Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 5 May 2018 - How screen time is changing the way children tell stories

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,000 Teacher
We read an article explaining that more time watching TV and using computers has changed the way children tell stories:

https://theconversation.com/heres-how-screen-time-is-changing-the-way-kids-tell-stories-51646

Vocabulary Top 7:

caregiver - a person who gives help and protection to someone (such as a child, an old person, or someone who is sick)

literacy - the ability to read and write

superhero - a fictional character who has amazing powers (such as the ability to fly)

tween - short for tweenager - a boy or girl who is 10 to 12 years old

spin a story - to tell a story, especially a story that you create by using your imagination

plot - a series of events that form the story in a novel, movie, etc. (plus other meanings!!)

fling - to throw or push something in a sudden and forceful way

Tell us a story combining some characters and situations from your favourite stories!

Comments

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know there were so many movies which mixed live action and animation. Take a look at it! Quite interesting! :smiley:
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember seeing the movie ' Who framed Roger Rabbit ' at the cinema; it was amazing the way they had made it to mix real characters with fictional ones. They interacted rather than merely figuring in the same picture: take the Jessica Rabbit dancing for instance.

There have been shot so many imaginative movies so far, mixing up real actors and animated cartoons' characters, that children are enabled to make the most striking stories on their own.

By watching the clip posted by @Shiny03, I wondered how largely could these kind of movies complement with scientific concepts taught at school, too.

I mean you can pair such classroom complex notions such as the way the human body works, or the kind of animals who live in the different environments of the planet, with specific animated cartoons.

There, you can imagine to create characters, anthropomorphing their features and feelings, so that children can set a close sympathy towards them, the way they would do with their smiling teddy bear.

You can devise such characters as the good white bood cell, or the evil virus; you can think of the wise grunting walrus, or the friendly, playful dolphin.

Then, what's better than amusing and entertaining children with movies which can also be a useful complement to teaching ?

So never mind if children spend some time in front of TV or digital screens whatever.

However, complement doesn't mean substitution.

In my opinion, when it comes to learning, shortcuts are never acceptable and satisfactory: especially when you're still a child.

I read that a percentage of American people have long had a problem with reading comprehension; their skills don't allow them to correctly understand and interpret a common prose passage.

The author of the article wrote that the problem has to do with the fact that in the elementary school most of the time is spent in literacy activities rather than in teaching science, for instance.

This fact is said to backfire later on, because students lack specific knowledge.
    If you lack knowledge, your reading comprehension is destined to fail, whatever good your skill in literacy be.

Even though screen time might help children with their early literacy, then, teachers should keep in mind that children should be also taught with texts full of detailed information.

Absorbing knowledge has never been a walkaway: it needs sacrifice and engagement: the sooner you're put on this way of learning the better: you can't imagine how many informations your brain can hold and store given the possibility.

I believe childhood isn't the fit time to skim over the knowledge's surface: on the contrary it's the right time to plunge headfirst into any information abyss.

Should I create a story with fictional characters, I would certainly go for the clumsiest and laziest ones, not exactly the superheroes, but rather the ones who mock or make a parody of rulers, daily situations etc.

I love the disdaining, mischievous, cynical athough ready to jump at any chances, attitude of Garfield, the cartoon strip cat which has always a caustic remark in any situations, basically teasing its by time interlocutor.

I watched a strip, recently, which had me burst laughing.

' It's hard to keep up with all the technology ', the man says.
    ' Let me help you out ' the prompt reply by Garfield.
    ' This... is a pencil ' holding out the object.

http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/ga/2017/ga170105.gif

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,719 mod
    Never too young to start; my grandson started to "use" my laptop already when he was 6 months. :)
  • javierjavier Posts: 287 Inactive
    with 6 months I guess he could just put his little fingers on the keyboard
    april
    Not only put his fingers, @javier , he managed to pull out the keys everytime!
    And I had to search for them again and again and afterwards try to put the right letter on the right place. :D
    @april you have a very smart grandson
    Thank you, @javier . :D