Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 11 September 2018 - Will we ever have trillionaires?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,045 Teacher
We read an article about whether we will ever have trillionaires, and how someone might be able to become one:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20180813-will-we-ever-have-trillionaires

Vocabulary Top 10:

just shy of - having less than a full or expected amount or number

accrue - to increase in value or amount gradually as time passes : to grow or build up slowly

kleptocrats - a ruler who uses political power to steal his or her country's resources

gauge - to measure (something) exactly

take it with a pinch/fistful of salt - to not completely believe (something) : to be doubtful about the truth or accuracy of (something)

give your hind teeth for something - to give something you consider very precious, usually in exchange for an object or situation you want

derivative - something that comes from something else : a substance that is made from another substance

inflation - a continual increase in the price of goods and services

bloviating - talk at length, especially in an inflated or empty way

monetize - earn money from something; convert into money

Do you think we will see someone become a trillionaire in the future?
What would you do if you were a trillionaire?

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On reading that Mr. Bezos, the head of Amazon, has to spend 28 million dollars per day, in order not to increase his already colossal amount of wealth, I feel it a filthy idea just to have it pass in my mind.

I'm afraid he's doomed to accumulate ever more money, because I really can't work out how he could spend all that money, unless he goes for new motor yachtes or private planes and helicopters on daily basis.

It is interesting that this company didn't hit the mass-market by rolling out some kind of innovative electronic device though, as it's the case with smartphones and tablets, but rather by fulfilling the new expectations that such devices had brought along.

Amazon has based its core business as an online retailer, on the fact our second life on the web has gone so far as to even absorb one among the most authentic real life activities before its advent: go shopping.

Therefore, maybe we can say that this goods delivery company has been able to succeed and thrive as a consequence of the worldwide success of the mobile phone and its versatile applications operating it.

In a way, I think any businesses which can provide services and goods quickly and easily can make it, nowadays, even if just a few can finally get a universally acknowledged reputation worth, eventually, a trillion dollars profits.

Reputation itself, I suppose, can really make the difference, especially when you're not a genuine innovator, but just a service provider. Your service or product reliability, as soon as it appears on comments on socials, is like a thumb up/ thumb down verdict.

I think nowadays, whoever can come up with devices or services, which can help us save time, alternatively entertain and relax us, in doing so whiling away hours, perhaps while moving somewhere else, can have the higher chances of becoming a trillionaire.

Maybe it's not by sheer chance that the most visionary business people are thinking of a future of moving people without anyone driving them.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !