocabulary Top 10:

dawn on - to begin to be understood or realized by (someone) for the first time

hue and cry - an angry protest about something

to boot - besides, also (used to add extra information - informal)

hit the roof - to become very angry or upset

shrinkflation - the process of items shrinking in size or quantity while their prices remain the same or increase

outrage - extreme anger : a strong feeling of unhappiness because of something bad, hurtful, or morally wrong

peculiarities - something that is unusual or peculiar in a person or thing

backlash - a strong public reaction against something

egregious - very bad and easily noticed

nickel - a U.S. or Canadian coin that is worth five cents

Have you noticed that your food is shrinking?
Would you prefer to pay the same price for a smaller product, or a higher price for the same product?

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I've noticed too: food packages are shrinking. I've noticed this trend especially while buying snacks at the vendor machines.

At the supermarket, more often it is the reshaping of the package which maybe hides the shrinking process to my eyes.

In the case of the vendor machines' items, I've always thought it was the result of an effort to reduce the effects of junk foods on children's health.

So maybe, it was just the most recent step in a row of measures taken in such direction, therefore in line with pushes to reduce hydrogenated fat and sugar and so on; all done on behalf of our children.

For instance, I came across chocolate/vanilla ' ringo ' cookies which were, as the package's print went: ' thin '.

In fact, I noticed that they were half the thickness of their standard, although their number was the same: so obviously the overall weight was halved as well.

This way, even though you can't keep children from swallow ' poisonous ' snacks, you can at least reduce the amount of food, given they would otherwise run out of their limited pocket money.

To answer your second question, @NatashaT , I have no doubt I would opt for the the second option.

In the first case, as the article went, I would feel I'm being fooled by the manufacturer, whom, henceforth, I would hold a sneaky, underhanded guy.

I suppose any companies, in any kind of industries, should stick to one fundamental principle: always to be transparent in their public relations with customers.

It can happen that the raw materials, from which the food is made, get more expensive; so what's wrong or embarrassing if the final price increases a bit ?

I believe it must feel like nothing but par for the course to any sensible customers.

Should ever happen some customers sniffed at the few cents' increase, it means they already had had second thought and made up their mind about breaking up the relationship with the food.

The brand should be frank and avoid behaviours which would get all the appearances of a childish prank.

The label should read something like:
    ' Dear customer, we apologise for this little increase in price, which can't be blamed on us, but is caused by a corresponding higher cost of basic ingredients, etc. '.

Maybe, the most suspicious ones might then look for more detailed informations, but I believe that in general, any possible question would be settled in advance.

Let me say one last thing: maybe it can be good for children' snacks, but wild animals could disagree.

I read that in northwest Nevada ( U.S. ) people have got some trouble with bears, because their settlements border on the wildland, which is home to the bears themselves.

One family complained that a bear had entered their kitchen and had taken away, among others, a package of macaroni ( :D ).

One unluckier bear, however, was found dead.

Its stomach was crammed with dozens of individual ketchup packets: the packages, was said, was likely what led it to death.

Maybe, if the manufacturer hadn't start shrinking them.... one single one litre ketchup package could possibly have had it still alive and kicking.. who knows.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !