Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 23 July 2018 - Why owl theft is rising

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,059 Teacher
We read an article describing the reason why owl theft is rising (yes, people are stealing birds!):

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20180626-why-owls-might-suffer-in-a-cashless-society

Vocabulary Top 5:

falconer - a person who hunts with birds of prey or trains them for hunting

blustery - blowing loudly and violently; very windy

dip - to decrease somewhat usually for a short time

lucrative - producing money or wealth; profitable

boost - (slang meaning) to sneakily steal something; shoplift

Were you surprised about the reason why owls are being stolen?
Have you heard of any other items which are stolen for the same reason?
What are some other effects of fewer cash payments?

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose that the rule can be summarized as that: as long as there's a market for some items, sooner or later a parallel criminal market will develop alongside it.

By reading the article I understood that some well-off unscrupulous persons are willing to pay a lot of money to buy wild animals which are considered a status symbol.

Surely anyone would like to enjoy, at least once, the exciting experience of go hunting with a bird of prey.

Maybe, to see how they are trained by falconers in stages which still don't involve killing a live prey, but just pulling something inanimate which resemble them by being wrapped in an animal fur.

However, this doesn't mean you have any right to cage a wild animal, just to fulfil an authentic childish whim.

I already can't stand the zoos and aquariums, which are purposely designed to give a chance to the masses who couldn't otherwise afford exotic journeys or safari.

Let alone, then, how could I put up with the whine of an affluent adult who want to possess and turn a wild noble bird of prey into a prey itself.

Perhaps, then, just to display it at some high ranks limited parties, before discarding it as a laddered sock, the moment their eyes are suddenly averted and attracted by some new enticing glittering piece of glass.

I think wildlife belong to anyone and noone at the same time; they just sometimes live in our same environment, to the pleasure of those who can enjoy the rarest chance to get nearer to them. That's all.

For the large majority of other people, there remain the National Geography productions, both documentary videos or paper issues.

There's no third choice, unless becoming an environmental scientist or documentarist yourself.

And it's not just birds of prey: take young eels turned into delicacies; but also African apes ( orangutangs, chimps ) held as pets, or maybe in circus fighting with boxing gloves.

You can't crowd your home with owls or wolves, that's patological way before being just unlawful or simply immoral.

Nevertheless, I agree there's a point in assuming there's a direct link between the ever decreasing use of cash in transactions and the thefts and robberies involving, with priority, wildlife on the one hand, luxury and everydays items, on the other hand.

Money is ever more digital, so maybe money thieves are growing digital as well; there remain just the shoplifters, as criminals to be encountered in the flesh, probably.

I suppose they would be the least digital skilled criminals, who can't but rely on physical objects, to get a living on.

I'm referring here to the people who hide a packet of six razor-blades , or perhaps a half a kilo piece of parmesan cheese under their coat.

I suppose we have here to differentiate between two types of people:

the hardened criminals making up gangs, who steal serially, in an organized way.

the poor people, maybe old retirees on low income, who run off of money midway through each month, who hardly make ends meet.

These days, I also read a shocking news about my own country Italy: in a region called Sardinia ( an island in Western Italy ) someone is stealing sands from the beaches !!

Appeal to the owl's thieves in Scotland:

Respectable thieves

We urge you to bring back the stolen barn owl, but, meanwhile, keep your hands off @NatashaT 's Monday Night Owls !!!

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,059 Teacher
    @filauzio it all makes sense! Now I understand why not many people have been coming to Night Owls recently - the thieves are taking them! :D

On a serious note, you made some very good points there about the black market, wild animals and the rise of different types of crime - and why. Very interesting!
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @NatashaT; there was another example of wild animals smuggled into unscrupulous countries, which left me really shocked.

I read it in the New York International Edition newspaper; in the article it was reported that a female orangutang was once found shaved in a Thailand's brothel, to serve as... I let you imagine what..

I was shocked at reading such a news, which borders on horrid fantasy. I hope it were a totally invented fake story though.

Sometimes humans can be very inhumane. We should all be able to draw a line behind which is morally and ethically forbidden to even only think to go.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !