Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Help Needed! Stage fright or stage fear

ech0panditech0pandit Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in A Question of English
Good Day, Everyone , this is to bring to your earliest concern that I am also a victim of stage fright which is a common thing but I really need to overcome this,
my symptoms-: Shaky hands (I overcame it by doing gestures/slight hand movements while explaining in a discussion,speech or an extempore)
a bit of shaky voice -:help needed
confusion of thoughts at the performing time:
many more .
Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.
Post edited by ech0pandit on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Take a deep breath @ech0pandit and when you face your audience, find a point to look at if you find it hard to look at the faces in front of you, at least until you get into the swing of things and can relax a bit.
  • ech0panditech0pandit Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge thanks this technique is a classic , I mean I have used it several times and it has worked 9/10 but when I am in front of a class with half filled seats at the front, many times teachers have advised me to look at your audience and interact with them whilst I just looked at the end of the class where there was no one.I think this issue is very much related to self esteem
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,872 ✭✭✭✭
    It helps to start @ech0pandit, but you should find that after a while, when your nerves calm down a bit, it should not be so hard to make eye contact with people in your audience. The thing to do is to search out the person who looks like they are attentive, maybe making eye contact with you. Don't bother with anyone who doesn't look like they are hanging onto your every word!
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,315 mod
    edited October 2018
    How are you getting on with this @ech0pandit ? I usually drink peppermint tea before giving a presentation. I also drink it when I am feeling relaxed - sort of training my brain to associate it with a relaxed state. :smile:
    Wow @Teach I didn't think this way ever, I mean I drank water many times to suppress what's going on inside but if a person has a closer look, he/she can tell the difference, I'll look forward to use this, not particularly the tea but yeah anything that calms my mind, Thanks , and by the way, 13-14 Oct is a parliamentary debate again, I feel a bit nervous.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,315 mod
    How did you get on Echo?
  • viciumartisviciumartis Posts: 65 ✭✭
    @ech0pandit

have you considered in seeking professional help..?

i am anxious all my life and i had to use pills on a daily basis but what helped me the most is exposure through psychotherapy..it really pays off every dime you invest..you can learn something more about yourself and what is most important to learn how to deal with it..and not to be affraid take something to calm your hands, well of course you can mask it with gestures and nonverbal things like those but the problem still remains..

i hope this was helpful
    edited October 2018
    Sorry @Teach , I didn't get back to you but I got 2nd this time and turns out I was selected as an eminent speaker.
    and thanks for the help @viciumartis I will surely apply this while it may take some time.