Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Learn English in November

AM/PM Session - 18 September 2018 - The world's longest commutes

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,255 Teacher
We read an article about super-commuters - people who travel long distances to get to work:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20141118-the-worlds-longest-commutes

Vocabulary Top 10:

swap - to replace (something) with something else

fortnight - a period of 14 days : two weeks

cram - to fill (something) so that there is no room for anything else : to fill (something) completely

trade-off - a situation in which you must choose between or balance two things that are opposite or cannot be had at the same time; something that you do not want but must accept in order to have something that you want

beckon - to attract (someone or something); to signal (someone) with your arm or hand in order to tell that person to come closer or follow

offset - to cancel or reduce the effect of (something) : to create an equal balance between two things

proliferation - increasing in number or amount quickly

leap - a great and sudden change, increase, or improvement

cliche - a phrase or expression that has been used so often that it is no longer original or interesting

comfort zone - a place, situation, or level where someone feels confident and comfortable

How long is your commute?
Would you ever consider having a super-commute? What would you do to make it easier?