Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

Monday Night Owls - 10 September 2018 - Texting vs Email

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,172 Teacher
We read an article debating why we love texting so much but hate email:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20180802-why-we-hate-using-email-but-love-sending-texts

Vocabulary Top 10:

ire - intense anger

gimmick - a method or trick that is used to get people's attention or to sell something

flash-in-the-pan - a person or thing that fails after being very popular or successful for a brief time

loathe - to hate (someone or something) very much

staid - serious, boring, or old-fashioned

hip -cool; very popular or fashionable

cathartic - the act or process of releasing a strong emotion (such as pity or fear) especially by expressing it in an art form

purge - physically remove (something) completely; rid (someone) of an unwanted feeling, memory, or condition,

asynchronous - not existing or happening at the same time

mull over - to think about (something) slowly and carefully

Do you prefer email or texting?
Do you think texts will ever replace email completely?

Comments

• BassaBassa Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    Hi @NatashaT ,
    First of all: I hate e-mails :)
    Why ? Because they are too formal ! every time when you have to answer you need to think a lot about it and this takes you time , essentially they are the office tasks essence !

The Sms even if nowadays I’d like to say more WhatsApp, are faster and especially is supponed you will write in an informal way !
    Sometimes sending a photo or an audio record ....so that I feel to communicate what I really want to say ! While with mails you communicate something with a filter... the filter of the formal life ! “You are not you “ but the mask you are putting to answer to the mail ...

Better solution in every case : speak looking other person in her eyes :) !
  • lisalisa Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭
    @NatashaT I do not think e-mail will be replaced by text message, there are some files which must be transferred by e-mails and e-mails in most cases are much more official than text messages.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose originally emails had the peculiartity of making you able to send a heavy attachment together with the message, whereas texts lacked this possibility.

However, nowadays, with such apps as Whatsapp, you can text and send heavy attachments as well: you can also send videos, which means maybe the weight in terms of mega bytes isn't a limit anymore.

Now, with your smartphones, you can text in real time via the Internet connection: therefore, if your internet provider's contract allows you enough gigabytes on monthly basis, you can engage in messaging activity without caring of the bytes' count.

This is a great advantage; I still remember the ' primordial age ', ( which was just two decades ago or just a bit longer in the past, by the way ), when your cell phone allowed you to feel at the cutting edge of mobility connection.

Not so long had passed, then, since we had first got rid of the telephone boxes, and amazingly we couldn't just telephone, but also messaging on the go.

You wrote your message which really took ages; the plastic rigid pad got sticking out buttons, fairly hard to press: what's worse, initially every button equalled to just one alphanumeric symbol !!

What a relief, really, when there started to appear, as a grateful feature, the three-choice characters' option embodied into any button.

The speed of typing boosted thanks to that simple and practical improvement, which allowed the functionality of a whole keyboard within such limited dialing surface.

' message forwarded ' read the tiny led screen, and you imagined it taking off from the spot and flying towards its destination by mysterious propulsion means.

It always took a reasonable time gap, before reply, but you had got accustomed to put up with such quite bearable delay; after all it also gave you the opportunity to mull over your answer, just the way you would do with emails.

In such respect, maybe, the old-fashioned texts were more formal than today's Whatsapp's message.

The thread of replies keep growing on your smartphone's screen, the answers keep accumulating in ever more excited rhythm,

sometimes, it reminds me of the way the rain's drops fall on the ground, when it suddenly increases from lazily spotting to drizzling in no time.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I always prefer to text, because it feels as though it is much quicker. I do email rather than text when I am communicating in relation to business though, as I do find it much more professional.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 43,393 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like text messages as much as email as they are sometimes so brief that they can lead to misunderstandings. They have their value for sending information or asking short, yes or no questions, but for true communication, I still prefer sentences.
  • ech0panditech0pandit Posts: 349 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I like texting, informal quick and questions are allowed
    mheredge said:

I don't like text messages as much as email as they are sometimes so brief that they can lead to misunderstandings. They have their value for sending information or asking short, yes or no questions, but for true communication, I still prefer sentences.

I always write text messages in proper sentences. Gone are the days where you're limited to a certain number of characters.
    Even written in full, I'm not sure what limit there's to an SMS message, but it doesn't normally let you write much. Messenger is better for this.
    mheredge said:

Even written in full, I'm not sure what limit there's to an SMS message, but it doesn't normally let you write much. Messenger is better for this.

I do use Messenger more than anything else to be honest, but even when I text people I have never found a limit - not in recent years, anyway! I do write long messages sometimes so I don't think the limit is low.
    I hate trying to read long messages on my phone, so I suppose texting is best for just sending short messages. In general I prefer emails but only if I am using my laptop or tablet.
    mheredge said:

I hate trying to read long messages on my phone, so I suppose texting is best for just sending short messages. In general I prefer emails but only if I am using my laptop or tablet.

Yes I am similar sometimes, as I like to be able to see the whole message on one screen while I am composing my reply if at all possible.
    This is one of the benefits of a small tablet, as at least it is easier to see the whole message. I hate trying to read anything long on my mobile phone as the screen is too small.
    mheredge said:

This is one of the benefits of a small tablet, as at least it is easier to see the whole message. I hate trying to read anything long on my mobile phone as the screen is too small.

I have an iPhone 8 Plus so the screen is quite big, so I don't tend to struggle with reading messages.
    Well the tablet is a bit big to use as a phone @GemmaRowlands. To be honest, I much prefer the laptop for writing emails.