Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Let's discuss the extreme weather conditions of different countries.

lisalisa Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭
Hi guys, let's disscuss the extreme weather conditions in your countries, please list some extreme weather issues happening in your countries or your surroundings. The following is mine.

I am working in Algeria, we still have to wear very thick clothes in May of this year, due to the abnormal temperature, plenty of fruits have delayed their harvesting time, for example, we should have began to enjoy sweety and fresh grapes now, unfortunately, although there are grapes in the market now, they are very small and still not very popular as last year.

How about your country?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,678 ✭✭✭✭
    This year the weather has surprised most people @lisa, what with exceptionally cold winter weather and now in many places, long heatwaves. What people forget is that the weather is continuously fluctuating over the centuries, even if steadily it is getting warmer due to human interventions too.
  • lisalisa Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭
    Typhoons have visit China as well as other Asian countries for several times, it brings heavy rain, flood and other natural disaters, our human beings have made use of natural resoures for several centries, it seems that it is time to pay bills now. @mheredge We enjoy air conditioners during hot summer and carbon dioxide is discharged into the air, so it is very surprised that we have to tolerate the increasing temperature in the summer.
    Heat waves seem to be the problem in many countries right now @lisa.
    From the sublime to the ridiculous and I think most of Europe has been seeing storms and rain these last couple of days. There is a storm right now, with thunder but the rain seems to have stopped for the time being.
    @mheredge It seems the whole world is sufferring from extreme weahter, flood or drought, but I am not surprised about this, becuase we have been consuming the natrual resources and other items of the earth for a long time, our human beings once were happy about this, but now it is time that we should pay for our and our ancestors' behaviours, nothing is free.
    Whether it will be enough for climate change deniers to be convinced is another matter @lisa.
    Few people has realized our current and passed behaviours have led severe problems to the planet, and there are plenty of jobs to convince them. From my point of view, we really should focus on our own behaviours which obviously affect the nature deeply. @mheredge The plastic bag is nearly impossible decompose, but the supermarkets of Algeria still provide them to customers without any charges.
    They are a bit slow @lisa. Tunisia didn't seem to be so eager to give out plastic bags. And certainly in Spain and even Portugal, they are on their way out.

I am sure they will follow in time.
    Definitely, they must follow this discipline. @mheredge
    Some African countries are really attacking the problem seriously @lisa. Kenya has a zero-tolerance for plastic bags and plastic waste from what I have been reading, and this is not a rich country. If they can do it, then I think the others will follow soon.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/25/nairobi-clean-up-highs-lows-kenyas-plastic-bag-ban

@mheredge I have read this article, and their principle is called the most serious plastic banning discipline in the history. If Kenya could accomplish this achievement, other countries no matter which continent they belong to could follow this discipline as well.
    It took a while for the message to get through, but they are serious and set a great example to the rest of the world @lisa.
    I can not remember very clearly since when Chinese must pay for the plastic bags, but not forbidden, China really should forbide to use plastic bags becasue there are huge population and expendutres. @mheredge
    I don't think they are forbidden in most countries @lisa, only now they have to be paid for and I think many places now only sell reusable bags that are quite strong and don't give out the flimsy, single-use ones any more.
    Most people do not have the sense of resuing the plastic bags, or they can not remember to bring an old plastic bags when they leave their houses, such as me. Under this circumstances, we have to pay extra money to buy a new plastic bags, the key point is a new one is not very expensive, just 0.1 or 0.2 RMB, in my opinion, if the price of a new plastic bag was 1 or 2 RMB, most people could reuse it again and again or even give up using it at all. @mheredge
    @lisa I usually keep a cloth bag tucked away in a pocket of my bag and sometimes, when I think I will be buying anything cold, I also take some plastic bags too. Usually I carry around extra bags in my little daypack that normally is my 'handbag.' But I remember the first few weeks when in France they suddenly stopped giving free plastic bags in the supermarkets, I was caught out a few times. It is a habit now.
    I should build this habit as well when I am back China, the plastic bags are completely free in Algeria, which makes people be careless about reusing them at all. @mheredge
    It is pouring with rain. Quite a shock to the system after so many days of brilliant sunshine.

This summer means that the wine growers are rubbing their hands with glee. They are looking forward to an early harvest and a good year for their wine.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/aug/12/heatwave-brings-early-harvest-german-french-winemakers?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=283296&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Can you imagine, the heatweave weather will continue in the following four years, and it will be normal weather in 2040s, horrible.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/aug/14/extreme-temperatures-especially-likely-for-next-four-years
    @mheredge I love the green grapes very much, prefer them than the black ones, but they are so expensive that I do not buy until now, the price of green grapes two times as much as last year.
    Black grapes are just green ones, but riper @lisa.
    edited August 2018
    Then it can be explained why both of them are so deliciou, I love eating grapes but hate wash them, haha @mheredge
    I confess this is why I tend not to buy them @lisa. I don't like washing them either.
    Haha, but they are full of temptations due to their sweet taste, and I really can not control myself to finish them everytime, fortunately I just buy few every time, or I will be very fat now. @mheredge
    I am hooked on cherries at the moment @lisa. The ones I have been eating come from Spain and are very plump and sweet.
    @mheredge My daughter loves cherries as well as grapes very much. She suffers from astriction easily, at that time I buy pitaya for her, it is very helpful and she loves it.
    Astriction and pitaya? What are these @lisa?
    @mheredge According to the dictionary, astriction equals to constipation, pitaya is a kind of tropical fruit,

https://www.google.com/search?q=pitaya&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAqJvOjvvcAhWh4IUKHehMDpcQ_AUICigB&biw=1325&bih=571#imgrc=KGrsbiPvB1jhsM:

the taste of it is not very bad, the key point is my daughter loves eating it although it is not cheap in northern part of China, espeically in the hometown of my husband.
    There are several fruits that are also particularly good for constipation @lisa, and maybe not so expensive - like pears, oranges, kiwi fruit, raspberries and apples.
    It seems that pitaya works better for my daughter, and I do not know why she has to suffer from constipation, she was very healthy when she was a baby. Everytime when I wonder about this, I feel very sorry, because I should have stayed together and taken care of her by myself. @mheredge