Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Breakfast?

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 35,067 mod
For me, this is the most important meal of the day. I usually have a cup of coffee (essential to start the day) and a bowl of maybe fruit with some muesli, or just fruit and fromage blanc or yogurt, and when I'm at home I usually have a teaspoon or so of chia seeds sprinkled over the fruit.

Here in France I see that lots of people take a coffee and a croissant or pain au chocolate, or maybe just bread (bagette). I am not sure that many Brits still adhere to the English breakfast of bacons, fried eggs, tomato, beans, mushrooms and toast (at least not every day), but as a Sunday treat....

What do you have for breakfast? Do you take breakfast at all?

And do you eat like the French, maybe a croissant or pain au chocolat - something light or a big breakfast?

I found this story hilarious. 'What’s in a name: France’s fight over chocolate pastry.' It seems that there is a big row as to the name used for what most of us know of as a pain au chocolate. In the southwest of France however, it is referred to as a ‘chocolatine’ in south-west France, and is now at the heart of a parliamentary debate. https://thelocal.fr/20170119/pastry-wars-is-it-a-pain-au-chocolat-or-a-chocolatine

https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/24/pastry-war-pain-au-chocolat-chocolatine-hits-french-parliament/

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 35,067 mod
    I have just had my usual breakfast of fruit (a couple of kiwi fruit and a couple of apricots) with some yoghurt. However instead of coffee, I'm drinking a cold mint tea. It is too hot for hot coffee. I have some in the fridge though, which I will drink when it has cooled down.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3
    > @mheredge said:

>I am not sure that many Brits still adhere to the English breakfast of bacons, fried eggs, tomato, beans, mushrooms and toast (at least not every day), but as a Sunday treat....
    >
    As I mentioned here once, the English breakfast is great after a brisk cross-country gallop in the morning.

> What do you have for breakfast?
    Cottage cheese or oatmeal porridge, sometimes fried eggs or omelette with some bread and tea.
    I had an egg salad for lunch @Practical_Severard. I tend to eat porridge in the winter more, but this is also a good breakfast to have.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 8,349 mod
    mheredge said:

I have just had my usual breakfast of fruit (a couple of kiwi fruit and a couple of apricots) with some yoghurt. However instead of coffee, I'm drinking a cold mint tea. It is too hot for hot coffee. I have some in the fridge though, which I will drink when it has cooled down.

Mint tea can be lovely, and a lot of people use it to try and deal with stress, which is an interesting use!
    Breakfast today in Belgium consisted of a croissant and coffee.
    I have been a little bit boring with breakfast recently, and more often than not I am choosing to have a simple breakfast of toast and a cup of tea.
    I am back to my normal breakfast of fruit and yogurt. I have just set off a new batch of yogurt which should be ready by the morning, but I might get some fromage blanc, which I also like for breakfast and which will be cold when I want it first thing in the morning.
    mheredge said:

I am back to my normal breakfast of fruit and yogurt. I have just set off a new batch of yogurt which should be ready by the morning, but I might get some fromage blanc, which I also like for breakfast and which will be cold when I want it first thing in the morning.

I think it's a really good start to the day to have this in the morning. I think the only reason I don't have it is because I'm too lazy to prepare these things when I've just got up.
    I find a good breakfast means that I am fired up and ready to go for the rest of the morning @GemmaRowlands. Also making breakfast helps wake me up.

This morning I made myself a cappuccino, but stuck to my usual of fruit (raspberries, blueberries, kiwi and apricot) and fromage blanc. The yogurt I made last night only went into the fridge this morning, so wasn't cold enough for breakfast today.
    mheredge said:

I find a good breakfast means that I am fired up and ready to go for the rest of the morning @GemmaRowlands. Also making breakfast helps wake me up.

This morning I made myself a cappuccino, but stuck to my usual of fruit (raspberries, blueberries, kiwi and apricot) and fromage blanc. The yogurt I made last night only went into the fridge this morning, so wasn't cold enough for breakfast today.

Yes I suppose it does help you to wake up quite well. I am always tired in the morning and don't wake up very quickly at all.
    I read about this very interesting Lebanese breakfast. I know leftover pizza from the night before quite often gets eaten for breakfast, but these are freshly baked and not quite the same as the usual pizza. It looks rather good.

This morning I varied the fruit slightly replacing the kiwi fruit by half a pear with the raspberries, blueberries and apricot. I also replaced the fromage blanc with some homemade low-fat yogurt.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/aug/08/manousheh-lebanese-flatbread-faddy-eater?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=283054&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

• HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 7,351 mod
    Day after day I try to drink a glas of water first and then I should wait, but Iˋm just too greedy I start with a mug of coffee and eat two slices of bread. One spread with butter and jam and the second one just with a few slices of cheese and in between follows an egg

To wake up the stomach a glas of stale water should do so good.
    Why stale water @Hermine? I have to admit, I have to start off the day with a cup of coffee. I drink water later in the day.

Boringly predictable, I had exactly the same for breakfast this morning as I ate yesterday, with the addition of a kiwi fruit. I had the other half of the pear that I started the day before.
    They say it is good for your stomach after a nights break. As for me I can drink a greater amount of water when it was standing overnight.

• rierie Posts: 102 ✭✭✭
    Usually, i eat rice and drink a cup of hot tea for breakfast. Some people said it was heavy meal for brekfast. But not in my country. We are used to eat rice in every meal time. I dont know why our ancestors did that. When i eat wihout rice, i dont think i have the energy to do the activity the rest of the day (hahahaha just kidding)

Here one of the example of the breakfast i had. It is called 'nasi uduk' in my country

https://cookpad.com/id/recipe/images/0d240827a5bd59f5

Have a great day everyone!
    This looks like a good breakfast to start the day @rie, though I wouldn't want it every day. A bit like the 'full English breakfast', it is substantial, which is fine if you have to go and work all day in the builds or on a construction site, but not ideal if you are going to sit in an office for the rest of the day!

In Nepal too, if they have not eaten rice in the meal, they consider they have not eaten. The word for rice - bhat - also doubles up as 'food.' On greeting you, often they will say 'Bhat khane?' or 'Have you eaten?'
  • rierie Posts: 102 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge yes i agree that too much rice is not good for our health. So, i have the solution for this matter. I decrease rice portion. Because i don't calculate breakfast without rice is real breakfast. Hahahaha.

Waaaw, it's really great that we have the similarity.
    Btw, nice to meet you 😊
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,793 mod
    I had peach, nectarine and passion fruit with yoghurt. Extremely tasty.
    This morning's fruit salad was of blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, a kiwi, an apricot and a pear with yogurt. It gave me all the energy I needed for the rest of the morning. I am taking advantage that they seem to be plentiful at the moment.
  • EzîzaEzîza Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭
    In my country the basic breakfast include: bread, yogurt, cheese, olives, fried eggs, jam, olive oil, thyme, cucumber, and tea ، then you choose what you want to eat, and usually I eat yogurt with a cup of tea .
    yes, I take it always, it's a very important meal
    More and more restaurants offer breakfast nowadays. The most expensive one I found charges € 23,-- a person.
    Wow that is exorbitant @Hermine. What do you get for this? Champagne? In Nice breakfasts in cafes cost from 2€ upwards (just a coffee and a croissant at one of the cheapest places). But typically the price is around 3-5€.
  • lisalisa Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭
    We ususally take noodles, rice, steamed stuffed buns, dumplings, soya milk, deep-fried dough sticks, ect as breakfast, gosh, I can not help controlling myself to swallow slobber.
  • walterwalter Posts: 527 ✭✭✭
    Before, I eat at my job some food which is origin from bakery. That meal have a lot dough and I know that wasn`t be a good idea for breakfast. Lately, I started to bought some food from market place and to prepare meal.
    Hermine said:

They say it is good for your stomach after a nights break. As for me I can drink a greater amount of water when it was standing overnight.

Ah right, I understand what you mean. So the water might not be stale, but it will be at room temperature and not fresh out of the tap.
    That sounds like quite a feast @lisa. I am in a real rut when it comes to breakfast at the moment. The only slight variation is whether I have kiwi and apricots with my berries and pear with yogurt. And I always have a coffee.
    @mheredge, of course we have cafes where you can get a simple breakfast, but the hotels I mentioned offer rich breakfasts with everything you can think of. Some young people who earn their own money like to meet there for a long time together it can reach up to noon. It is even popular as a present. As for me I like my breakfast with the coffee my hubby makes.

We have a furniture shop with a restaurant in it, they offer breakfasts for € 2,99.
    How does your husband make coffee @Hermine? There are so many different methods and they all make the coffee taste slightly different. At the moment I am using a filter paper as this gives a slightly more mellow taste that I like.
    mheredge said:

How does your husband make coffee @Hermine? There are so many different methods and they all make the coffee taste slightly different. At the moment I am using a filter paper as this gives a slightly more mellow taste that I like.

I think most people from Europe would be disgusted at how most Brits make coffee.. instant coffee made with granules!
    I don't like instant @GemmaRowlands. I even travel with my own ground coffee if I think I won't be able to get decent coffee in the morning. I won't have to take any to Nepal however, as they grow good stuff there, which I will get as soon as I arrive. I already have a little French press waiting for me there.