Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 2 July 2018 - How location affects our wellbeing

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,047 Teacher
We read an article about how our surroundings can influence our quality of life:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180531-where-are-the-worlds-healthiest-places-to-live

Vocabulary Top 10:

scant - very small in size or amount

nuance - a very small difference in color, tone, meaning, etc.

willy-nilly - in a careless and unplanned way

conducive - making it easy, possible, or likely for something to happen or exist

denizen - a person, animal, or plant that lives in or often is found in a particular place or region

arachnids - a kind of animal that has eight legs and a body formed of two parts (e.g. spiders, scorpions, mites and ticks)

biodiversity - the existence of many different kinds of plants and animals in an environment

socioeconomic - of, relating to, or involving a combination of social and economic factors

intermittently - starting, stopping, and starting again : not constant or steady

struck the jackpot - to have unexpected success or good luck

In what kind of place would you prefer to live?
What are the most important factors for you when deciding where to live?

Comments

• MonikMonik Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @NatashaT I miss your sessions. Turns out I have more things to do during the day, that's why I haven't joined lately. I read the article it is an interesting piece of study.

I grew up in a metropolis so am 100% urban. However, I live in the suburbs far from downtown where pollution is high, as well as life is a bit different. So to me, one of the factors I would take into account is my work place. At this point in my life I should think about how to make my life easier :wink: . I like green places where I can see the mountains and breath fresh air. It motivates me everyday. Undoubtedly enjoying a beautiful view and landscape affects my mood in a positive way of course!

Hope to hear you soon :smile:
  • javierjavier Posts: 287 Inactive
    @NatashaT
    I thank God I think I live in a privileged area because I live among green mountains and at the same time near the sea
  • CanizCaniz Posts: 38 ✭✭
    @NatashaT I prefer to live in a place where there is peace and calm environment no any noise from surrounding as well as nice friendly people around me.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,047 Teacher
    Hi @Monik, we miss you in the sessions too! Hopefully you can pop in one day soon :)

It sounds like you have the best of both worlds - the benefits of living in the city while being close to nature, too! Seeing the mountains every morning sounds like a very peaceful way to start the day!

@javier You are very lucky! Green mountains and sea were two of the best places mentioned. Do you live in a big city, or a small city?

@Caniz I prefer that too! Do you live in a place like that at the moment?
  • javierjavier Posts: 287 Inactive
    @NatashaT I live in a small city in the north of Spain
  • CanizCaniz Posts: 38 ✭✭
    @NatashaT Actually Yes I'm currently living in a place of one of the historical places from where I can see greenary scenario from roof of my house. However, I have to walk 10 mins to go to main street.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the parks in a big cities, aren't just green areas to go for a stroll, they correspond to effective measures of preventive medicine.

As the article explained, they are the only means poorer citizens have to breath purer air and enjoy the freshness and relaxing landscape of a forest's overgrowth.

In my town, when the hot climate is at its peak and torrid, the olders are adviced not to go outside in the central hours of the day, or, alternatively, to spend such hours wherever the air conditioning is in function, such as at the supermarkets.

If towns were provided with suitable green areas, the parks, in sufficient number too, such meetings of older people where the artificially freshed air is blown, weren't needed anymore.

A patch of forest in the middle of a city is the most sustainable source of wellbeing for anyone who can't afford exotic journeys to seaside resorts.

The parks aren't just sources of fresh and clean air, shadow and relaxing paths; they provide their users with something which is so much high valuable as it is rare to be found in a busy town: the silence.

The silence is fundamentally absence: emptiness of noise, relief from distractions and anxiety.

When the only sound in our surroundings is the birds' choir, our blood vessels loosen a bit, allowing our pressure to decrease.

You even manage to listen to your own heart beating, its rhythm calming down, keeping up with your pace.

The fresh quiet and shadow, both operate to envelope you softly and tightly in an intimacy with your inner self, which you even didn't believe possible anymore.

Deep thoughts, past memories, tender feelings and innovative ideas, these are just examples of the miracles which a forest's silence might evoke.

The pleasant breeze is blowing through the trees' waving foliage: suddenly it turns into a mischievous gust, as kicking up a fuss, apparently without reason.

The leaves rustling in mass, after sweeping from side to side, seem to complain as well.

Actally they have got good reason.

The human's phone's app's notification, that noisy beep-beep, is threatening to spoil the peaceful idyllic place.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !