Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monty Python

mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,659 ✭✭✭✭
Monty Python is another British 'institution' and was a very popular comedy series on the BBC.

Anyone for an argument?

Tagged:

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,659 ✭✭✭✭
    John Cleese attacked the BBC on Sunday where he talked about how culture has been engulfed by stupidity.

The number one exhibit was President Trump, where unsurprisingly a photo of the politician with his mouth hanging open got a big laugh. Other representatives of the new obtuse ranged from the staff of luxury hotels – in Miami, when he checked in as “Mr Incognito”, a concierge refused to let him collect an item addressed to “Cleese” – to current BBC executives, who are “absolutely @!~* clueless”..

https://theguardian.com/stage/2018/jul/09/john-cleese-bbc-hacked-off-solo-show-royal-geographic-society?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=280652&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,951 mod
    I had never watched Monty Python until relatively recently, and my partner asked me to watch it with him. I really enjoyed it, and found it quite entertaining.
    They made an excellent team and were very amusing @GemmaRowlands. But my mother could never get their jokes.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,951 mod
    mheredge said:

They made an excellent team and were very amusing @GemmaRowlands. But my mother could never get their jokes.

I think you have to either "get" the humour, or you don't. I do understand it, but I know some people who don't understand it at all.
    French humour is quite different. Monty Python is very British.
  • SunInVirgoSunInVirgo Posts: 52 ✭✭
    I have never watched Monty Python, but it is known that Guido Van Rossum, the author of the Python programming language, named the language after the show. Probably, Monty Python was popular not only in the UK.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭
    @SunInVirgo I didn't know that. He is a big fun of this group, isn't he? Where does he come from?
    Yes @Vok , Guido van Rossum born in Netherlands, is a big fun of the group. But now, he lives in the US (information from Wikipedia). I think that the dutchs, even at the time when Van Rossum started developing the programming language (late 80's if I remember correctly), were not bad at English. Moreover, taking into account that without an English language any programmer is helpless, it would be no wonder that he was able to watch the show even being a man from Netherlands. Of course, I don't know the details about the availability of BBC channel in Holland at that time, but we have a fact that one of programming languages was named after the show by a comedy group. Programmers are also people! :smile:
    @SunInVirgo do you mean to say that there is a programming language called Monty Python?

My mother could never understand the Monty Python humour. She's French, but I'm sure she understood what was being said. It was just the weird humour.
    No @mheredge , there is a programming language called just Python. At first glance, it seems to be that the name of the language was derived from a family of snakes, but that is not the case.

Probably, people in certain professional groups (for example, mathematicians, programmers, really creative workers in the field of advertisement and PR) more often than others are predisposed to like the weird humor. This is just a subjective observation.

Was that the improper use of "to be named after something" in my previous post? Would it be better to use "to be derived from something" or something else?
    You say the programming language isn't named after the snake @SunInVirgo. I would have thought of the snake first before Monty Python.

Have you ever heard of a character called Hissing Sid?

I have never heard of Hissing Sid before @mheredge . The tune of the song is amusing, but the lyrics has the shade of an absurd. For me, that is too british :smile:

Having read about Captain Beaky on the Internet, I have realized the popularity of the phenomen in the UK of 80's. But I have never been especially interested in the popular british culture. For example, unless the using of the convenient Python programming language by me, I would unlikely known about the existing of the show after which it was named.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭
    @SunInVirgo I thought it was named after a snake too. And feel that it would be better if it was indeed rather than being associated with jokes))
    All I can add is this @SunInVirgo.