Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Learn English in November

AM/PM Session - 4 September 2018 - 5 countries that set world culture

The article this week talked about five of the countries which help define culture around the world:

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20180701-the-five-countries-that-set-world-culture

Vocabulary Top 10:

populace - the people who live in a country or area

cutting edge - the newest and most advanced area of activity in an art, science, etc.

cliché - a phrase or expression that has been used so often that it is no longer original or interesting

outsize - very large in size

top-notch - of the best quality

populous - having a large population

upbringing - the way a child is raised : the care and teaching given to a child by parents or other people

savoured - to enjoy (something) for a long time, especially a taste or smell

flair - a natural ability to do something; an unusual and appealing quality or style

pun - a humorous way of using a word or phrase so that more than one meaning is suggested (e.g. She's a skillful pilot whose career has really taken off. take off = to begin to fly; take off = to become very successful)

Do you agree with this list?
What other countries would you add, and why?

Comments

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found the movie which is commercially successful in America starring an all Asian and Asian-American cast. 'It is the first film by a major Hollywood studio to feature a majority Asian American cast in a modern setting since The Joy Luck Club in 1993.' quotes Wiki. Can you believe that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Rich_Asians_(film)

I really don't agree with this article. I am sorry, but I don't see the world as they see. My world doesn't revolve around yours. I mean it's not hard to understand their reviews about the world. That's to say, we all see things filtered through our beliefs and those beliefs are from our experiences. It's not about true or false. I have my opinions which are what I learnt from my experiences, so don't say I am wrong, because it's like to say I've never existed. The feeling is like to deny who I am. Besides, whoever made this list is definitely not from Asia.

Anyway, I live in Japan. As for me, those cultural things in the city I live are more influenced by Korea and China year by year. I don't see there's any American town or European town in my neighbourhood. How to say....okay, I eat cheese or pizza sometimes, but I don't eat them every day. I mean it's not like it has become a part of my life and I can't live without it. Wrong instances?! ...Okay, whenever I turn on the TV, they make this kind of TV show, how Japanese people influence/have been influenced the world or attribute/have been attributed to the world. But I bet not many people abroad knowing that. Even more difficult to understand?! Never mind....that's why I struggle in speaking out.

I'm digressing. Okay, if they made a list, then, I am going to make my own list, too. That's what the writer said, let's talk about food, fashion, entertainment which impact the world most and strongly.
    Food: macrobiotic diet (please don't bother to google it. No need for me to copy it here, right?) People in western didn't eat nori, konbu and wakame. They thought it was gross but look at it now, it's considered the healthy food. Which country invented instant noodles? (yay, another junk food, but everyone in the world eats it, even astronauts.)

Fashion: Louis Vuitton is the typical example.
    LV's spring collection. For more information, please google, Louis Vuitton chinoiserie collection.

LV's designers extended the Chinese New Year festivities. Can you recognize what animal on that shirt is?

LV's first ever Asian male

Entertainment: Hollywood hires so many directors from Korea, Hong Kong, China and Japan. Which means those films may include concepts from Asia. How to say...those films might be produced by Hollywood, but definitely not in the usual Hollywood way. In addition, I never expected that I could read Taoism or Confucianism in English. By the way, the book, The Tao of Pooh, is quite interesting.

Last, if someone is going to say, 'Oh, the things you said just happened recently,' I'll give you another evidence which is a book, The Yellow Danger. Although it's a novel, people in western have been thinking it as a treat. (Lots of people think it's real.) "China in the Western imagination has long been both the repository of fantasy and a mirror of our disquietudes. In the early twentieth century Sax Rohmer created the fiendish Dr. Fu Manchu as the epitome of Chinese threat, ‘the yellow peril incarnate in one man’ intent on nothing less than the downfall of Western civilization." -London fictions This book was first published in 1898. I feel my brain a bit exhausted. Can't organize my mind at the moment. I'll finish it sometime.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,255 Teacher
    @Shiny03 I definitely think that this list would change from person to person, and also from country to country. I think every country is influenced by the countries around it, no matter where they are.

I also think that Asian countries have had a much larger effect on world culture than this article makes it seem! Food, fashion, music, movies - and even books and trends (who hasn't heard about Marie Kondo and The Magic of Tidying Up?). I'm sure there are many examples from all these categories that we could list!
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NatashaT Yes, that's it! I can't believe you expressed my thoughts just into some words.:) By the way, have you ever noticed that the world map in different countries shows different views? When I see the world map in Japan, I see the world is around it. But when I see the world map in other countries, they are in the center of the map.
    Did you know the interesting facts below:
    US Moved Down Next To Australia Looks Unbelievably Small

Australia Is Way Bigger Than You May Think - It Covers Almost The Whole Of Europe

Maybe you have already known it, but it's quite interesting for me sometimes to see the world from different countries' views.:)