Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 28 August 2018 - Working until the age of 100

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,081 Teacher
We read an article about what will happen in the future if we need to work until we are 100 years old - or even older!

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20180710-whats-it-like-working-past-your-100th-birthday

Vocabulary Top 10:

foremost - most important, leading

illustrious - admired and respected very much because a lot was achieved

pan out - to develop or happen; to turn out

eightfold - eight times as great or as many

marvel - someone or something that is extremely good, skillful, etc. : a wonderful or marvelous person or thing

part of the furniture - a person or thing that has been somewhere so long as to seem a permanent, unquestioned, or invisible feature

hone - to make (something, such as a skill) better or more effective

gerontologist - a scientist who studies old age and of the process of becoming old

manic - very excited, energetic, or emotional

senility - showing a loss of mental ability (such as memory) in old age

How old do you think you will be when you stop working?
What kind of work would you prefer to do if you were 100 and still working?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,978 mod
    When we were reading the article, we'd agree that it wasn't a bad idea to work until we're100 or more.
    Why wouldn't we? Of course we could! (really???)

I don't think we can do any jobs in our old age.
    Even if we really want to, our body won't let us to.
    It demands a rest, a bit of peace and quiet too after 100 years.
    My eyesight for example, is becoming worse (eventhough I'd like to deny it and I'm not 100 year old yet); I just can't stop this ageing process.
    So, would I let a 101 year old surgeon do a heart surgery on me? I'd think thrice if I didn't have another choice.
    This surgery needs accuracy, like all other surgeries of course.
    Even @filauzio wouldn't choose a 95 year old barber, right @filauzio ? :)

And if people keep working until the age of 100, will be there still enough jobs for the youth?
    One example, The Queen, is still working and that deprives Prince Charles (he is almost 70 year!) the possibility to reign.

We'll need another workfields if we want to continue working until 100.
    Another workfields in another pace, but would we want to do different jobs?
    I'm sure many of us would like to.
    Many elderly people do voluntary jobs, totally different from their previous jobs, as hobby or just a pastime.
    But they don't get any money.
    They have their state pension, the government still needs money to pay them.

It's not easy to become old, physically, mentally and financially.
    It won't be easy for governments to find the solution for its problem.
    (Or is it no problem at all?)

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree @april, I absolutely, for no reason, would allow a 101 years old surgeon do a heart surgery intervention on me... unless it was the only choice left. :D

@april you wrote:

'... And if people keep working until the age of 100, will be there still enough jobs for the youth?
    One example, The Queen, is still working and that deprives Prince Charles (he is almost 70 year!) the possibility to reign... '

Ahah.. you made me laugh: don't take me wrong though, it isn't that I think your statement is wrong, on the contrary I totally subscribe to it, only, I don't think the example you choosed is the one I would to best fit to the subject.

I mean, I don't think Prince Charles is still forced ( at 70 !! ) to draw on his pocket money, ( if not reigning though, but he'll have put up with that, hopefully, to date ! ) because the Queen is still riveted on the throne ( ROFL ).

However you're right.

The fact older people continue to work after their retirement age, prevents youngsters from having a choice to enter the job market.

I think older people, if they can't restrain from becoming part of the furniture of their former workplace, should allow themselves, in some cases, to be employed on a voluntary basis, or perhaps payed a fraction of their last salary, in the role of assistant and adviser.

They should work side by side with neophytes to the job, just the time to hammer the basics home, then, the moment they become independent, get off the way.

As to the older lecturers who teach in universities far beyond their supposed retirement age, let's say 70-75 years old, as well as hospital's doctors and chief physicians in their sectors, I suppose there might arise another kind of problem.

They often indulge to the blameworthy practice of nepotism, which is when, by exploiting your position of power, you appoint your own family members preferably, over unknown outsiders, for subordinate positions.

Maybe, in this case, the comprehensible push of a grandfather to be surrounded by grand-daughters, grand-sons, grand-children and so on, can lead a family sentiment to stretch the rules a bit.

All the same, I think it reasonable to say you can't turn the hospital's personnel a clan, or the professorship a prerogative of a divine right unique descent line.

Nevertheless, it's true that maybe, with the advent of technology, robots, AIs and augmented reality, future 70, 80 years-old people and even centenarians will be allowed to work and be useful and profitable, with their crystallised intelligence.

In my ideal world, then, since fresh energies and manual works wouldn't be needed anylonger, youngsters would be banned from work until they hit 40, and will be compelled to enjoy travelling all over the world at the expense of the state, which will join the banks to loan youth the necessary money.

Then, after enjoying their gap-decades, when they'll finally start out working, they will pay back their debt, as a series of instalments drawn from their salary.

What's best than just start working when you hit your forties, especially if you have been on holiday all your life before ?
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • BassaBassa Posts: 105 ✭✭✭
    Hi @NatashaT ,
    I also think that working until 100 is a great beautiful idea but as an idea should remains the same ,
    Don’t want to say to ban it, who is eager, passioned and really wants to continue can keep going ! I trust in the freedom of choise !
    But for all others I think the work prospective is already too high ...
    65,67,70...we have to think that if you stay at your work place until that age you maybe will have worked 40/45 years or more for a lot of people...
    My question is ? Is it normal ?
    Maybe the trend should be to reduce and not to increase ...
    We pay and pay and pay taxes ... we will recover all money paid once retired ?
    We should pay taxes to pay ours retirements and instead we are paying pensions for current retirees , something is going wrong .....
    Another big problems: if all elders are employed in a world in which the job request is always less , what do we have to do with youngers?
  • SunInVirgoSunInVirgo Posts: 52 ✭✭
    The relatively good health of those people (for their age, of course) is
    largely the result of their genetics. Not everyone is so lucky. The future of
    the labor market is vague. The following technical revolution is on the way. Many works
    will be completely automated, and the great quest for a job will be challenge for the
    people that are much more younger then 100 years old. This is an interesting article, but
    the exception only proves the rule.