Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Learn English in November

AM/PM Session - 21 August 2018 - Why athletes need a 'quiet eye'

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,255 Teacher
We read about a technique that athletes (as well as other people) can use to help them perform better:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180627-is-quiet-eye-the-secret-to-success-for-athletes

Vocabulary Top 10:

feat - an act or achievement that shows courage, strength, or skill

hair's breadth - a very small distance or amount (breadth = the distance from one side to the other side of something/ width)

crumble - to break down completely : to stop functioning

one-off - done or happening only once

streak - a period of repeated success or failure

elite - the most successful or powerful group of people

hook up - to attach (something or someone) to a device by means of electrical connections

lapse - an occurrence in which you fail to think or act in the usual or proper way for a brief time and make a mistake; an occurrence in which someone behaves badly for usually a short period of time

implicitly - understood though not clearly or directly stated

replete - having much or plenty of something : filled with something

Can you think of any athletes or other people you know who have this 'quiet eye'?
Do you have a quiet eye?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,256 mod
    Unfortunately, unlike Serena Williams, I don't have quiet eye.
    When I'm in a losing position during a match, I'll try to reverse the situation, but when my attempt doesn't seem to be successful, I'll crumble and of course I'll lose the match.
    I need to train my eyes to become quiet eyes, that's for sure. :)
    ( Could we have also both quiet eyes? )

Though, I think it isn't only the eye that helps those athletes win; it is more the athletes persistency and a moment of carelessness and loss of confidence of the opponent that could change everything.
    I remember the Wimbledon final between Steffi Graf and Jana Novotna in 1993.
    Jana were to serve for the match when she choked, made a faute and from that moment on she was not able to play as fantastic as before anymore and lost the final. ( Or maybe she made a faute and then choked??? )
    If only she had a quiet eye ...
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,255 Teacher
    @april do you think Serena has lost her quiet eye?
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not about Serena Williams, but Naomi Osaka. It proves again how important to concentrate on anything you will be doing. Simple but so true. I think everybody has watched this video, but I'll just post it, so everyone can watch it as you'd like. I heard all the things they said is, 'you were so focused.'

However, it's also important to focus on the right thing, isn't it? If Serena'd focused on serves, she wouldn't fail the game. If Naomi'd focused on the stupid audiences, she wouldn't win the game. Okay, I'm saying that Serena didn't pay attention to the game, instead kept worrying that she was gonna lose the game; otherwise, she wouldn't whine and shout at the chair umpire.
    NatashaT wrote: »
    @april do you think Serena has lost her quiet eye?

She didn't only lose her quite eye, but also her temper. :D
    @Shiny03 you are very right - it's not just about focus, but focusing on the right thing. Naomi focused on what she was doing, and how she was playing, instead of the audience and Serena, and it paid off for her! I also noticed that they used the word 'composure' too, which relates to being calm. I think that these two things - focus and composure - really worked well for her. And it shows how important these things are in big matches like this!
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NatashaT Yes, I heard the word too. I was thinking how she made it. She said she was so excited when her idol, Serena, hugged her across the net before the game, then, she said she was just trying to play the game in a respectful way to Serena and the audience. I mean she's only 20! I cried over her interviews thinking what I looked like when I was 20.... I think I have lost my composure for a long time and still can't find it.:) Just being emotional.:)
    The video is not available here, @Shiny03 .
    Interesting, @april - the video played fine for me. Maybe it's just blocked in some areas? Try searching for 'Naomi Osaka interview after defeating Serena Williams in 2018 Grand Slam final | ESPN', maybe there's another version that's available in your region.
    @NatashaT ,
    apparently the problem was the uploader.
    I managed to open another video from another uploader. :D
    Thanks, Natasha.