Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget the calendar. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to check where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice
https://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Reading Practice
https://learn-english.online

Writing Practice on our forum and Discord server.

Listening Practice
Podcasts on Spreaker
https://www.spreaker.com/user/learnenglishnetwork
Videos on our YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/learnenglishnetwork

Budget airlines - horror stories?

2»

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    JMAROUF said:

the best airline in my country is royal air maroc but it is very expensive , especially in the internal flights

It is a shame that the airline is so expensive, but sometimes it is good to pay for a really good airline as you can have a better experience during your flight.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Flights to Kathmandu are on special offer during December and January so I'm wondering whether to come back then, as I like Nepal in the winter months.
    Ryan Air has changed its baggage rules the second time in a year. I do hate when they do this, as when I booked my flight for the end of the month, I was obviously not aware they would be reducing still further my hand luggage allowance. It looks like I will have to pay extra now, as the handluggage allowed that is free, starting today, has been cut hand luggage by two-thirds. So unless you pay extra, you're restricted to just a single case measuring 40x25x20cm or a volume of 20 litres (tiny), compared with the previous limit of 58 litres in two bags.

Their excuse is that the change will enhance punctuality, and that it is not intended to increase revenue (hahaha). A new, cheaper category for checked baggage weighing up to 10kg has been introduced on the same day.

So as around 30,000 Ryanair passengers are expected to depart from Stansted Airport on the first day of the new rules, the airport opened its security lanes early, at 2.30am! They say that the new regulations may not be enforced rigorously from day one and the gauge at the departure gate to check size is 25 per cent bigger than the stipulated dimensions.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ryanair-wizz-air-baggage-policy-allowance-change-carry-on-fees-stansted-airport-a8611681.html

• Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Well, once I flew with the local budget airline (we have only one registered here as far as I know). Their seats wouldn't recline and they allowed only one piece of cabin luggage per passenger, and the form of it was important as well. Such as the gentlemen were allowed only a briefcase and nothing else, as for the ladies, they could take only a handbag with them, so anyone who wanted to take a rucksack into the cabin, no matter big or small, had to pay a considerable fee. I was on a business trip and the contents of my rucksack were quite important so I chose to pay. Other than that, though the employer refunded the expenses, nothing during that 1.5 hour long journey was worth complaining. But I wouldn't take a plane with non-reclining seats to be flying for a long time, such as 11 hours to Hong Kong.
    Post edited by Practical_Severard on
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 3,077 mod
    I cannot remember any company introducing a change of rule like that retrospectively! Imagine you booked your tickets 2 months ago! You turn up and get told you have to pay more?!
    I didn't dare risk that they charge me a lot more at the gate @amatsuscribbler. Last time I flew with them they had already changed to having a tiny bag under the seat and then if they didn't have enough space in the overhead lockers left after 'premium' paying passengers put hand-baggage there, they put your hand-luggage in the hold but did not charge. So I was was banking on this. Now it is pay regardless, unless you only have a tiny bag under the seat.

This sounds like the model that Ryan Air is following. However I think non-reclining seats are not a bad idea, even for long haul.
    mheredge said:

Ryan Air has changed its baggage rules the second time in a year. I do hate when they do this, as when I booked my flight for the end of the month, I was obviously not aware they would be reducing still further my hand luggage allowance. It looks like I will have to pay extra now, as the handluggage allowed that is free, starting today, has been cut hand luggage by two-thirds. So unless you pay extra, you're restricted to just a single case measuring 40x25x20cm or a volume of 20 litres (tiny), compared with the previous limit of 58 litres in two bags.

Their excuse is that the change will enhance punctuality, and that it is not intended to increase revenue (hahaha). A new, cheaper category for checked baggage weighing up to 10kg has been introduced on the same day.

So as around 30,000 Ryanair passengers are expected to depart from Stansted Airport on the first day of the new rules, the airport opened its security lanes early, at 2.30am! They say that the new regulations may not be enforced rigorously from day one and the gauge at the departure gate to check size is 25 per cent bigger than the stipulated dimensions.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ryanair-wizz-air-baggage-policy-allowance-change-carry-on-fees-stansted-airport-a8611681.html

I think "cheap" airlines do this quite a lot, so by the time you have paid all of the extra charges that they add on, it isn't really all that cheap anymore.
    It is so much more complicated to navigate their websites too @GemmaRowlands, if you don't want all their added extras.

I am a fan of British Airways (I went off them for a while). But they provide cheap prices but still with a modicum of sense and certainly treat passengers better.

I applaud the latest idea to ban alcohol in the morning at airports.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/02/even-i-can-see-the-upside-of-a-ban-on-morning-drinking-at-airports?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0Jlc3RPZkd1YXJkaWFuT3BpbmlvblVLLTE4MTEwMg==&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=BestOfGuardianOpinionUK&CMP=opinionuk_email

• VokVok Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭
    I had to pay extra for my additional luggage yesterday. They almost made me pay for a hand luggage as it didn't fit into one of the sizing frames. I had no intention to pay for my rucksack and asked if I could take something out and try again. If it had been Ryanair, they would have made me pay through the nose no doubt about that. Instead they kindly provided me with a cotton bag and part of my belongings moved there. The problem was solved.
    That was nice of them @Vok. I remember having a run in with a budget airline in Colombia where my small suitcase was a few millimetres too wide for their measuring gauge. They would have had me pay through the nose and since it was such an old suitcase, I was prepared to abandon it. However in the end the woman relented. I think I have already told this story, but the woman looked uncannily like one of Botero's fat ladies.

She looked very similar to this one:

mheredge said:

It is so much more complicated to navigate their websites too @GemmaRowlands, if you don't want all their added extras.

I am a fan of British Airways (I went off them for a while). But they provide cheap prices but still with a modicum of sense and certainly treat passengers better.

I applaud the latest idea to ban alcohol in the morning at airports.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/02/even-i-can-see-the-upside-of-a-ban-on-morning-drinking-at-airports?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0Jlc3RPZkd1YXJkaWFuT3BpbmlvblVLLTE4MTEwMg==&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=BestOfGuardianOpinionUK&CMP=opinionuk_email

Yes that's true. I also agree about the alcohol thing, as I don't really think there's any need to drink when you're flying - at all, not just in the morning. There's just too much trouble caused by people getting drunk before they fly.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands I agree, but for some people this's the only way to overcome their phobias.
    I am not sure if it is a particularly British problem too @GemmaRowlands. Or maybe it is not so widely reported by other countries. I notice these days it really depends a lot of the nationality of the passengers. The French like their wine with the food, but generally even when airlines give alcoholic drinks with their meals, I have noticed fewer and fewer people drinking alcohol. Especially for long haul flights, it is dehydrating and not recommended.
    Ryan Air is at it again, this time with a system upgrade - but they will be charging passengers who don't check-in before the two-day system close-down!

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ryanair-website-down-12-hours-november-check-in-flights-upgrade-fees-a8618681.html
    mheredge said:

I am not sure if it is a particularly British problem too @GemmaRowlands. Or maybe it is not so widely reported by other countries. I notice these days it really depends a lot of the nationality of the passengers. The French like their wine with the food, but generally even when airlines give alcoholic drinks with their meals, I have noticed fewer and fewer people drinking alcohol. Especially for long haul flights, it is dehydrating and not recommended.

I could definitely believe that it was a British problem though, as I think our country as a whole do have an unhealthy attitude towards drinking.
    Sadly I think you are right @GemmaRowlands. Worse still, Britain has a bad reputation abroad for drinking too much. It is not so much the quantity but the way of drinking as many other nationalities drink far more per head but pace themselves and don't usually behave badly.
    mheredge said:

Sadly I think you are right @GemmaRowlands. Worse still, Britain has a bad reputation abroad for drinking too much. It is not so much the quantity but the way of drinking as many other nationalities drink far more per head but pace themselves and don't usually behave badly.

Yes I think people want to go on holiday specifically so they can drink a lot of the time. I don't drink very much at all, so I disagree with this kind of approach.
    It is a shame @GemmaRowlands that so many people do this. They also are harming their health as it is not good to drink so much. Everything in moderation!
    mheredge said:

It is a shame @GemmaRowlands that so many people do this. They also are harming their health as it is not good to drink so much. Everything in moderation!

I think a lot of people do it because they are nervous of flying a little bit as well, so they think it can calm their nerves down.
    When I am travelling I want to be alert and not forget anything, so I think drinking is not a good idea @GemmaRowlands.
    mheredge said:

When I am travelling I want to be alert and not forget anything, so I think drinking is not a good idea @GemmaRowlands.

Yes, and particularly when you need to get everything right while going through an airport - and if you don't know the destination that you're travelling to.
    I will be flying to Kathmandu on Oman Air in a few weeks. It was a very cheap flight, and I have never flown with them before. It is a shame that Turkish Airline's fares were considerably more as I much prefer flying with them.

Budget travel: ‘The plane is too heavy’

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/shortcuts/2019/aug/07/budget-airline-disasters-low-cost-flying-nightmares

And British Airplanes yesterday in Valencia:

• mandalaputramandalaputra Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Budget airline in Japan are have good service. flying by budget airline is good for short flight. like 2 until 3 hours. they don't have any entertainment either. the legroom was terrible. I wish I can afford the better flight even for short flight.
    I never flew in Japan, though I have flown with Air Asia, a budget airline and found it was a lot better than the UK equivalent, easyjet or the Irish Ryan Air @mandalaputra. I am very lucky as I am neither fat nor do I have long legs, so I fit quite easily into the cramped seats that most budget airlines provide. I also take a book, so never need to be entertained when I fly.
  • mandalaputramandalaputra Posts: 10 ✭✭
    I think I have to make a new habit to read more book to entertain my self. and also i can't be focus during flight to read books. But I really like watching movie inside the aircraft. :D @mheredge
    I quite like watching movies during day time longer flight @mandalaputra but at night I prefer to try to catch some sleep. I particularly like to read while waiting for embarkation as I usually find the novelty of wandering around window shopping wears off very quickly.