Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 29 May 2018 - How weather affects our travel behaviour

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,000 Teacher
We read an article that described how the weather can affect our daily travel behaviour:

https://theconversation.com/too-wet-too-cold-too-hot-this-is-how-weather-affects-the-trips-we-make-93724

Vocabulary Top 8:

conversation prop - something that gives help or support to a conversation

drenched - completely wet; soaked

inclement - having rain and storms, cold

discretionary - available to be used when and how you decide; done or used when necessary

commute - to travel regularly to and from a place and especially between where you live and where you work

trip chaining - a trip made up of a sequence of smaller trips; e.g. Between your house and your work, you walk, catch a bus, catch a train, catch another bus and then walk again, all to get from the origin to the destination

NIMBYism - Not In My BackYard: used to express opposition by local citizens to the development in their neighborhood of a civic project, such as a jail, garbage dump, or drug rehabilitation center, that, though needed by the larger community, is considered unsightly, dangerous, or likely to lead to decreased property values.

30-minute city - the idea that we can engineer our cities so that home, work and play are all accessible within 30 minutes

Do you change how to travel in your day to day life based on the weather?

Comments

• raghavsharmaraghavsharma Posts: 17 Inactive
    @natasha , i guess travelling is much easier and joyful when weather is good ,, as mostly people make sudden plans depending upon the weather conditions,, also this brings much of an ease nd comfort while traveling.....😂😂👍
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose having a 30-minutes city would be highly satisfactory but I suppose a few cities at least have accomplished even better.

I'm referring for instance to the chief European capitals: to cite but the ones I've got direct experience of, take London or Berlin.

I believe they've done it to permit a quick commute to most of their citizens.
    What's more, they put at their disposal a variety of mode of transportation, both on surface or underground.

I remember visiting Berlin a few years ago and really you just had a lot of transportation options to pick up from: trams, buses, both surface and underground trains.
    Besides they all provided you with a comfortable and rapid travel to your destination.

It was that I felt like getting on board the transport more likely to assure you a slower trip: in fact I wanted to look at the landscape meanwhile.
    I mean the few-minutes city seemed to be planned to the detriment of tourists, who would rather enjoy a slow travelling.

Even so, however, it was very efficient in order to avoid you the discomforts related to a wet, cold, stormy weather.
    I don't remember having waited, at the bus/trams' stops, longer than 10 minutes.

The underground line, then, is the best option at all: it's rapid and shelter you from rain, snow or strong cold winds.

When it's scorching, stifling hot, then, what's better than plunging down the stairs to the underground's platform to get some sudden refreshment ?
    You probably, after acclimatizing to the cooler pleasant local climate, would never want to poke your head out again.

However, in other countries the situations might be very different. Maybe you lack an underground and, on the surface, just a buses' service is operated.

Perhaps the buses don't have a reserved lane, so they get stuck in traffic jams, so delaying and their arrival at the stop ends up overdue.

Besides, people at the stop might lack a bus shelter, so falling at the mercy of any bad weather which could rage over them.
    Umbrellas get torn apart, hats blown away, hair ruffled, moods grow unnerved.
    The cold would eventually turn shivery people into ice statues.

Unless administrations set an efficient public transport policy, the collective answer can't be but one: private car.

Nevertheless, in case of extreme climate events, such as floods, cyclone, hurricanes, you had better stay put at home, until it recedes or pass further on.

In such cases, the best response from both public administration and private companies, would be to allow work from home: it will reduce the likelihood of commute's accidents.

I usually commute by motor-scooter; whenever it rains I wear water-proof clothing and it will do, since my travel doesn't take long.

I could also opt for a walking: there is a long portico which shelter you for a stretch, then a hooded-rain coat is all I need.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !