Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 16 July 2018 - Why people change their minds

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 965 Teacher
edited July 2018 in People and Feelings
We read an article explaining a reason people change their minds:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180622-the-surprising-reason-people-change-their-minds

Vocabulary Top 10:

factually - limited to, involving, or based on facts

fickle - changing often

override - to make (something) no longer valid; to have more importance or influence than (something); to stop an action that is done automatically by using a special command

prohibited - to order (someone) not to use or do something; to make (something) impossible to do or not allowed

rationalise - to think about or describe something (such as bad behavior) in a way that explains it and makes it seem proper, more attractive, etc.

inauguration - to introduce (someone, such as a newly elected official) into a job or position with a formal ceremony; to celebrate the fact that something (such as a new hospital or school) is officially ready to be used

deliberately - in a way that is meant, intended, or planned

bias - a tendency to believe that some people, ideas, etc., are better than others that usually results in treating some people unfairly

status quo - the current situation : the way things are now

subside - to become less strong or intense; to move down to a lower level

Do you change your mind often?
Is it easy or difficult for you to change your mind?
Post edited by NatashaT on

Comments

• Abir_HasnatAbir_Hasnat Posts: 1
    really it's good...
  • MohamedgamalMohamedgamal Posts: 21 ✭✭
    In general from time to time we should review our concepts&opinions to make sure we are on the correct side ,otherwise we'll be sitting on the cozy couch meanwhile the rest of the house get burned,By putting yourself in the same circumstances& factors that make people convinced by different opinions, you'll see how much you are right or not .
  • MonikMonik Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭
    @NatashaT I haven't thought about it before, but it's interesting how easily we can change our minds, especially when it comes to certain topics, such as politics or social matters. I'd say, I usually have second thoughts about politics, for instance. Nevertheless, I suppose I fickle, because at some point, I haven't enough information to build up my opinion, so that it's hard for me to pick a side.

On the other hand, I absolutely agree with the idea of making our lives more liveable when we basically have to accept something we don't like. This is a defence mechanism for all of us. Said that, it's is difficult not to change our minds, even more when we live in a world full of information, so the more you think you know, the deeper you will have to go if you really want to make up your mind. :smiley:
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They say that the ones who never change their mind are the stupids... that's the reason I often do change my mind :D.

Apart from joke, I found the article very interesting, especially when referring to the brain immune mechanism.

No matter how much we dislike something, the moment this thing falls definitely stuck in our lives, we immediately turn them more acceptable, by either self-convinction or rationalization.

We kind of unconsciously manage to free up some parts in our brain, in order to get along with our lives.

We can't continue to be angry and rancorous towards something, we are standing elbow-to-elbow with.

That would be inconceivable even to the most diehard stubborn pugnacious guy.

However, I suppose, it isn't so easy and immediate to be able to change your mind, when the ground you're standing is the bloody ground where people coming before you have fought and died for an ideal.

There are some ideals you can't comfortably give in to put aside in favour of the common interest in a durable peace.

That's at least the impression I got when I visited the town of Belfast ( Northern Ireland ) some days ago.

In the 1970s and all through the 1980s, there infuriated the so-called Troubles, the guerrilla warfare among Catholics-Republicans and Protestants-Loyalist.

The formers fighting for better life conditions and end of discriminating policy enforced by the Protestant rulers.
    Besides, holding a claim to be allowed reunification with the Irish Republic.

The latters, on the other hand, claiming the superiority of Protestant church over the Catholic one, together with their unconditional loyalty to her majesty the Queen of United Kingdom.

In Belfast there appear to be signs of a resolute unchanging mind, at least in some areas.

There, where the most ferocious riots and subsequent crackdowns erupted, the terraced houses are still densely festooned, either with the Union Jack's flag, or the Irish tricolour.

Hopefully though, inside such houses people have managed to free up their hearts, if not still wholly their brain at all.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !