Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Popular festivals in your country.

javierjavier Posts: 287 Inactive
I live in a country where popular parties like a lot
  so I want to create a theme in which everyone tells something about the most popular parties in their country,
  I think it's good to learn cultures from other countries

----------------

I live in a country where there are many popular festivals, so I want to create a topic in which everyone says something about the most popular festivals in their country,
I think it's good to learn about traditions from other countries.
Post edited by Teach on
Tagged:

Comments

• javierjavier Posts: 287 Inactive
    I will start by telling about a famous popular party in my country called LOS SANFERMINES, a festival that every year brings together thousands and thousands of people from all over the world.

they are the celebrations that secelebran in the north of Spain in the province of Pamplona between the 6 and 14 of JULY
    the bulls are an essential element,. Simply immerse yourself in the environment and let yourself be carried away by joy with respect towards others

Pamplona or Iruñea (name in Euskara) is a common city, pulling a small one (190,000 hb.), Which is located about 50 km south of the Pyrenees,

Ernest Hemingway Nobel Prize winner had a beautiful relationship with Pamplona and his Sanfermines? His first visit was in 1923, to find material for the newspaper Toronto Star and since then, he became a great admirer of San Fermin, thanks to him, the party crossed borders and reached all parts of the world.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,678 ✭✭✭✭
    I find bull running and fighting very sad, as it is very cruel. There are similar festivals in the south of France. When I visited Pamplona, I visited a bull ring but it was part of a sightseeing tour.

France also has lots of parties and fetes especially in the summer, when many villages will have their own particular occasion to celebrate. Last year I went to a very interesting one that celebrated the mules (now substituted by horses) as the ancient transporters of olives and other goods from Italy down to the coast.
    @mheredge If it is a party a bit cruel but it is a tradition of many years and very difficult to remove but the environmental organizations are fighting more and more to get it
    Here I will comment on another famous party in Spain I would like someone else to tell the festivities of their country
    The April Fair or Seville Fair
    In the first years of its creation, the fair was livestock and agricultural.
      It is celebrated annually in the city of Seville, (in Andalusia, Spain)
    The April Fair in Seville begins the night of "alumbrao", the opening moment in which thousands of light bulbs are lit from the fairgrounds. The fair is illuminated along its streets with light, color and great joy.
    . During the day, its streets are filled with hundreds of riders and horse-drawn carriages and around 500,000 visitors daily pass by.
     where you can participate by renting a car with driver. with a multitude of attractions for children and adults
    . For a week Sevilla lives only for this party. The music, the gastronomy, the dance and the desire to have fun create a very special atmosphere. During the party the people wear the typical Andalusian costumes:
    . After a week of constant festivities, the Fair concludes with a great fireworks show along the Guadalquivir River.
    In the information office located at the entrance of the fair they will inform you
    I bet this must be very enjoyable @javier.. Séville is a lovely city and the food is really good. I definitely want to come back for much longer.
  • julianocfdjulianocfd Posts: 25 ✭✭
    > @mheredge said:
    > I find bull running and fighting very sad, as it is very cruel. There are similar festivals in the south of France. When I visited Pamplona, I visited a bull ring but it was part of a sightseeing tour.
    >

Me either feel the same about bull running. But I understand the culture they have. Same here in Brazil we have the cowboy on the top of the bull. they tie a cord in his balls to make the bull jump like crazy. It is sad and they call it a sport. :s
    I was very sad about the latest Cheltenham races where a number of horses fell and were injured and even died @julianocfd. Many people are beginning to condemn horse racing as a very cruel sport too.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,081 mod
    In Germany there is a festival called Fasching (also Fastnacht and Karneval in some areas. It is a pretty huge celebration, and preparations last for several weeks, some Germans call it “the fifth season”. Many Carnival clubs around Germany begin their official activities on November 11 (11/11) at 11:11 a.m., but the official starting date for Karneval or Fasching activities is usually January 6. It goes on until Shrove Tuesday.

The biggest day for parades (which often have a political theme) is Rosenmontag (Rose Monday), but one of Germany’s biggest carnival parades takes place in the northern German city of Braunschweig, on Carnival Sunday. It is called “Schoduvel” (“scaring away the devil”). The carnival tradition in Braunschweig dates back to 1293.

It is well worth reading more about it, and searching for videos in YouTube.
    Many of the arriere pays (back country) villages in the Alpes-Maritimes have festivals throughout the year. I think some might be more recent inventions to try to attract tourists, but most seem to have been celebrated for some time. Last year I went to one near the Italian border where the donkeys (replaced by horses over time) are blessed for their contribution to the local olive trade when pack animals used to transport the olives down to Villefranche, the main port until relatively recently. The horses are all decorated with flowers and there's a procession from the church in the old part of the village where they are blessed, down to the main square where the mayor of the town addresses everyone before the horsemen tuck into a celebratory lunch.
  • bfluentmanishbfluentmanish Posts: 328 ✭✭
    Hello everyone, in India we have lot of festivals in whole year, it also shows how India used to be very rich in context of culture,customs and wealth that,in almost every month we have some festivals.
    Here is the list of main festivals in India.
    1.Diwali
    2.Vijay Dashmi
    3.Raksha Bandhan
    4.Holi
    5.Pongal
    6.Makar Sankranti
    7.Bhai Dauj.
    8.Maha Shivratri
    9.Janam Ashtami
    10.Republic Day
    11.Independence Day
    12.Ram Navami
    13.Ganesh Chaturthi
    14.Navratri
    15.Eid-ul-Fitra
    16.Guru Parv
    17.Onam

Above mentioned are some examples of main festivals of India list,although list is very big.
    In case if anyone want to know about any specific festival i can explain about the story & how Indians celebrate these festivals.
    India is just as festive as Nepal @bfluentmanish - indeed you share many of the same festivals, in particular the Hindu ones. Nepal seems to celebrate goodness knows how many new years too, what with the Tibetan, Sherpa, and Tamang new years all falling on different days near the Chinese new year in addition to the official new year in April and January 1!
    @mheredge yes you are right there are so many new year in India as well same case with Nepal,Bhutan because you can find lot similarities among three countries.
    Bhutan is mainly Buddhist @bfluentmanish, so I am not sure that they celebrate the Hindu festivals much. But Nepal is actually Hindu, with about 14% of the population Buddhist. Of course in farming communities, all these holidays don't impact so much as the animals still have to be fed and the farmer never really seems to take a break from their day to day work.

Here in France, at least three times a year there are holidays where everything pretty much closes down, including public transport. In Britain this only happens on Christmas Day. In Britain May Day is not celebrated on the 1st of May like in most countries, but only on the first Monday of May and it is not really associated with workers. In France it was a total shutdown with nothing open, so virtually everyone can take the day off.
    Hi @mheredge you are right Bhutan is mainly Buddhist but remember one fact that origin of Budhhism was India and in India 8.5 million population is Buddhist and in Bhutan 22.6% population is Hindu whereas in Nepal 80.62% citizens are Hindu.Hindu religion is the base of Buddhism,Jainism and Sikhism.
    I am not going deep into this as i have strong feeling that being a human is the most beautiful thing in this world.Humanism is the best religion in the planet.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,971 mod

Hello everyone, in India we have lot of festivals in whole year, it also shows how India used to be very rich in context of culture,customs and wealth that,in almost every month we have some festivals.

Here is the list of main festivals in India.

1.Diwali

2.Vijay Dashmi

3.Raksha Bandhan

4.Holi

5.Pongal

6.Makar Sankranti

7.Bhai Dauj.

8.Maha Shivratri

9.Janam Ashtami

10.Republic Day

11.Independence Day

12.Ram Navami

13.Ganesh Chaturthi

14.Navratri

15.Eid-ul-Fitra

16.Guru Parv

17.Onam

Above mentioned are some examples of main festivals of India list,although list is very big.

In case if anyone want to know about any specific festival i can explain about the story & how Indians celebrate these festivals.

I remember learning about Diwali in school, and thinking that it looked really beautiful because of all the lights and the colours. I would like to experience it first hand.
    @GemmaRowlands Yes you are right about Diwali also there is a story behind Diwali as per Hindu mythology. This festival celebrated due to on this day before 7000 years ago Lord Ram returned to his capital Ayodhya after killing demons king Ravan. Lord returned in his capital after spending 14 years with his younger brother so this day was considered as victory of good over evil, because in the ancient time demon King Ravan was considered immortal.
    In this festival people distribute sweets, clothes, foods to needy ones and among their relatives also.
    These days are very auspicious for everyone in India because it provide huge business opportunities to everyone.
    I love this festival very much.
    In Nepal Diwali is called Dashain @GemmaRowlands. It is the same festival. I see it every year as this is when I normally go to Nepal. I love being in Kathmandu because it becomes so quiet and clean, as there's no traffic for a few days. Usually 75% of the population leaves the city to return to their villages to celebrate the festival.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,971 mod
    mheredge said:

In Nepal Diwali is called Dashain @GemmaRowlands. It is the same festival. I see it every year as this is when I normally go to Nepal. I love being in Kathmandu because it becomes so quiet and clean, as there's no traffic for a few days. Usually 75% of the population leaves the city to return to their villages to celebrate the festival.

Oh wow I didn't actually realise that other countries celebrated this festival too. I wish we could!
    It's the main Hindu festival @GemmaRowlands and is celebrated like our Christmas.