Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 14 August 2018 - What you should do in a heatwave

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,057 Teacher
We read an article looking at tips to keep cool, and which things you should and shouldn't do during a heatwave:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180801-what-you-should-and-shouldnt-do-in-a-heatwave

Vocabulary Top 6:

diuretic - a substance that increases the amount of urine you pass from your body

thermometer - an instrument used for measuring temperature

downdraft - a downward flow of air

randomised - to arrange or choose (something) in a random way or order : to make (something) random

convection - movement in a gas or liquid in which the warmer parts move up and the colder parts move down

ambient temperature - the temperature of the surrounding air

What do you do to keep cool when it's really hot?

Comments

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I want to say one thing. It's not enough to just drink water. You should drink water with salt because it helps you keep water in your body but not too much with it. And it's not good to drink a lot of water because that will flush the sodium out of our system.

Anyway, I have a good tip to help cool down our body which is to put ice packs on the pulse points of your body such as your neck, armpits, and inner thighs. It works. For a lady, it might not be elegant, but I wrap them with a towel and put it around my neck when I go out.
    I found this on Amazon which isn't cheap though.

I also found these on Amazon. Wow, it really looks good on them, but I would rather just have my own towl because it won't take me a dime.

Thank you @NatashaT , @lisa and @filauzio for letting me make a brief information of the article.

Natasha, I remember you talked about humid and shower in the last session. You said if I didn't feel dry after a shower meaning the temperature was high and humid. Could that also mean it doesn't help you in a heatwave? I mean it's like you have cold drinks in a heatwave. You may feel good at first and quench your thirst, but temporarily. In a long-term, it's better for you to have hot drinks eventually. Because it helps you sweat more. That's to say, your core body temperature is cooling down. Therefore, according to that premise, it doesn't help you sweat (drop body temperature) of taking a shower in a heatwave. However, there is one thing you must do which is that you should have a glass of water before and after taking a bath to prevent you from dehydration. Here are some references about bathing in summer. http://www.radioenciclopedia.cu/cultural-news/curiosities/bathing-in-cold-or-hot-water-in-the-summer-20170515/
    https://www.gqindia.com/content/taking-hot-bath-get-better-body-summer/
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,057 Teacher
    @Shiny03 yes, you're right - they say that a hot shower helps you cool down more than a cold shower, just like with the drinks.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, let me express my sympathy and solidarity to all brave volunteers who have willingly get their ... ehm.. rectal thermometer in order to improve thermoregulation science's progress: then, as they say, there's no accounting for taste.

Secondly, I really would try the Shiny's tip about wrapping an ice pack into a scarf and then it all around my neck.
    I think it could work: I would end out cooled down but, unfortunately, I'm afraid with the bonus of a cervical arthrosis.

It is interesting that our body's thermoreceptors can detect 1 Celsius degree's rise and set out all physiologic mechanisms aimed to bring temperature back to the standard level, the optimum for our metabolism ranging from about 36 and 37.5 °C .

Humans and other superior vertebrate are homeothermic, meaning their temperature is independent from their surroundings'.

They have evolved different mechanisms to manage to keep their inner temperature the same, whatever the climate outside.

Furred mammals, for instance, get a thicked one in winter time, while eat a greater amount of caloric food, just as we humans do by wrapping up in the warmest coats we find in our closets.

On the other hand, when the climate turns torrid, just taking off your clothes is not enough; it takes your bloodstream to incessantly move the accumulated heat towards your extremities, your hands, feet, for instance, but also ears.

There, after reaching your extremities, the heat need to be allowed flowing towards the skin's surface in order to escape as sweat.

To this purpose, the furthest thinnest blood vessels, the capillaries, have to dilate, while the heart keep accelerating its pulse.

Scientists have also found that operates a general ecological adaptation among superior vertebrate, depending on whether their habitat is mainly cold or hot.

The former inhabitants are found to be larger and heavier, while the latter feature the opposite.

This peculiar invariable characteristic has to be ascribed to the fact that, in hot habitat, the animals need a larger surface related to their body mass, in order to facilitate heat's dispersion at the extremities.

The Allen rule, for instance, say that there's correlation between furthest parts of animal body ( limbs, ears ) and neck, and thermal climate, meaning the longer and more slender your limbs and body, which favour the heat dispersion, the greater your adaptation.

This rule focuses in particular on the genus involving the fox.

The arctic species feature small ears and muzzle, together with short limbs.
    The desert species, on the contrary, feature large ears, sharp muzzle, long limbs.

Unfortunately, I've got an average size of all mentioned characteristics, so I can't but drink my fresh beer in order to cool down a bit in case of heatwave. ;)

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/content/dam/animals/thumbs/rights-exempt/mammals/a/arctic-fox_thumb.ngsversion.1483558357556.adapt.1900.1.JPG

https://ajmsnelling-adaptations.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/6/9/24692104/1277189.jpg?331

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !