Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Learn English in November

Monday Night Owls - 27 August 2018 - Pseudo-AI

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,255 Teacher
We read an article about the rise of pseudo-AI - when humans pretend to be robots...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/06/artificial-intelligence-ai-humans-bots-tech-companies

Vocabulary Top 10:

AI - artificial intelligence

Wizard of Oz technique - when a user interacts with an interface without knowing that the responses are being generated by a human, not a computer

fore - in or into a place of importance; toward or at the front part

redacted - censor or obscure (part of a text) for legal or security purposes

mind numbing - very dull or boring

crowdsource - obtain (information or input into a particular task or project) by enlisting the services of a large number of people, either paid or unpaid, typically via the Internet

gig economy - a labor market characterized by the prevalence of short-term contracts or freelance work as opposed to permanent jobs

stigma - a set of negative and often unfair beliefs that a society or group of people have about something

disclose/divulge - to make (something) known to the public, especially something that was unknown

quandary - a situation in which you are confused about what to do

Would you be upset if you found out the AI service you were using was actually a real person?
Would you be upset if you found out the person you were talking to was actually a robot?

Comments

• aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,749 mod
    I would be happier if it was a robot than a human. o:)o:)
  • lisalisa Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭
    I would be embarrassed when I was informed that the AI I was just talking to was actually a real human.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's easier to have a human behaving like a robot, than a robot behaving like a human; It seems there's no question about this statement.

At least, maybe, humans can take off their masks more rapidly, just in case.

It happened to me recently to have to do with a so-called virtual assistant by phone.

I wanted to ask for informations about a coming rise in the cost of the phone service.

The registered voice of the call center promptly diverted me to the supposed robot, which it claimed to be very efficient and resourceful.

Our conversation went on like that:

' I'd like to know why you're going to charge me a higher monthly expense for the same service '

After about ten seconds, the assistant bot replied: ' I can't understand, could you repeat your question more slowly ?

' I.. would.. like.. to.. know.. what.. this.. rise.. in.. my.. phone.. contract.. fee.. is.. for.

I was speaking like a robot myself, almost interposing a regular pause, between a syllable and the next one.

After a further ten seconds, the bot went: ' I can't understand, could you use a easier way ? '

I felt it was pulling my leg.

' I.. am.. going.. to.. give.. up.. being.. your.. customer. '

In the blink of an eye, the bot recovered all of its wits and, without uttering any words, gave up itself: I suddenly heard a free phone line and a human operator took my call.

I suspect it was the same human being playing both roles, despite the voices were different; more probably my last menacing phrase triggered the switch.

Whatever the case, the robot tried to have me retrace my steps, perhaps frustratingly thinking: ' I can't manage to have my problem solved with an efficient AI provided bot, let alone if I had to tackle an emotional-brained human '.

However, he hadn't take into account the fact, if I had to do with a supposedly efficient robot who keep beating around the bush, I could smell a rat and grow unsatisfactory with such gear-ridden obtuse assistant.

Fortunately, in this case, the robot acknowledged its limit and yielded to a more flexible treatment of my case.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,255 Teacher
    @filauzio it seems you know the magic words to turn a robot into a human! :D