Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 3 September 2018 - From Africa to tea with the Queen

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,045 Teacher
We read a story about a woman who decided to drive from Cape Town to Buckingham Palace to have tea with the Queen:

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20180718-from-africa-to-tea-with-the-queen

Vocabulary Top 10:

breeze through - to easily succeed at something

slot into - to fit easily into something

incensed - to be very angry

pledge - to formally promise to give or do (something)

buoyed - to cause (someone) to feel happy or confident

raring to go - ready and excited to start to do something; very eager

indomitable - impossible to defeat or discourage

come to blows - to begin fighting; to begin hitting each other

interspersed - put at different places among other things

in a jiffy -in a very brief time

Have you ever gone on a long road trip like this?
What do you think would be the best and the most difficult aspects of a long road trip?

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read this article twice, it was an engaging journey account I really appreciated: great choice @NatashaT ;).

I felt like the old woman's odyssey wasn't really just a mere adventurous trip, but rather a defiance of biases about what both women and older people's pushes has to be.

' Do you want me to sit back on the sofa, waiting to die ? '

No, really not: I would like to see old people in their 70s, 80s and possibly even older people, stretching the rule which want them languish in their forsaken by family members homes, with the wrong idea they have no right to further roles after grandchildren have grown.

She must have been a funny picture: a nanny driving a battered car, with the interiors lined in floral, completely on their own, through the immense, hidden dangers interspersed savannah.

I would like having occupied her car's back seat, though, in the form of a fairy accompanying her singing hymns, all the way through the Sudan desert to Khartoum.

If you never try something, you'll remain all life haunted by the painful doubts perhaps you might have made it.

In some African cultures, the article reminded us, the olders are considered those the wisdom lie with, whom you have to hold in awe, stick to whenever they happen to give you advice on how to deal with a puzzling situation.

I like to think the old lady was thought of as one of the villagers theirs, therefore welcomed and honoured and listened to attentively, the attitude you would have when getting absorbed reading a book.

Because the olders are like good books which lack just a few pages: at this point, the writer has rather slacked off, losing the inspiration for a great final.

He then decided to give up finishing them and opted to crowdsource to be done with.

Their plot has got the past and the present: they just need to share a bit more future with us to definitely hit the shelves.

In cultural towns, we usually spot crowds of olders shuffling tiredly, noses up, sheperded by a heading guide waving a bright coloured umbrella: that's the customary way olders are involved in trips, which involve go sightseeing the landmarks and possibly visiting a few museums.

World has changed though: hopefully there will be even more squat, battered ' Tracy ', racing with elephants, while driving and cuddling energic nannies on their age-mocking claim of freedom.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !