Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

You Need Therapy!

aladdinaladdin Radio ProducerLEOnetworkPosts: 1,723 mod
edited September 2018 in People and Society
5 Signs that You Need Therapy!

1. You find yourself tearful for no reason.

2. You find yourself thinking more negatively and are unable to talk back to any of the negative thoughts.

3. You notice yourself slipping into old unhealthy habits.

4. You feel like your emotions are running you versus you being in control of them.

5. You think about death or killing yourself.

Post edited by aladdin on
Tagged:

Comments

• ZomZom Shadok Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You are worrying me, Aladdin. Are you OK and the people around you OK?
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,937 mod
    edited September 2018
    His reply to your comment was LOL, so I don't think we need to worry too much. However, #5 is a bit obvious, and there is nothing wrong with #3. LOL
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,937 mod
    I guess it depends on the emotions you are feeling.
  • aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,723 mod
    I'm OK :D don't' worry I will not leave you enjoying with the crown on the top of the Discord leaderboard. It just a video I want to share. I've got 3 signs out of 5 "2,3&5" :D.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    > @Teach said:
    > I guess it depends on the emotions you are feeling.

There are few (or none) people who are 100% run by the emotions, but if we dig into the issue we'll find out that their roles is huge. Psychologists say that of all the information a person receives during a conversation 90% is non-verbal, conveyed with the mimics, tone, etc. This information is purely emotional.
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    In the meantime, I'll keep doing what I do every day, I'll keep enjoying my precioussss Discord crown. >.<

It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,119 mod
    I think a lot of people are in need of help without even knowing it, so we should all look out for each other to make sure we're okay.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 37,349 mod
    Certainly being cut off from the world for a couple of weeks was extremely restful and I didn't miss the internet at all during this time. That in itself suggests to me that maybe I am not such a hopeless addict as I thought! :)
    So lucky you @mheredge you don't need to visit a therapy :smile:
  • viciumartisviciumartis Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    well i have been in therapy for maybe if i sum it up about a year, year and a half..i always felt anxiety but then again in 2012. i broke and went to OCD scenario again..so I now remeber retrograde that when i was just a little boy i had compulsions but it took about 10 years or more to seek help and recognise the signs and ironically is that i am educated medical tehnician and occupational therapyist..

i am under drugs but also i found CBT and psychology treatment the most useful..beause if you wait for drugs to work you will be waiting in despare and the more anxious you are..

altough at the moment i am not in opportunity to pay myself psychology course/undergraduate/CBT as a part time, we in Croatia are so stupid (goverment) that they obstruct you in the way you want to learn..i dont want to go through the matriculation, i want to be able find part time solution ,in acceptable terms of paying, in rates..evening/adult ..i would work my ass of and i believe with my own experience it would be beneficial to work with me..
    edited October 2018
    @viciumartis you are right, too often the 'authorities' in whatever form they take try to control too much what is considered to be the 'norm.' I wasn't quite sure what you meant by 'matriculation.' Do you mean the conventional education system?
    Post edited by mheredge on
    I saw this article describing "Ten Minutes to Happiness", where you keep a daily journal focusing on the following:

1. What experiences, however mundane, gave you pleasure?
    2. What praise and feedback did you receive?
    3. What were the moments of pure good fortune?
    4. What were your achievements, however small?
    5. What made you feel grateful?
    6. How did you express kindness?

Research suggests that taking a little time to reappraise your day in these ways can slowly shift your mindset so that you eventually find more happiness in your life. When you feel low, it is easy to overlook the things that are going right.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20181016-how-to-boost-your-mood-with-one-10-minute-exercise
  • viciumartisviciumartis Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Well by wiki it is the universal term for qualification exams after secondary education, when you applying for university..i found it by typing Leaving certificate examination (ireland)..unfortunatley the conventions are presenting education,they have a norm of the department of education without asking kids or adult how they feel when the teachers lecturing..oftenly approach is bad, they dont care or they lack in interest of the individuals who are little, lets say slower in processing infos, but they dont have to be really slower..

about matriculation term:
    wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaving_Certificate_(Ireland)
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @aladdin, well, I do need therapy. Every English session is terrible stress: you have to be prepared for everything. It's literally learning by dying. I constantly stammer.
    What is sanity? WHo doesn't need some kind of therapy in this day and age @Xanthippe? But whatever you feel stress about, please don't feel stressed about English sessions. Live is far too short!
    @mheredge, well, I'll try but @Teach is so merciless. She corrects every mistake and she plays Vikings. ;)
    She only does it because she knows that you can handle it @Xanthippe. When I am talking to French friends, I always like it when they correct my mistakes. This way (hopefully) I can make fewer errors in future.
    So you can blame Vikings :wink: @Xanthippe. Come to my session and we will feel better :cold_sweat:
    edited October 2018
    @aladdin, that's a good idea. :fearful:
    Xanthippe said:

@aladdin, well, I do need therapy. Every English session is terrible stress: you have to be prepared for everything. It's literally learning by dying. I constantly stammer.

You will learn to be more confident though as your English vocabulary increases, and I am certain that your stammer will disappear then :).
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,931 mod
    There is no need to be nervous here though. No-one is marking you @Xanthippe or judging you. Just helping. Oh, and do come join us in Vikings! <3
    I had some good therapy seeing a friend last night. She's eight months pregnant @lisa. She was told by doctors ginger tea and eating are the best remedies for morning sickness, which she said worked a dream for her. I was getting all worked up about my move, but she offered some sensible suggestions and I feel a lot more relaxed now.
  • lisalisa Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge I want to threw up even when I drink the water, it is so horrible that I think I am on the way of dying. :'(
    Thanks, guys, you are very sympathetic. :) :) :)
    Have you tried ginger tea @lisa? It might work. Ginger has very good medicinal properties as well as tasting very nice.
    lisa said:

@mheredge I want to threw up even when I drink the water, it is so horrible that I think I am on the way of dying. :'(

If you're struggling to that extent you should see your doctor, as you might be dehydrated as well, so you need to make sure you can keep fluids inside you.
    edited October 2018
    I've tried it @mheredge, I feel it didn't work :D. Maybe it doesn't work with caffeine. I think I get a lot of it inside my body nowadays