Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old Year and New Year by Christina Rossetti

New Year met me somewhat sad:
Old Year left me tired,
Stripped of favourite things I had
Baulked of much desired:
Yet further on my road to-day
God willing, further on my way.

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

English humour.

amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,852 mod
If you want to understand something of English satire/irony this man will give you an idea. It's not easy listening and you have to know a little of what is going on in British Poilitics but he follows a long line of political satirists.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO79NsDE5FpMowUH1YcBFcA

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 35,628 mod
    Britain in a Vegetative State is particularly apt. What a wonderful rant! Unfortunately it isn't funny because it is too true.

• Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭
    > @amatsuscribbler said:
    > If you want to understand something of English satire/irony this man will give you an idea.
    > @mheredge said:
    > Britain in a Vegetative State is particularly apt. What a wonderful rant! Unfortunately it isn't funny because it is too true.

Frankly speaking, I fail to see any humour in those videos, I've watched three of them, including the @mheredge 's one. А straight-forward, angry, emotional speech on grave political problems, yes, but humour? No.
    edited October 2018
    This episode seems a fine example of humour, though it's not at all fresh:
    youtu.be/tk7pk58Bq4Q?t=1381
    DD brought to my attention some videos mocking the recent Ms May's Kenian dance. Mr Bean rivals her in those dance-offs:

or
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,852 mod
    @Practical_Severard - that's the nuance of satire. The videos of May dancing are just trolling really, tho they are hysterical! You are right about his being angry as, indeed a lot of us are, but there is subtle humour there.

The video you posted is not funny to me! It's informative. But that's humour for you! One man's meat is another man's poison.
    > @amatsuscribbler said:
    One man's meat is another man's poison.

Very interesting, @amatsuscribbler !
    I admit that your video's talking speed is at the edge of my listening abilities. It looks like the reason why I don't see humour there. But could you please copy and paste another link, which is plain text, into the address line of your browser? I wonder whether you'll find that scene funny. I haven't embedded the Youtube video here because it won't play from the specified place, you can do it on Youtube only.
    @Practical_Severard oh dear! Now my techy ignorance is showing! :D
    Can you explain a bit more what you mean? Or @Teach might help me?!

@Practical_Severard oh dear! Now my techy ignorance is showing! :D
    Can you explain a bit more what you mean? Or @Teach might help me?!

Well, I wanted you to copy and paste the link "youtu.be/tk7pk58Bq4Q?t=1381" which I had posted before, to the address bar of your browser and push the 'Enter' button of your keyboard. I mean the the symbols between the quotation marks <">.

This will lead you to the Youtube site which will play a video from a specified place. I find that scene a fine example of humour and would like to know your opinion about it.

I haven't posted the link in the usual way, since it won't play from that place, rather from the beginning, and since the video is quite long, that wouldn't do the trick.
    Ah! Got you! Sorry to be so dense! Now I understand ROFL

Yes, Jeeves and Wooster can be very funny. It is not, however, ironic or satirical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

I'm sure irony/satire must be used in other countries?

edited October 2018

I'm sure irony/satire must be used in other countries?

Maybe that’s the right time to agree on usage of the terms. I understand ‘humour’ as “The quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech”, while ‘irony’ as “the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect” and satire as “The use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticise people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.” All definitions are taken from the Oxford online. Deducing from these definitions, irony is a literary device to gain the quality of being amusing, while satire is a certain purpose of using humour. So when I said that I saw no humour that was a 100% equivalent of that I saw nothing funny. Probably I’m wrong since using English is of more difficulty to me, that to a native speaker. In this case I’d be grateful for an explanation.

As for using irony in other countries, yes that’s used. I believe this Soviet-time political joke is an example of the both irony and satire:
    ‘Q: What is the difference between the Constitutions of the USA and USSR? Both of them guarantee freedom of speech.
    A: Yes, but the Constitution of the USA also guarantees freedom after the speech.’
    The excerpt from Jeeves and Wooster also uses irony as the humourous device:
    Lagy Glossop: ‘How would you ever support a wife, Mr. Wooster?’
    Wooster: ‘Well, it depends on whose wife it was; I would say a...gentle pressure beneath the left elbow when crossing a busy street normally fills the bill!?’

Probably I must have added the context to the dialogue what I’m doing now: Wooster’s aunt and Lady Glossop had been considering to arrange the marriage of Wooster with the Lady Glossop’s daughter. I thought for some reason that every Brit knows the ‘Jeeves and Wooster’ series by heart
    So knowing the context is important to the matter if a person finds a piece funny [or finds humour in it]. Does this excerpt from the starting message’s video make you smile?
    'Who's the best person to front a campaign for the second referendum? Who else? Gary Lineker! Gary Lineker?' Garry Lineker... It's a powerful campaign team. Seriously, almost as powerful as his amazing work on the 2013 campaign to promote Walker's new 'Flavour sensations' range. The man who once shat himself on a football field. Team Gary Lineker in front of your political campaign just shows you how little trust there is left in actual politicians. It’s like when you rely on Russel Brand to help you win elections.

I don’t and the reason most likely that I don’t know the context. I hadn't known who Garry Lineker, Walker and Russel Brand had been as well as anything about the football career of the first, and the 'Flavour sensations' promotion campaign of the second before I googled all of these, but the Wikipedia's articles didn’t really help.
    And last, on the irony usage, I think that’s the English preferred humorous device, while other people prefer others, such as the French like to use wordplay while Russians tend to use, actually overuse hyperbole.

Brits have a charming ability to be able to laugh at themselves.
    Had to laugh (not political) at how divided Britain is.

12 fun maps that show ways Britain’s divided other than on Brexit.

https://inktank.fi/12-fun-maps-that-show-ways-britains-divided-other-than-on-brexit/