Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 30 July 2018 - Why children need social media lessons

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,047 Teacher
We read an article discussing whether children need to have lessons about how to safely use social media:

https://theconversation.com/why-children-need-social-media-lessons-67486

Vocabulary Top 5:

mobbing - moving close to someone in an excited way; crowding around someone in an aggressive, excited, or annoying way

predicate - state, affirm, or assert something

oblivious - not conscious or aware of someone or something

bravado - confident or brave talk or behavior that is intended to impress other people

the birds and the bees - the facts about how babies are made that are told to children

Do you think lessons are necessary?
Are you worried about how children use social media?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,829 mod
    What about the new craze: In My Feelings Challenge or Keke Challenge?
    That's one example of the dangers of social media, I suppose.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,829 mod
    "the birds and the bees - the facts about how babies are made that are told to children"
    We say: "flowers and bees" ; this has more sense, right? :D
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,047 Teacher
    @april you might have to explain to me what those challenges are - I've seen people tagging them but I don't really understand what they are all about! :D

Flowers and bees makes much more sense :D :D
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was growing up there was a saying which was often repeated by my parents when I liked to interfere into ' adults' discussions ', and have a say whatever.

It went roughly like that: ' before you open your mouth, just count from 1 to 10, then remain in silence '.

I admit nowadays it would sound a bit too costraining of the natural right of children to give their opinion and possibly being relatively even vocal, about whatever their social-tray has to offer daily.

The childrens' rights' watchdogs would certainly object that you, as a parent, don't have any right to rein your children in, a bit, in order to prevent them from saying something perhaps silly.

I think however, that the saying I cited, hasn't lost its validity: it could well be adopted as a rule when it comes to children and adolescents posting their comments on socials.

It would advise children to take their time and restrain their most impulsive emotions driven finger, from tapping the screen or clicking a keyboard, into a line which they could soon regret having written.

Unfortunately however, in the socials a kind of ominous magic happens: the finger which is writing suddenly transform into a chisel, the screen strengthen into a a hard surface made of stone.

Sometimes you realize what's going on while the spell is underway: you get startled, you're shocked, you would like to retrace your steps, but what's done is done: you've carved your thought on stone.

They say your youth posts can also integrate your background notes being submitted to a hoped-for employer: sometimes they really kind of seem to revel in rooting through your past social hangout, perhaps longing for compromising stuff.

In this case, though, I'm afraid the employers aren't really searching for a faultless skilled employee, but rather they morbidly are searching for the part of them which isn't anymore to be found in real life: the receptacle of anyone's faults: their childishness.

But they only end up finding its engraved epitaph, still hovering over passing generations, without really a point, with no allowed digital oblivion's right.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !