Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 19 June 2018 - Man made diamonds vs natural diamonds

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 965 Teacher
We read an article which spoke about how the diamond market is changing, with the introduction of more synthetic, laboratory made diamonds:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/11/diamond-market-may-be-warming-to-lab-made-gems.html

Vocabulary Top 5:

gem - a valuable stone that has been cut and polished for use in jewelry

millennials - a person who was born in the 1980s or 1990s and became an adult after the year 2000

niche product - a product which caters to a very specific group of people

bridal - related to a bride or a wedding

diamond seed - a very small part of a diamond (natural or synthetic) used to grow synthetic diamonds

Would you prefer to have a natural diamond or a synthetic diamond? Why?

Comments

• BobmendezBobmendez Posts: 407 ✭✭✭✭
    I dare say man's point of view on the subject may be quite different from woman's. I'd rather like to know if there is any chance to suspect untrue feelings to a woman when she gets a bridal ring with an artificial stone.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I inquired myself, since when we think we should buy a diamond for an engagement ring? So, I quickly googled it and found that we have been totally mind-controlled for a century by De Beers due to their unprecedented commercial success. I think everyone has already known this slogan, A diamond is forever.

It's worthless for me. I say this not because I am special, but being practical. I mean if I were rich, I wouldn't bother to buy some diamonds. But the truth is I have to pay bills. I can't eat diamonds when I am hungry. I can't live in a diamond. I even can't sleep on it. So why do I need them?

Seriously, I don't hate diamonds which means I welcome anyone willing to give me any diamonds.:D Nah, actually I am just trying to say if that norm, you know, the idea of the symbol of love and commitment, has been implanted into our mind through generations, then, I respect anyone's choice of having diamonds.

@Just-Learn I'll give you more details about why buying a diamond or any jewelry is not into me.
    Speaking of my experience, the first and the last time I bought a diamond was when I was about 21 or 22 years old. And I bought it from Tiffany's, you know, because of the influence of that movie, Breakfast at Tiffany's. I bought it to prove that I was a woman who deserved that or worth to have it or being loved. Sounds stupid, right?! But when you were young and people who believed that surrounded you, it just happened. But I was like waking up from that fantasy in no time when my family and friends mocked at the size of the diamond. I realized it was never enough to show who you were by those materials. Besides, I have never been rich and I have bills to pay. Looked at what I ate, instant noodles, just for saving money to buy a shining stone. What's more, after years, when I needed money, I decided to sell it but the price they gave was unbearable. Sigh, what can I say, diamond doesn't make me or my life any better.

Natasha kept asking us this question, which one would you buy, a real one or a synthetic one? She even added if you had to make a choice. I feel like she really needs the answer, so I'll try to answer it. :smiley: (kidding) It depends on the purpose. If I had a social life and really needed to impress some people to earn something like trust, promotion or simply just made them jealous, then, I would buy a synthetic diamond considering the budget. I mean to buy a huge and shiny one with the less money. However, if I wanted something handed down, you know, like a family legacy to let them think of me sometimes, I would buy the real one, you know, a diamond is forever thing.

I have a crazy idea which is how about we make this world to see diamonds as art like those paintings, sculptures they display in a museum. Not the thing everyone should keep it.

Anyway, what would you buy, Natasha? I am keen to hear your opinion.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 965 Teacher
    @Shiny03 I think you said it well - I agree with everything you said here! I'm not sure I have anything else to add after that!

I'm not sure that I would ever buy either a synthetic or a natural one, to be honest. As you said - there are much more important things to spend money on, and for me, buying a plane ticket to go and visit my family is more important to me than something sparkling on my finger! But maybe if I was really rich I would, and I think I would use the criteria you used to decide which one I would buy!
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So that is: diamonds are just unuseful things we are subconsciously forced to purchase, by brainwashing ads reading: one diamond is forever.

Then, as @Shiny03 told us, such guy, De Beers should be to blame.

Given the fact you just get a little percentage of the original cost, whenever you try to monetize your valuable stone, perhaps the slogan tells you the truth: you had better keep it.

I believe diamonds are just valuable ornamentations you display on jewelries or maybe on your watch, to pretend you belong to the wealthy elite of your community.

You show them off as status symbols, just like other luxurious pieces of clothing or an expensive SUV.

So they have nothing to do with working class people's most urgent necessities.

I suppose no one would ever think of buying a diamond ring as an engagement ring, except in the case it is a one-off whim of an eccentric lover; probably he begged the seller to split the cost into several monthly payments.

However, when it comes to natural diamonds, there are still people who are badly impacted from them: they are neither the manufacturers, nor the retailers, nor even the buyers.

They are, to mention but one, the indigenous population living in a reserve in Brazil in the region of Mato Grosso ( I hope @Natasha can correct me if I got wrong news :) )

Their land was thought to potentially become one of the most productive diamonds mine in the world.

Companies and unscrupulous dishonest people began working in the area, without caring of trespassing the border of the indigenous reserve: they deforested a huge stretch of land, and started mining diamonds, breaking both government law and locals' customs.

At first indigenous people resisted and also fought the invading greedy plunderers.
    Eventually, though, they gave in, coming to terms with the fact that money can buy everything on The Earth.

Not excluded their pristine nature.

They soon had to put up their minds with the sad fact there's no place left for a pure, honest, way of living in uncontaminated forests, as their ancestors': just as fairly proud and free men and women.

They lost their naivity, replacing it with a newly formed attitude to cheat one another; they scrambled to reach out at their masters' hands who offered them just their leftovers.

They set up a hierarchy based on their richness to replace the traditional one based on honour, generosity and courage: without even realizing that someone else's charity never make up a real deserved richness.

Maybe to them, and other people like them all over the world, the hardness and shine of any natural diamonds can be likened to the ones of a further chain's ring.

In this regard, let's welcome the synthetic alternative.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !