Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

What films do you prefer?

People often watch TV or read books, but what do you think about films, which force us think about life

Answers

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 36,127 mod
    I like films that don't have monsters, super heros that do impossible feats, or fantasy (apart from Harry Potter).
  • Misha9998Misha9998 Posts: 15 Inactive
    > @mheredge said:
    > I like films that don't have monsters, super heros that do impossible feats, or fantasy (apart from Harry Potter).

I have similar view on movies. I am not very enthusiastic about sci-fi movies like The Avengers, X-men etc. However, I like sci-fi movies which show some near future or have some scientific background (Interstellar, Europa Report, Oblivion). Also I like history movies, detectives, thrillers, comedies (especially good black humor like Keeping Mum or Tucker and Dale vs. Evil). And I like films about time travelling - some people say it is impossible, but I find it very attractive to dream about...
    I like historic movies, and especially those produced by the BBC @Misha9998 as they do them so well. I also like when the BBC make series based on the classics, like Dickens or Austen.
    I see. I understand BBC's series aren't fiction movies but documentaries, are they?
    The BBC makes all sorts of series @Misha9998. Some are documentaries but I think most are fiction.
    I felt in love with history in my childhood. I usually prefer movies about world politics and conflicts (In fact, politics of Europe until World War I was a bunch of wars) like 'Patriot', 'Valkyrie' etc.
    Movies can be a good way to keep in touch with our history @Misha9998. I also enjoy how they reflect the time when they were made. I am watching a 1968 war movie Where Eagles Dare and I am sure it would be quite different if it were made now.
    Yeah, movies from 40s differ from ones shot in 70s and so on. Fashion exist not only on clothes. And I read the plot of the movie you mentioned - quite interesting, I'll watch it, thanks.
    It is based on Alastair Maclean's novel. He wrote a lot of these kind of stories that are a bit like blockbusters and easy to read @Misha9998.
    Usually people which have already read a book say that they get disappointed after watching a movie shoot by the book. Is it the case?
    edited July 2018
    The book is usually better than the movies, so I tend to read the book after I've seen the film @Misha9998.