Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Pregnant women will be allowed to jump to the front of queues

Expecting mothers in Israel will no longer need to wait in line at places that provide a public service.
(This is a excerpt, read more at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5962537/Pregnant-women-allowed-jump-queues-public-new-laws-Israel.html)

A new law passed in Israel entitles pregnant women to skip to the front of the queue at public services like supermarkets and pharmacies. The Jerusalem Post reported the law will amend the Women's Equal Rights Act in Israel allowing women to skip exhausting queues at 'supermarkets, shops, pharmacies, the post office' and any place of public service. Yousef Jabareen, who represents The Joint List party, initiated the legislature, saying: 'I was abroad with my pregnant wife and when we saw long lines in public places but surprisingly we were told that we did not have to stand in line. 'When we came back to Israel we noticed the differences.' The law allows the service provider to ask for a medical certificate to women for proof of pregnancy.
According to BBC, the pregnant, elderly or disabled in Brazil are legally allowed to skip queues.

----
Is it a right or wrong thing, how do you think? Here visibly pregnant women as well as parents with small children are allowed to the front, and people give up their seats in public transport to them in most cases, though I'm not sure it's due to a law. Actually I was surprised to see some people's comments at the link against this. I can add that while the urban environment here isn't much wheel-friendly, a passer-by would almost always help a woman to bring the pram upstairs.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 36,127 mod
    I think it's sad that they have to pass a law on something I would have thought most decent people would do without a second thought @Practical_Severard.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭✭
    > @mheredge said:
    > I think it's sad that they have to pass a law on something I would have thought most decent people would do without a second thought @Practical_Severard.

I was astonished to learn many commentors' opinion that since pregnancy wasn't an illness, and/or the sexes were equal in rights, then expecting mothers should be waiting like all other people.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 36,127 mod
    It's not an illness, but a pregnant woman is likely to feel tired and uncomfortable in the later stages of pregnancy. And since she might be more 'fragile' - like someone who is older or has a bad leg and needs a stick, then it is only decent that fitter, stronger and younger able bodied people might be able to help.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    > @mheredge said:
    > It's not an illness, but a pregnant woman is likely to feel tired and uncomfortable in the later stages of pregnancy. And since she might be more 'fragile' - like someone who is older or has a bad leg and needs a stick, then it is only decent that fitter, stronger and younger able bodied people might be able to help.

Totally agree, it's just the number of people thinking otherwise what astonished me. Of course, some pregnant women and mothers with small children abuse the public courtesy they're normally given, but that's another story, and only particular individuals should be blamed.