Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 17 July 2018 - The end of traditional camembert

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,047 Teacher
We read an article about the end to a French cheese tradition - Camembert

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20180618-the-end-to-a-french-cheese-tradition

camembert

Vocabulary Top 10:

for good - forever

lobby - to try to influence government officials to make decisions for or against something

refractory - difficult to control or deal with

inextricable - impossible to separate : closely joined or related

turophile - a connoisseur or lover of cheese

stack - to arrange (things) in a stack : to put (things) in a usually neat pile

artisanal - a product made in a traditional or non-mechanized way

caveat - an explanation or warning that should be remembered when you are doing or thinking about something

shot down - to reject (something) completely; to refuse to accept the offer made by (someone)

too close for comfort - close enough to make you feel nervous, worried, or upset

Do you like cheese?
What is your favourite type of cheese?
Do you think the process makes a difference to the taste of the cheese?

Comments

• BassaBassa Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    Hi @NatashaT ,
    Yes I do,
    More and less I like all kinds of cheese !
    One of my favourites is for sure the Brie cheese but maybe the preferred one is the “Forma di Frant” cheese !
    Is a typical one of my region, bornt a lot of years ago like a food of poor families...
    This beacause it is made with the scraps of all other cheeses of this region ! A long time ago you couldn’t waste nothing !
    So the peasants used the scraps to create something edible again....the “Frant” indeed....
    Nowadays this is a very precious cheese and very expensive !
    Anyway it is delicious :)!
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of this cheese before, @Bassa, ' Forma di Frant ' is quite a new name to me: still, even though I'm Italian too, I'm not so much of an expert of cheeses.
    However, it must have a very interesting taste, given it is made up of scraps of other cheeses of the region: a miscellany of sources.

As for me, I admit I like any types of cheeses I've tasted so far: probably, in my previous life I was a mouse, I have a cheese-tooth.

In Italy there are many varieties of cheeses, some of which extremely delicious.

I remember tasting some sheeps' milk cheeses, called ' pecorino ' whose texture was so delicate, that as soon as you had a bit in your mouth it melted, in a pleasure of senses.

Their tastes can range from a little spicy, to quite mild though.

I also like the ' gorgonzola ', which is a very soft cheese, with inedible rind, which, within its texture, has an irregular pattern of green mould's strips.

Although it's mouldy, and even its odour isn't very inviting at first, its taste is strong but delicious.

It originated from a little town near Milan, Gorgonzola, after which it was named, as it is the case with the French camembert.

Winston Churchill, allegedly, was very gluttonous of gorgonzola: so much so, that he wanted his staff members, to pinpoint and mark the location of the town on war maps, in order to avoid it being targeted by RAF air-bombing on Italy.

As for the article we read, I wonder why the companies which take over the main part of camembert's production, hadn't come up with an alternative to pasteurization.

This milk-heating process is intended to kill all the harmful bacteria present in the raw milk; unfortunately, it presumably brings the side-effect to alter some of the substances which give the milk's characteristic flavour and taste.

I'm not an expert, but I suppose microfiltration can give the same results, without using heat.

Maybe, just the viruses can pass through the filter, but, I'm afraid, pasteurisation too is no use against viruses.

Perhaps the fact companies keep sticking to this dated process, lies with the fact it is cheaper or maybe, it allows a prolonged expiry date of the final product.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !