Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Why drink is the secret to humanity’s success

mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,129 ✭✭✭✭
I don't suppose any other animal uses having a drink together as an excuse for more than just quenching a thirst. In particular, humans seem to be the only creatures that make and consume alcohol.

It's not just because alcohol causes people to lose their social inhibitions and become over-friendly with our drinking chums, but alcohol itself triggers the brain - the endorphin system - or neurotransmitters involved in the management of pain. That 'all’s-well-with-the-world' effect seems to be crucial for establishing bonded relationships that allow individuals to trust each other. Drinking enables humans to open up their deepest selves. When the wine is in, the truth is out - “in vino veritas”.

So alcohol has been more valuable to our species’ survival than we might imagine. It is even suggested that drinking alcohol (in moderation of course) can be good for the health!

What is your favourite drink (it doesn't have to be alcoholic)? Do you meet friends for drinks and if so, what do you tend to drink?

https://www.ft.com/content/c5ce0834-9a64-11e8-9702-5946bae86e6d

Comments

• lisalisa Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I hate drinking alcohol very much due to my father's alcoholic addiction which makes him like a lunatic when he drank. @mheredge
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,129 ✭✭✭✭
    I know quite a few people who won't touch alcohol after seeing a parent become alcoholic @lisa. A friend of mine was married to an alcoholic and she quite often volunteers to help those who want to kick the habit.
    Fortunately my husband does not like drinking or he does not drink frequently, he does not behave very silly when he drank. But I still hate drinking very much, totally nightmares for me. @mheredge
    I don't like being around people who are drunk @lisa. You never know how they will react. Some get aggressive and rude, though others maybe don't make such fools of themselves. However in moderation, there is no harm it it. Wine can made food taste even nicer. And choose the right food to go with the wine, this can make the wine taste better too. Wine is an important part of French cuisine and is often used in the cooking too.
    You're right, my dad once quarrelled with my mom after being drunk, which once made me hate him and the wine very much. @mheredge

Wine as well as beer are an important flavor in Chinese cuisine as well, there are dishes made by beer and chicken or duck together, delicious. The density of wine as flavor in the cuisine is much lower than the normal one, I think.
    I have some Japanese sake for cooking @lisa. I don't use it often but there are sometimes Asian dishes that require it and it gives a very good flavour. I don't really like much the flavour of sake otherwsie, but in cooking, it is alright.

There are many recipes that suggest cooking meat in wine as this also tenderises it, as well as making it taste nice. I cooked some wild boar in a bottle of red wine for three hours one time, over a low heat. The meat melted in the mouth!
    Asian dishe, espeically Chinese and Japanese ones, are mysterious, due to particular flavors, you know, a huge amount of money has to be paid for kinds of flavor by us. @mheredge

I do not have many opportunities to try wine, but I love one, I can not remember the name, which is made in France, delicious.
    There are lots of wines in France @lisa, made from many kinds of grapes and different depending on the region where the climate, soil and landscape all have an influence. Wine tasting is fascinating as it is almost like a scientific experiment to work out what flavours the wine makes you think of.
    I was told that the longer of storing years of wines, the better quality of wines, is it right? @mheredge I think wine tasting should have some talent, their sense of tasting must be pretty sensetive, or it is impossible to judge the quality of different wines.
    This depends on the wine @lisa. They all can keep for varying lengths of time. Some should not be stored for long, but Bordeaux and Burgundy wines especially tend to improve with age. The problem with most of the wine I have is that it probably is past its best, as it should have been drunk a few years ago. It still isn't bad though.
    The wines from Bordeaux are very famous even in China, you know, Frence is famous in China due to her romance and wines. @mheredge Have you tried this wine-La Fiole du Pape? I love it very much, this is the best one amongst all wines I have tasted until now.
    I have not come across this one but my favourite wine is Chateauneuf du Pape, which is where this comes from. Where have you had this @lisa? I will have to look out for it.
    My colleagues bought them from a wine factory, but I am quite sure this is imported from France, because I read the specification very carefully to get the original produced country is France. @mheredge It is very delicious and I love it very very much.
    I looked it up and it is wine made by a special method - some bottles can be very expensive, but it seems to retail at about 20€ a bottle. I think it is a mix of different vintages. But if it tastes anything like the typical Chateauneuf du Pape, it is lovely.