Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 4 June 2018 - Retirement in sport

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,057 Teacher
We read an article talking about what happens to sportspeople when they decide (or are forced) to retire:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/modern-pentathlon/25963966

Vocabulary Top 6:

skull rowing - a sport where the athlete rows a boat designed for a single person by propelling the boat with two oars, one in each hand

accolades - awards or expressions of praise

despair - the feeling of no longer having any hope

not caring - not feeling or showing concern for other people

grumpy - easily annoyed or angered : having a bad temper or complaining often

in denial - a condition in which someone will not admit that something sad, painful, etc., is true or real

You can also read this article to find out what some Olympic athletes did after they retired:

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-olympic-heroes-do-after-retiring-from-sports-2016-7#valentina-vezzali-19

Do you think that retirement is more difficult for sportspeople than for other people?
Do you know of any other famous sportspeople and what they did after they retired?

Comments

• aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,745 mod
    Do you think that retirement is more difficult for sportspeople than for other people?
    Yes, It's very difficult but I will not call it a retirement because it's a sport you can play it as long as you can do it. They only get retire from the big events. But they can get involved in any other activity.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I didn't think that famous sportspeople, those who repeatedly hit the sport news headlines, might face any financial problem after retirement.

Probably it depends on the kind of sports they practiced.

I think the sports can be divided into two main categories: the rich and poor ones.

The former are such sports as football, tennis, Formula One car racing, along with the exclusive more elite golf and sailing.

The latter are those sports affordable to any more or less gifted person, which don't require expensive gears other than some talent, capability to undergo long sessions of training and strict lifestyle, a high endurance threshold under strain.

It doesn't matter what social background or class you come from, these proletarian-sports are available to any citizens who feel like giving them a try.

They are for example athletics, swimming, all kind of team sports, such as basketball, volleyball, rugby, water polo, etc.

I suppose that popular footballers or tennis players, for instance, once retired, shouldn't have any difficulties making ends meet.

I'm aware most of them must have been leading a lavish, luxurious life, full of parties and expensive cars.

Yet, all the same, their bank accounts should still overflow with such a large amount of money as to make the average person's eyes pop out of the sockets.

Maybe they haven't got proper investment advice, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't face any financial crisis.

Different the case with athletics and swimming medalists, as we learnt reading the article.

In their cases, in my opinion, the best way out remains to capitalize on their image and fame.

I remember watching the series of telefilms starring the swimmer and medalist Johnny Weismuller in the role of Tarzan.

I think it was a good opportunity to get an income and, at the same time, keep sponsoring his image.

It isn't maybe advisable, on the contrary, to follow in Jesse Owens' footsteps.

This great Olympic runner, after retirement, decided to fight againts misfortune, getting a living by capitalizing, in a way, on his talent:

He raced with thoroughbred horses.

' People think it is degrading ' he said ' but you can't eat your gold medals '.

I suppose in our days, the best option for retired sportspeople is to exploit their diffusely displayed image, as long as it and their feats are still on everyone's lips.

You can jump on every media opportunities: commercials, TV shows, movies, even become a social network's or YouTube channel influencers.

For more down-to-earth ones, then, there are so many options for those who don't sniff at rolling their sleeves up, and not only a ball.

After all, average retirement age for normal people is not reached before you turn sixtysomething.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !