Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Weekends

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 37,503 mod
What do you do at the weekend?

Sundays in France are pretty relaxed. This is the day when families tend to go out, friends meet for a coffee and in most countries, offices and many shops are closed.

However some countries have a shorter weekend (Nepal just has Saturday off), or it is at a different time.

Comments

• DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I attended a large political protest the opposition organized in the capital today.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭
    This Sunday we visited some building materials shops and made advance payments for parquet planks and non-woven wallpaper. On Saturday we took the measurements and I spent some time setting up a pneumatic line, I couldn't figure out at first how that air pressure reducer works. I'm hoping to pump some low-viscosity epoxy resin into the corners of the underlayment which I have found faulty.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 37,503 mod
    There seem to have been quite a lot of demonstrations this weekend @Deucalion. Yesterday it is said 100,000 people were protesting in London over Brexit, and in Belgrade, there was a demo over something or another too. What was your one about?

So for you @Practical_Severard, a DIY weekend. When you say the underlay was faulty, was this the measurement that was wrong or there were holes in it?
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    > So for you @Practical_Severard, a DIY weekend. When you say the underlay was faulty, was this the measurement that was wrong or there were holes in it?
    Neither, @mheredge. The corners aren't thick enough what has led to cavities beneath. So the corners flex. If I fill the cavities, the underlayment will be hard. (I've already done some places with injection concrete, but the left corners are to close to the electric cable and I don't risk making holes there).
    Good luck with your project @Practical_Severard.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge I try not to plan and do much at the weekend. Although sometimes I end up running round like a headless chicken trying to accomplish as much as possible, I still think that the weekend is for relaxing and recharging your batteries. I was happy about the time spent staying in yesterday reading and binge watching TV shows.
    I used to find whenever I spent a weekend at home when I was living and working in London @Vok, by Monday I was glad to go to work to relax! A weekend at home invariably meant running around like a blue arsed fly and was more exhausting than going away somewhere for the two days.

This is more like it:

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,149 mod
    I spend quality time with my partner, where we don't have to think about work or anything else. Sometimes we will go out, other times we will laze in bed all morning. The beauty is, at the weekend, it's our choice.
    I have never been one to laze in bed in the mornings, but I remember as a kid my mother always used to have a lie-in at the weekends, my father eventually bringing her up some tea as a hint to get up.
    edited June 2018

I spend quality time with my partner, where we don't have to think about work or anything else. Sometimes we will go out, other times we will laze in bed all morning. The beauty is, at the weekend, it's our choice.

@GemmaRowlands, in such context, the word "partner" sounds somehow unusual to me. Why don't you call him your boyfriend?
    Post edited by Deucalion on
  • DakotaDakota Posts: 43 Inactive
    This week end I'm going to work! And I think will be a bit sad, because my boyfriend is moving on abroad this friday, and I will can't see him for about 3 month..yes, we will keeping in touch but i feel sad anyway :/
  • javierjavier Posts: 287 Inactive
    @Dakota Here in the north of Spain where I live. These days it is very hot, I'm sure that I'll be able to spend a few hours on the beach.
    Oh wow @javier so you are much more lucky than me :) I would like to spend my week-end on the beach too! instead I'm a bartender as a second job...it would be nice work as a bartender in a beachfront bar...oh how beautiful is dreaming?!!!:)
    @Deucalion that would be telling!
    @Dakota Where are you from ?
    @javier I'm Italian :)
    @Dakota but do you live far from the sea?
    Unfortunately it's quite far @javier , I live near Milan.. You're Spanis, right? this summer I'm going to Madrid for four days, in August..I've never seen it before..I can't wait ;) :p
    @Dakota How is it that you go to Madrid and do not go to the coast?
    @Dakota yes i am spanish
    Because I've never seen it before, (Madrid) @javier and I'm going even in Sardinia for ten days, and I'll do "beach vacation"
    @Dakota I was referring to the coast of Spain or you already know it
    @Dakota I'm telling you why I think you would have enjoyed it more on the coasts has more things to enjoy and see
    @Dakota Madrid is lovely but it will be very hot in the summer. I have friends there and have been several times. I am not sure if I will be passing through or staying there a couple of days when I go to Spain in a few weeks.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭
    When I visited Spain a couple of years ago I enjoyed Madrid the least among Barcelona, Valencia, Seville. It was unbearably hot in Madrid.
    @Vok @mheredge I agree for that and for other things I'm recommending the coasts of the Mediterranean in Spain
    Whenever I go to Madrid, it is to see my friends and they show me an insider perspective of the city @Vok. However the summer is not the best time to go. I remember once visiting my friends in August and we had to flee for the hills outside as it was far too hot.

I live on the coast already @javier, so I'm spoilt. I'm not so interested in beaches but enjoy visiting cultural and historical places.
    edited June 2018
    mheredge said:

... What was your one about

It's an abomination I don't want even to comment , @mheredge.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,149 mod
    Vok said:

When I visited Spain a couple of years ago I enjoyed Madrid the least among Barcelona, Valencia, Seville. It was unbearably hot in Madrid.

I like Spain. My grandmother is Spanish so I made the effort to learn some of the language when I was younger. I'm by no means fluent, but I can get by.
    @mheredge If you like to visit monuments etc then Madrid and the center of Spain is a good place